Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fixing the Hyperion  (Read 1989 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fixing the Hyperion
« on: September 09, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »

Short post here: i love the hyperion but its more or less unfieldable.

Its unfieldable because it has a deployment cost of 30, and eats 45 maintenance per month. It has a cargo bay of 10 and eats like a capital.

I think its flux stats are fine. If you stabailize the shields you have 280/196 base which is better than all other frigates save the tempest. Plus, you know, it teleports. I even think its deployment point cost is reasonable. The ability to teleport on the battlefield and put phase lance or reaper fire down is pretty ridiculous.

What isnt reasonable is the costs associated with flying it. If i have to pay like a capital then i need to be able to support a capital financially in order to make use of it.

My solution is then to, rather than have increased maintenance it has increased deployment points. It would have a logistic profile of 6 or 8 or 10. Similar to other high tech cruisers. And only cost 6 or 8 or 10 to recover from a battle... but it would cost 24 to 30 DP to deploy. (You could also do this be reducing maintenance/deployment cost but it works better thematically the other way around)

That way its reasonable to field it but it doesnt dominate the battlefield by being able to deploy more than has the right power.

In game justification could be that the prototype is burdened not by being a protoype and so unfinished in terms of supply logistics. But that its saddled with a whole bunch of command and performance monitoring software which is proprietary and integral to the communications system. When you field it you have to sift through all of the preferformance data its beaming to your command module in order to actually get the important data you need and want. Thus its larger command profile makes it harder to deploy.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing the Hyperion
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »

The Hyperion has a deployment cost of 15, not 30. It has a maintenance cost of 30, not 45, a month.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »

Skill-less Hyperion vs sim Paragon:
Spoiler
[close]
Despite the above, not much point to using Hyperion when Afflictor exists. Afflictor can do same and more for only 8 DP/supplies.

Would also be nice to see AI at least a bit competent at using it, so that encountering an enemy Hyperion was actually scary.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »

The Hyperion has a deployment cost of 15, not 30. It has a maintenance cost of 30, not 45, a month.

Same difference. Its still impossible to field at those supply costs during the point when you would want to field it

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »

It's not the same for those costs I just written, are less than what you wrote as a reasonable DP cost. So at the very least, you should be happy about that.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 01:36:41 PM »

Back in the age before ship systems and CR, I loved the Hyperion - it was pretty much a perfect player ship.

The teleporter does it no favors.
  • It enables cheesy-but-tedious tactics; flying one of these things and using the teleporter to skip around an omni-shielded target isn't fun.
  • It makes it virtually impossible to kill an enemy Hyperion unless it makes a mistake; it can always chain-teleport away if it's not outright overloaded.
  • The targeting via mouse is annoying given the high mobility nature of the ship - you always want to be using point-to-cursor flight mode with it, but that means that, in order to accurately teleport to a location that's not straight ahead, you have to pause the game, move the mouse to the target location, de-activate turn-to-cursor, unpause, teleport, pause, re-activate turn-to-cursor, get the mouse where it needs to be, unpause, and then continue from there.  It's just clumsy.
  • It's a bad system for the AI - at irregular intervals it'll teleport into somewhere that has active attacks going through it and instantly die.  This is sortof okayish behavior for an enemy ship, where it may or may not randomly explode in any given fight (and if it does the player's reaction is "Oh good that nuisance is finally gone"), but completely unacceptable for an allied one, especially given its price to field.
There are things that can be done to fix portions of this - for example, making it so it doesn't drop shields on teleport would address the "AI controlled Hyperions sometimes randomly explode for no good reason" issue - but overall, I'd personally be happier if the Hyperion just mugged the Scarab for its ship system.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »

What Hyperion needs most is more PPT.  It times out too quickly to be worth using.  If not, then make it cheaper to use.  It does not need High Maintenance for what it can do today.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 01:49:54 PM »

The teleporter was cool, but at the end of the day did more harm to the Hyperion than good: it's turned it into a gimmick that's useless in AI hands, yet supremely unsatisfying in player hands due to its very low peak performance and very high deployment CR resulting in precious little actual playtime even if you want to use it as your flagship.

At this point I'd rather the teleporter be axed and Hyperion go back to what it was before: the king of frigates, without a gimmick that requires its uptime be pulverised.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 01:51:57 PM »

I don't like the Hyperion design.  A quick sim test with solo hammerhead or falcon sees it doing fine. In a fleet battle, it can distract and presumable survive. Teleporter seems...too difficult to balance? Visually the weapon on the weapon mounts completely overpower the ship hull itself. The weapon placement like phase ships are actually excellent; it's just that the sprite is visually covered and totally out of sync. It's a tiny ship with amazing stats, which seems totally out of place, as if it is an advanced alien technology.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »

For the same DP, I rather pilot Falcon than Hyperion in the current release.  If I want a super ship similar to Hyperion, either Afflictor or Harbinger.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »

I find it way too glass cannon-y for what you're paying to field and maintain it. Being able to take apart a Paragon is impressive, but that's a very gimmicky way to do 1v1 and I wouldn't even consider flying it like that.

I would probably only give it 1 tele charge per X seconds and give it about one screen worth of tele range. On the upside, it would deserve more PPT and an easier logistics profile.