Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tooltips (or tooltip mods) for new players?  (Read 1586 times)

Shaamaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Tooltips (or tooltip mods) for new players?
« on: September 12, 2019, 03:16:00 AM »

New StarSector player here!

Liking the game thus far, tho I'm a bit uncertain if what I'm doing is OK or not. ;) I am making in-game money, so... probably good?

Anyway, as a new player, there's a lot I don't have memorized. For example: D-mods. Or mods, in general. This is a problem whenever I'm presented with the option to recover some ships or purchase one of those pirate-modified variants - I can't tell what the mods actually DO before I actually spend money / supplies. This is definitely not very user friendly. :(

Are there any tooltip / help mods out there aimed at new players where this kind of info is easy to access?

On a side-note... the I love the F1 tooltip you get when you mouse-over a commodity / item... but at the same time, you can't really do anything with that tooltip - it'd be great if this, say, opened one of the systems if you click on it. And, whilst I'm on this subject - any way to open this kind of information for commodities you don't currently have access to?

Blurple Berry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Tooltips (or tooltip mods) for new players?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 03:56:34 AM »

if you are in a system with a comm relay in it (almost every core world system has one) pressing F1 on commodities provides more informations (price/demand/etc)

works also when you are docked and hover over stuff you can buy in the trade menu

if you recover a ship with d mods (or any other ship) you can mothball it right away (in the fleet menu) - to minimize supply and crew "loss"
you can also refit in space (without actually doing it) and hover over the d-mods to see what they do

when you are docked at a station or planet and looking at the trade menu you can click on the button "colony info" in the upper left corner or simply push "M"
on the right side in that menu there are a bunch of commodities listed - you can click on them for more infos

as for tooltip mods - i don't know if there are any
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:58:31 AM by Blurple Berry »

Shaamaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 07:05:52 AM »

if you are in a system with a comm relay in it (almost every core world system has one) pressing F1 on commodities provides more informations (price/demand/etc)

works also when you are docked and hover over stuff you can buy in the trade menu
This I know, but the tooltip is fairly... static, so to speak. Say you want to sell something and you use this to find the best place; you can't lay a course directly from this tooltip, and instead have to manually find the sector / station. Or, at least, that's been my experience thus far. Additionally this doesn't work for an item you don't have access to - i.e. one that isn't in your hold and isn't available for sale on a nearby station. How does one check the availability / sale data then?

if you recover a ship with d mods (or any other ship) you can mothball it right away (in the fleet menu) - to minimize supply and crew "loss"
you can also refit in space (without actually doing it) and hover over the d-mods to see what they do
But if you recover a ship in space... doesn't that immediately use some resources? Also - this only works in space - what about when viewing ships available for purchase?

BTracer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:46:10 AM »

Also - this only works in space - what about when viewing ships available for purchase?
There are ~10? d-mods in vanilla, and a couple of special hull mods. The d-mod names are pretty self-explanatory (save for degraded engines vs erratic fuel injector, which I used to confuse), but the tooltips show debuffed stats in orange. For example with a degraded engine d-mod, the tooltip will show burn speed 7 (-1) for example. Compromised Armor d-mod will show Armor 500 (-150) etc. Basically the information for each d-mod is in the tooltip in orange, it just doesn't specifically say "This d-mod does this'

Blurple Berry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »

when you're not sure if you wanna do a procurement request you can check for availability in the same menu where you would accept the mission
it'll also show you the direction and distance to the systems in question

at the start of the game you don't really wanna be a "free trader" and hoard stuff without having an actual delivery contract
tarifs are just too high
you'll be sitting on your wares an eternity and have no storage for actual contracts
fuel and supply will eat up your profit
->deliveries and procurements are much better

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »

Additionally this doesn't work for an item you don't have access to - i.e. one that isn't in your hold and isn't available for sale on a nearby station. How does one check the availability / sale data then?

You can look at the global economy by going to the system map and clicking on a colony, and somewhere from there, check their commodities (I don't have the game with me rn, I will double check and reply when I get home).

But if you recover a ship in space... doesn't that immediately use some resources?

Not necessarily. The supplies and crew shown when restoring a ship on the top of the menu (the yellow and blue bars) are the values for restoring the ship to max combat readiness. When you click on a ship to restore it, there are small yellow (and blue?) numbers on the ship itself that show the values for REPAIRING the ship immediately, i.e. getting it barely operational so you can haul it with you. It's usually worth it.

When you mothball a ship, the only thing it consumes is fuel, and that's if you're in hyperspace. So mothballing ships is the best solution for a dead weight ship you just restored, and fuel is easy to come by, so it's worth it.

Also - this only works in space - what about when viewing ships available for purchase?

You can't refit available derelict ships and ships available for purchase, and therefore can't look at the tooltips for the hullmods and d-mods. The only information you can get is the "F1" tooltip. Even then, the stats that d-mods debuff are shown with orange text, and the d-mods themselves are mostly self-explanatory. I listed some of the more obscure ones below:

Defective Manufactory: debuffs fighters with lower speed and more damage taken
Ill-Advised Modifications: increases chances of malfunction
Malfunctioning Comms: debuffs fighters with lower range
Unreliable Subsystems: decreases operation time

Overall, it's just memorization. Even then, you can check the debuffs in the "F1" tooltip and decide if it's something you're okay with.

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 12:29:06 AM »

Alright, so when you're in orbit around a colony, you can go to Colony Info (M) and click on one of the commodities on the right side. Shows only the commodities the colony has available, but it is a very useful tool for analyzing the sector market.