Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Habitats / Space stations  (Read 2069 times)

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Habitats / Space stations
« on: September 06, 2019, 01:37:39 PM »

any thoughts about Habitats / space stations in later updates I don't know about you guys but I've run into 14 systems without planets Justin my current playthrough but a few of them have a crap load of meteorites (building your own space station for mining purposes) also restoring derelict space stations.

possible Nerfing of space station / habitats
population cap at level 5
only able to build 7 structures Counting population infrastructure Space Station and Spaceport
drastically reduce population growth is 25% of what planets would have
high cost to build along with the usual cost of colonizing a planet. you need to have a 1 million credits as well (restoring derelict space stations cost are reduced to maybe 750,000 credits)
cap on number you can build in star system.
obviously can't build it in orbit of planets where they have their own space station
can be destroyed if raided too many times.
restoring derelict space stations are always low-tech.

just wondering what people think of this idea and if this is a possibility in future updates?

picture of Space Station's
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/attachments/upload_2019-9-6_14-38-55-png.485982/

Hansag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Habitats / Space stations
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »

I was contemplating this as well. Perhaps separate the "Orbital Infrastructure" from the "Ground Colony" a bit, so if you build a station above a planet for the 250,000 schmeckels, then you have that, but not the rest. Then you upgrade or specialize it with modules accordingly.

As is, Vanilla stations are purely military right:
- Space Station
- Battle Station
- Star Fortress

Proposal
Maintain three tiers of space stations, but have them in a separate row under the colony buildings of said planet (or stable orbit). I would propose the following:

Station Types and Modules

Spoiler
Orbital Outpost
Basic station where you can build facilities to house hundreds of people (size: 2).
Facilities: Yes (perhaps limited to 2-3 slots)
Industry: No
Hangars: No *
Batteries: Light *
* One could imagine upgrading one or the other a level. For instance, you could install Hangars for mining drones that bring in a bit of ore from the system, or let the Patrol HQ take that slot. (Digressing, perhaps some asteroid rings should have a "stable orbit" where you can build a station and you can see if the resources of the belt are any good)

Orbital Station
A large station that can house thousands of people (size: 3-4) working in various capacities.
Facilities: Yes
Industry: Yes (1-2)
Defences: Medium (upgradable to Battlestation)

Orbital Complex
A very large station that can house hundreds of thousands of people (size: 5)
Facilities: Yes
Industry: Yes (2, 3 with additional investment)
Defences: Medium (upgradable to Star Fortress)
[close]

Orbital Industries and Defences
Some industries that might be a bit unique to an Orbital Stations and Complex

Spoiler
O'Neil Section
Creates a section of the station with a mild, habitable climate where colonists can live or relax.
Changes Hazard Rating by -50%
Possibly allows increases size by 1

Hydroponics
Similar to aquaponics in that is requires a large initial investment and subsequently a lot of upkeep

Asteroid Mining
Requires: Nearby ring system
Produces: Ore and Mining or Boring Drones for defence if stations is not upgraded with Heavy Batteries
Fleet Spawn: Asteroid Mining Fleet (e.g. Venture, Shepherd and Salvage Rigs) that goes out an mines the asteroids or debris (perhaps bringing back salvage loot at the end of the month).

Gas Syphon
Requires: Orbiting Gas Giant with Volatiles
Produces: Volatiles

Orbital Defenses

Heavy Batteries (Replaces Ground Batteries)
Effectively making the station a Battlestation

Heavy Defence Drones (Replaces Heavy Batteries)
Effectively making the station a Star Fortress
(Perhaps have this require a Production Blueprint?)

[close]

Hazard Rating
As is now, I believe all stations have 100% hazard rating.
Would propose the following (Low-/Mid-/High Tech): 250/175/125 %

Why:
In part role-playing, that you have a low-tech station where things break all the time and you're trying to get things to work more than just have a pleasant place to work. Mid-line solves some of these problems while High-tech is on top of them providing a pleasant place to live and work. All of these also play into the costs, so having low-tech mining operations might be profitable, but if you want to have more fancy things going on, you'd probably want to have a Mid-line station at least.

Final thoughts
I always found it a bit weird that the player could build Mid and High Tech stations at the start of the game at the same price. Perhaps make them unlock with Blueprints and/or have price scale inversely similar to Hazard Rating (i.e. Low-tech cheaper than High-tech)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »

The reason why all stations cost the same is that they were designed to have the same power and, in the testing, proved to be relatively similar in power. High-tech station isn't supposed to be better than others and low-tech station isn't supposed to be worse, similarly to how ships are (supposed to) be balanced.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »

The reason why all stations cost the same is that they were designed to have the same power and, in the testing, proved to be relatively similar in power.

IIRC Alex once said, differences between the stations just not implemented yet.

Did not remember what kind of differences was mentioned, tho'.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Hansag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:29:32 AM »

The reason why all stations cost the same is that they were designed to have the same power and, in the testing, proved to be relatively similar in power. High-tech station isn't supposed to be better than others and low-tech station isn't supposed to be worse, similarly to how ships are (supposed to) be balanced.

Yes, and they are seen from a combat point of view, they are very balanced and I like them. I am thinking more on a non-combat basis since they are described as being more than just combat platforms.

Hansag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 07:30:57 AM »

Yes, and they are seen from a combat point of view, they are very balanced and I like them. I am thinking more on a non-combat basis since they are described as being more than just combat platforms.

I'm just an enthusiastic Ensign at present Admiral ^_^