Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (updated 2021-01-12)  (Read 95956 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (updated 2021-01-12)
« on: September 12, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »

Gates Awakened
v2.1.1

Gates Awakened adds a short series of quests that open up instantaneous travel between Gates and are intended to feel like a natural extension to the vanilla game.

Download (0.9.1a only)

Updating from a v1.x version of Gates Awakened to a v2.x version (eg v1.3.1 to v2.0.0) will NOT WORK without creating a new save.
Updates from v1.x to v1.y are save-compatible, as are v2.x to v2.y.
requires LazyLib

or view on NexusMods

Source CodePrevious Versions

Gates Awakened gives you access to a small number of fast-travel Gates, changing up exploration and colony planning. While it is, of course, not canon, the mod is intended to fit into the game's lore (if you squint a little bit). To keep the activation of the gates a secret from the rest of the Sector, the player will not use the Gates while being observed.

The mod tries to encourage early exploration and ease later-game traveling, without feeling like a cheat.
Once a Gate is activated, the player may travel to any other active Gate for a fuel cost based on the distance traveled.

To get started, simply check around at bars until something Gate-related pops up.

Features
Spoiler
- Total of five gates allowing instant travel (two random, three player choice)
- Travel cost is 80% of the fuel a direct route would otherwise take
- First exploration mission found randomly at bars, immediately available, that activates one Gate in the Core and one near the edge of the Sector
- Second exploration mission from the bar, available once player has a midgame-sized fleet or established colony, that lets the player choose more Gates to activate
- Third exploration mission available through play, available once player has an endgame-sized fleet or multiple, very established colonies
- A Gate cannot be used while another fleet is observing you. We do not want the attention this would draw
- Should be fine to add to a save at any time
[close]

Massive thanks to toast for his inspirational mod, Active Gates, without which this mod would not exist.
If activating every gate and being able to jump all over the Sector sounds better than only getting to play with a few gates, go check out Active Gates!
Where Active Gates allows you to jump right in and activate everything (for a price), Gates Awakened introduces gates more slowly and in a limited amount, making an attempt at acknowledging the game lore.

Bugs? Suggestions? Questions? Want me to talk about why you should be coding in Kotlin instead of Java until you can't take it any more? Ping me on Discord @Wisp#0302, or just leave a comment in this thread.

Changelog
Spoiler
2.1.1 (2021-1-12)
- Save-compatible back to 2.0.0
- Fixes crash when using gates with no orbit, such as one in Interstellar Imperium (thanks to @Freetimez on Discord for the report)

2.1.0 (2020-11-1)
- Added sound and visual effects to gate use. Sounds created by MesoTroniK.
- Inactive, discovered gates are now displayed as intel.
    - This may be toggled off by selecting the intel.
- The third quest will now always trigger if prereqs are met (previously 33% chance).
- The GatesAwakenedViewInfo console command will now show what is missing for the second and third quests to trigger.

2.0.5.1 (2020-8-21)
- Fixes interactions with gates not working (thanks to @Apky for report)

2.0.5 (2020-8-18)
- Adds a better error message if LazyLib is missing (this patch dedicated to @MesoTroniK)
- Because this update is so tiny and is targeted toward first-time users of Gates Awakened, I will not bump this thread or trigger a Version Checker prompt.

2.0.4 (2020-2-6)
- Fixes gate icon not showing sometimes (thanks to those who reported, including @Ner'zhulAI)
- Fixes crash when loading save game after taking a GA quest from the bar (reported by Atopo on the forums and QA'ed by @Bribe Guntails)
Spoilers for third mission (just more bugfixes)
Spoiler
- Fixes gate defense fleet spawning on star instead of gate (reported by @Ner'zhulAI)
- Fixes invalid character in gate defence fleet name (reported by @Ner'zhulAI)
[close]

2.0.3 (2020-1-7)
- Added support for jumping to Boggled's player constructed gates
- If no Remnant systems exist, second quest uses a non-Remnant system instead (reported by Tiberiumkyle on the forums)
- Fixed third quest intel showing planet type instead of name (reported by Avanitia on Discord)
- Possibly fixed quest intel icon showing incorrectly (unconfirmed)
- Fixed bug where declining a quest, then trying to start it again would crash
- Fixed bug where final quest epilogue could be triggered by interacting with any active gate  (reported by Histidine on Discord)
- Adds forum id to version checker

2.0.2 (2019-11-30)
- Added console command to force start the first quest
- Fixed bug where some players were kicked out of the planet dialog when trying to start
 the first quest (thanks to Kraosdada#8765 on Discord and Sartek on the forums for the reports)

2.0.1 (2019-11-27) (Discord-first)
- Not save compatible with v1.x (eg v1.3.1)
- Fixed bug where you couldn't use gates :S
    - Caused by a last-minute change to mod prefix that wasn't correctly updated in rules.csv
    - Thanks to Sunflare#3581 on Discord for the report!

2.0.0 (2019-11-25) (Discord-only for testing)
- Not save compatible with v1.x (eg v1.3.1)
- Added final quest, which allows the player (wouldn't you rather have a surprise?)
Spoiler
to spawn a new gate
[close]
- Polished existing quests and intel. New icon, intel is now marked as completed, better wording, etc
- Fixed compatibility issue with Vayra's Sector where a gate-related event in VS was not shown
- Hopefully fixed bug where the dialog did not appear after jumping in the first quest
- Added Gates-Awakened-related Console Commands (including spawning a gate)
- Readded LazyLib as dependency (to use its Kotlin stdlib)
- Way more refactoring than was necessary

1.3.1 (2019-10-9)

- Fix for crash when completing a question after the intel has timed out
    - Thanks to Liork on Discord for the report
- Known issue: intel can time out, apparently :(

1.3.0 (2019-10-02)

- Gates now get their original name back after being deactivated
- Slightly improved gate intel formatting
- Balance is for gymnasts. Added configuration for # of activation codes

1.2.0 (2019-9-29)

- Gates may now be deactivated to reclaim an activation code
- Number of reward activation codes increased to 3 from 2
- Now prompts player to enable transponder when needed
- Added hyperspace transition animation
- Gates Awakened quests are now marked with the Story intel tag

1.1.1 (2019-9-25)

- Fixed crash that could occur when updating gate intel (thanks to Sunflare#3581 on Discord for the report and QA)

1.1 (2019-9-24)

- Added new intel that displays all active gates
- Updated intel icons to be cooler
- Reduced fuel requirement to use gates to 80%
- Removed dependency on LazyLib

- Fixed bug where the second quest would not appear, even if you met the requirements

1.0.1 (2019-9-12)

- Fixed jump using double the stated fuel price.
- Fixed typo in the second mission opening.

1.0.0 (2019-9-12)

- Initial Release
[close]

"I want to activate all of the gates and travel for free!"
Spoiler
The game is balanced around travel. This mod exists because I started to find it tedious in the late-game, but being able to activate any gate will make the distance between places largely meaningless and remove some of the strategy/decision-making/gameplay loop. I'd caution against going too crazy.

That said, it's your decision, not mine. In "mods/Gates-Awakened/data/config/settings.json", there is a setting called "gatesAwakened_midgameQuestRewardCodeCount".
Simply change that to the number of gate activation codes you want (+ you will have an additional two from the first quest that activates two gates) and restart Starsector.
Note that you must have finished the second (final) quest to unlock at-will gate activate/deactivation.

You may also change the fuel cost ratio in the same file, using "gatesAwakened_FuelMultiplier".
[close]

Compatibility
Boggled's Terraforming Mod: Can jump both to and from Boggled's player-built astral gates.
Active Gates: Untested, but it should be possible to jump to gates activated in Active Gates.

Credits
toast: The original Active Gates mod
LazyWizard: LazyLib, Console Commands, and a font of knowledge
Many others on Discord for help, support, reports, and being a motivating community
And of course Fractal Softworks for this incredible game

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 02:13:53 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Dwarden

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened v1.0.0 (2019-9-12)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »

just fast q, is it compatible with active gates mod ?

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened v1.0.0 (2019-9-12)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »

I haven't tested it with Active Gates, since they'd be slightly redundant.

In theory, they should be compatible. I would expect gates activated using Gates Awakened to only be able to jump to other gates activated using Gates Awakened, and same for Active Gates, but the mods shouldn't have compatibility issues with each other.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:07:09 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened v1.0.1 (2019-9-12)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:14:54 PM »

More campaign missions! Yay!  :D
Hello!

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened v1.1.0 (2019-9-24)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:05:39 PM »

v1.1 (2019-9-24)

- Added new intel that displays all active gates
- Updated intel icons to be cooler
- Reduced fuel requirement to use gates to 80%
- Removed dependency on LazyLib
- Fixed bug where the second quest would not appear, even if you met the requirements

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (2019-9-25)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 12:37:54 PM »

v1.1.1 (2019-9-25)
- Fixed crash that could occur when updating gate intel (thanks to Sunflare on Discord for the report and QA)

Zuthal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »

Would it be possible to add a config option for the number of gates that the player can activate, for people who want to change it to some higher number?

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 11:51:04 PM »

@Zuthal Apologies, I apparently didn't have notifications on for this thread.
Yes, definitely possible. I've added it to my todo list, it'll be in the next release. However, although it's only one more, you may still be glad to see...

version 1.2.0 (2019-9-29)

- Gates may now be deactivated to reclaim an activation code
- Number of reward activation codes increased to 3 (was 2)
- Now prompts player to enable transponder when needed
- Added hyperspace transition animation
- Gates Awakened quests are now marked with the Story intel tag

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (2019-10-02)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 10:30:27 PM »

1.3.0 (2019-10-02)

- Gates now get their original name back after being deactivated
- Slightly improved gate intel formatting
- Balance is for gymnasts. Added configuration for # of activation codes

The game is balanced around travel. This mod exists because I started to find it tedious in the late-game, but being able to activate any gate will make the distance between places largely meaningless and remove some of the strategy/decision-making/gameplay loop. I'd caution against going too crazy.

That said, it's your decision, not mine. In "mods/Gates-Awakened/data/config/settings.json", there is a setting called "gatesAwakened_midgameQuestRewardCodeCount".
Simply change that to the number of gate activation codes you want (+ you will have an additional two from the first quest that activates two gates) and reload your game (if that doesn't work, restart Starsector).
Note that you must have finished the second (final) quest to unlock at-will gate activate/deactivation.

You may also change the fuel cost ratio in the same file, using "gatesAwakened_FuelMultiplier".

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (2019-10-02)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »

This looks like a very good enhancement to the mid-late game, thank you!

ArchdukeValeCortez

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (2019-10-09)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 07:02:58 AM »

So I just got the mod and I've run into a bit of an issue with it.

The second mission is to investigate a planet in what I assume is a randomly picked system. Well, thanks to my surveying in the early game, I have already surveyed every planet in the system the mission is telling me to go investigate. So I'm sort of stuck.

Help please.

I will say I like the idea behind the limited gates. It makes you consider them when you are setting up colonies. :)

I_is_nublet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »

The second mission is to investigate a planet in what I assume is a randomly picked system. Well, thanks to my surveying in the early game, I have already surveyed every planet in the system the mission is telling me to go investigate. So I'm sort of stuck.

Help please.

I will say I like the idea behind the limited gates. It makes you consider them when you are setting up colonies. :)

There might be a way to reset that the exploration done on that planet via the console mod. But I don't know what command you would need off the top of my head. You can type in "help" to get that figured out or ask on the mod page itself.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »

Have you investigated the planet and nothing happens? I don't think that whether you've surveyed it should have any effect on the quest - you don't need to survey it for the quest, in fact.

From a role-playing standpoint, surveying is looking for habitability and major planet features, but doesn't explore every nook and cranny of a planet. The quest has you go to a specific location on the planet's surface.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »

So I finished the second mission and have seen the default activation count.

Would it be possible to add a usable in-game item that can add activations? (Kinda like how blueprints or mod-specs work.) I'm thinking that you can add that item as guaranteed drops from full-size [REDACTED] stations (with lower chances on lesser stations, possibly generated on sector creation to prevent save-scumming if you wish.)

This way, exploration feeds back on itself with a reward for the player in the long run. Players can at least earn their conveniences.

You may have to figure out a way to prevent any of these items from being used before gaining the ability to activate/deactivate gates though. (Or it could be an alternate method for the more combat-oriented player; [REDACTED] stations are mid- and late-game opponents for the most part.)

(Also, maybe a rare drop from ruins?)

I think the only thing that would truly trivialized travel in the game is if someone makes a mod to be able to build new gates as a skill. (So you can plop one down anywhere you want.) Otherwise, there would be having Gates as a build option for stable points in a system (along side Comms, Navs, and Sensors.)

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »

I really like that idea. I think you know, but just to make sure; you can change the number of activation codes in a config file.

Like you said, it'd be a bonus reason to keep exploring and you'd have to keep making decisions about which gates to activate, which is interesting. It'd be tricky from a lore perspective, but that
Spoiler
TriPad in the cave is basically magic
[close]
so it could be made to work.

I've started a different mod, though, and am considering Gates Awakened to be complete, at least for now. I'll add this as a potential new feature over at https://github.com/davidwhitman/Gates-Awakened/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc, and maybe I'll pick it up for the future.

Thanks for the feedback! Just out of curiosity, are you on v1.3.1 or using v2.0.1 from the Discord? I'm hoping to see one or two people get all the way through v2 before I release it everywhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7