Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Anomalous Signals - Any interest in integrating with a framework mod like this?  (Read 2076 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of making a mod that adds a new event while traveling through hyperspace.  In terms of duration, frequency, and the circumstances in which it happens, It would be a lot like the distress call event. Instead of a distress call, though, it would say something like "Anomalous Signal Detected," creating an intel event that leads to Things-To-Find in a nearby system. The Things-To-Find that anomalous signals lead to would generally be good to visit for whatever reason, encouraging exploration of systems you normally wouldn't visit and making hyperspace travel more eventful and unpredictable. I would add a few Things-To-Find on my own of course, but I would want to make it very easy for other modders to add new Things-To-Find as well.

I also might add a starship legends-like hullmod called "Anomolous Effects" that would make it easy for Things-To-Find to add temporary effects to the ships in your fleet (e.g. fuel consumption reduced by 75% for 5 days)

Would this be worth doing?
Would any of you want to integrate with this mod by adding Things-To-Find?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:32:58 PM by Sundog »

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Anomalous Signals - Any interest in integrating with this framework mod?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »

It would be neat if it worked like Distress signals.

A chance for something good to happen (you run into a cache of supplies that might contain anything from food to AI cores and/or BP's, etc), a chance for something bad (you encounter Remnants / Drones), and something really bad mixed with good (you get a cache but it activates a bunch of pirates hiding in ambush which is already in the code).

And it could spawn anywhere but only when you run into it, much like how Red Planet / AI Core events don't spawn till you get the bar event. Makes exploring much more eventful.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »

Yup! That's pretty much what I have in mind. As a catch-all potential threat, I was thinking of giving Things-To-Find a chance to have salvage fleets orbiting/investigating them that will attack if you get too close. The chance of that would be configurable based on what the thing-to-find is, of course. Things like traps and ambushes are something I'd want to add if both ruthless sector and anomalous signals were running.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 03:47:08 PM »

Yup! That's pretty much what I have in mind. As a catch-all potential threat, I was thinking of giving Things-To-Find a chance to have salvage fleets orbiting/investigating them that will attack if you get too close. The chance of that would be configurable based on what the thing-to-find is, of course. Things like traps and ambushes are something I'd want to add if both ruthless sector and anomalous signals were running.

Maybe also make them randomly generate special objects. By that I mean, if you get a Anamolous signal, and investigate it and your RNG is just right, you fly up to a Research Station thats randomly spawned, a mining station, or if your unlucky, just a probe. Could be a way to find extra goodies after you've scoured all the systems for goods.

CariTheKitty

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It's a great idea! I just wonder how it could be balanced to be "worth it." Right now I don't think I've ever bothered with a distress call. I don't think the time lost, and potential of getting screwed is worth it.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

I want a signal-generator mod that takes us to encounters with SCP's, lol.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Strange thing... Perhaps like the Specters from SOTS?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile

Yeah I just realized, these signals could be the START of quests. There could be two types of signals; the one I described above, and another "special" type of signal that "seems out of this world" and when you get close to it, it activates a quest at random.

For example, the first type of signal would have this description when interacted with on the intel screen:

"Your sensors detect a signal from X star system; it has regular streams of clipped data being sent outwards to a unknown location. It could be a trap, or a derelict just waiting to be claimed."

The second signal would be slightly the same but changed enough to make you know its a "special" one:

"Your sensors detect a signal from X star system; it has infrequent bursts of strange sensor readings, glitched computer sounds, and mangled screams. When you try to decipher it from space, your computer systems emit a !ERROR! message and reboot. Before the computer shut down, your computer system was able to decipher the location of the signal. It could be a trap, or a new land just waiting for you to claim."

The special signals would pick out of a pool of random quests (doesn't have to be main quests, could be something simple like go to X research station and activate it, similar to survey missions) and those quests will give rewards based on either difficulty or RNG.

TL;DR first type of signal is your standard "it might be good, it might not be", second is more "go here and get a quest to go somewhere more dangerous, but with guaranteed high level loot if you can brave it".

Lynx

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Think it is a great idea, especially for making hyperspace travel more interesting.  :)

Sapfearon

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I thinks it's a great idea. I would totally install mod like that :)

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile

I want a signal-generator mod that takes us to encounters with SCP's, lol.
Isn't that just Seeker?
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!