Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Supply consumption is ridiculous and unfun:(  (Read 16614 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Supply consumption is ridiculous and unfun:(
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 05:17:24 AM »

Well, it would only work with 0 supplies in store (otherwise supplies would be destroyed by over-capacity, since you have 0 of that). And you'd ripe for looting by any single pirate frigate.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2019, 05:42:16 AM »

My point was if you mothball literally everything, then your upkeep is 0 no matter how overburdened you are.
That sounds more like an exploit than anything else. If all your ships are mothballed it means you're dead in the water.

Do mothball ships malfunction and break down? If they're running their engines without a single crew that would be a real possibility, but if they're just empty husks getting towed it's a different story.
The only difference between a mothball'd and non-mothball'd ship is that a mothball'd ship has no crew, fuel, or regular storage, and can't use it's shield or weapons.

Vivratelnica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2019, 06:53:18 AM »

When I first started playing this game I thought supply usage was kind of a bummer, but after playing it for a little while you get used to it and you learn how to manage your supplies. You always want an over abundance, running out of supplies really isn't an option. It should never happen. There's skills that you can update to decreases your fleets overall supply usage.. I think it's something like 15-25%. Efficiency override is also pretty useful for your cargo/fuel ships. Every little bit helps. If you've got an enormous fleet you should expect to carry around >=3000 supplies at any given time.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2019, 09:39:33 AM »

Get fleet logistics level 2, get efficiency overhaul which lowers that ships crew, fuel, and supply cost by a constant 20%, and if you have d-mods, get the field repairs 3 and emergency procedures (off the top of my head but its the far left logistics skill) to level 3, which further reduces your consumption.

If you stack all of this early to mid game, and build up a capital of around 1 million credits, you should be set for whatever is thrown your way later on.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 12:31:47 AM »

I find if I run low on supplies on my way back home, it's usually best to pause all repairs instead of mothballing ships.  Doesn't stop the flat monthly supplies, but most of my cost comes from hitting hyperspace storms

This. Hyperspace storms or sun Coronas eat supplies like CRAZY.

I hate the storms. Because with storms you ALWAYS loose, even if you try to get a speed boost, you will go trough nebula clouds that aren't storms, that slow you don't from burn 18 to burn 12 AND you get a supply hit. So the whole thing doesn't really work, because a momentary speed boost is negated by constant speed loses.
If you turn you also loose burn. You're pretty much always loosing.
It wouldn't be so bad if the hyperspace storms weren't BIG GIANT WALLS that are in many cases impossible to go around

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »

A little planning can alleviate a lot that problem. Outside of coreworld you should bring the strict minimum of ship. Watch your hyperspace map and try to stay to region of low deep density. If you have colonies, try to note where there are hyperspace 'lane' .

The goal of supply is to limit your capacity to fly around with 30 capital ship at all time. Use your colonies as a base and taylor your fleet according to what you set out to do. Pure exploration requires 5-6 mostly civilian ship. Bounties requires you to evaluate properly what you think yiu can do. System defense can be done with huge expensive ship since you can store them after the battle.

Learn to spot ship that have good logistic imprint when planning remnant fighting or bounty hunting in fringe starsystem. Odyssey, apogee, mule and the like can give you enought space for supply/fuel while bringing decent firepower and cut the cost of dedicated cargo/fuel ship.
Pages: 1 2 [3]