Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Faction versions of all ships  (Read 2543 times)

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
Faction versions of all ships
« on: September 02, 2019, 10:21:24 PM »

Has anyone attempted to recolor or reskin all of the existing ships in game to suit each faction? I'm aware there are mods that add more (XIV), (P), (LC), (LP), etc. variants, and the Ships and Weapon Pack mod adds new variants for the Lion's Guard, but has anyone made a variant for EACH faction for EACH ship?

I was thinking of attempting it myself, as a means to get more acquainted with Photoshop and other tools. I'm also aware there will be overlay with existing mods that have made their own vanilla variants, and there will be redundancies as a result.

PS: Okay, probably not EVERY faction with EVERY ship, but have Pirates for instance have their own degraded variants for every single ship, and some faction like the Luddic Church have variants for each Low-Tech ship, the Hegemony have variants for each Midline ship, and Tri-Tachyon have variants for each High-Tech ship, etc. Or maybe have every faction have their own variant for each ship, but with repercussions (Luddic Church Paragons but significantly degraded compared to the original Tri-Tachyon variant)? Or is that not lore-friendly with the entire blueprint copyright spiel?

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Faction versions of all ships
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 02:04:24 AM »

I was thinking of attempting it myself, as a means to get more acquainted with Photoshop and other tools. I'm also aware there will be overlay with existing mods that have made their own vanilla variants, and there will be redundancies as a result.

If this is purely for your own education, ill advise getting Adobe after effects and editing some in game footage or creating vids based on in game footage you record over solely getting Photoshop. After effects is a lot more fun but pretty costly if you get a legit copy, but thankfully there is a free Premiere Pro alternative which is not all that different (for starters at least) to adobe after effects DaVinci Resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:06:36 AM »

If this is purely for your own education, ill advise getting Adobe after effects and editing some in game footage or creating vids based on in game footage you record over solely getting Photoshop. After effects is a lot more fun but pretty costly if you get a legit copy, but thankfully there is a free Premiere Pro alternative which is not all that different (for starters at least) to adobe after effects DaVinci Resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/

You're recommending me to make videos on Starsector instead? Interesting, I'll consider it. I already have a copy of VEGAS PRO 14. Would I have the same functionality as in After Effects or DaVinci, or should I switch over?

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »

You're recommending me to make videos on Starsector instead? Interesting, I'll consider it. I already have a copy of VEGAS PRO 14. Would I have the same functionality as in After Effects or DaVinci, or should I switch over?

Do not seems to know why...
Like a offtopic answer, no?

Anyways, for your work, made a faction who got all ships of a another faction, but with skins,   this is really not interesting. And exist many sub-faction who technically do that (Exemple: Cabal of underworld)
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Horse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 09:28:40 AM »

I was just thinking about it today. Maybe I wouldn't go further than colour schemes for ships design-wise, but I think it would be cool to have some minor faction flavors like this. For example give every faction ships 1-2 more hull mods for free, like Lion's Guard get solar shielding. Something that wouldn't make factions automatically OP, but would be a nice thing to have. Like shield buffs for Tri-Tach, aux thrustsers and bulkheads for Pirates, armor buff (and possibly a minor shield debuff) for Luddic guys, etc. Plus would add some flavor to fights with these factions, like bring more kinetic for Tri-tech, and more HE for Pirates and Ludds.

I think it can be done by editing custom blueprints to each faction respectively, but not make them available anywhere else.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »

Do not seems to know why...
Like a offtopic answer, no?

No Snasha Answer is on Topic, OP's goal (as far i can discern it) is to do something constructive and as you yourself confirmed recoloring ships is pretty much pointless by now. So basically i recommended him something more interesting, at least from my viewpoint, with which he can make an impact on the board and also further his skills. The only other thing i could have recommend him to do is dl an IDE and to start prog. Java which is also cool but he started with Photoshop, for which the market is pretty much saturated already, and i went along the media editing line.

With Vegas you don't need to post process the vids as you would in After effects (if you rly cared for quali), i found Vegas pretty off putting in comparison to, After effects for which you pretty much only need a few days to learn the ropes but in general as far as i heard Vegas is functionally superior to AE. The other thing you could do is to learn the ropes of java proging and edit some of the games Code, its rly not that hard once you get into it.   
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »

Anyways, for your work, made a faction who got all ships of a another faction, but with skins,   this is really not interesting. And exist many sub-faction who technically do that (Exemple: Cabal of underworld)
No Snasha Answer is on Topic, OP's goal (as far i can discern it) is to do something constructive and as you yourself confirmed recoloring ships is pretty much pointless by now. So basically i recommended him something more interesting, at least from my viewpoint, with which he can make an impact on the board and also further his skills. The only other thing i could have recommend him to do is dl an IDE and to start prog. Java which is also cool but he started with Photoshop, for which the market is pretty much saturated already, and i went along the media editing line.

Ah, I didn't know this type of stuff has been overdone. I'll consider something else to do.

With Vegas you don't need to post process the vids as you would in After effects (if you rly cared for quali), i found Vegas pretty off putting in comparison to, After effects for which you pretty much only need a few days to learn the ropes but in general as far as i heard Vegas is functionally superior to AE. The other thing you could do is to learn the ropes of java proging and edit some of the games Code, its rly not that hard once you get into it.   

That's good to know, I was worried I'd need to get another license to be on-par. Final question though, where could I shamelessly promote any videos I have made? Would it just be in General Discussions?

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »

To be honest I would gladly see more paint-jobs or faction version of existing vanilla ships.
There is some mods that do that but sadly they are riddled with additional stuff like new weapons/wings/shipmods and new ships as well.
There would not to be all ship version for each faction especially that some faction have their own predisposition to specific ships or tech levels.
Still if you want just make a vanilla reskins I would gladly use them in either my own private mods or offer my help in making them into faction packs.
Salvagers, Independents(Mercenaries/Militia/Bounty Hunters) could use more versions (and paintjobs) of existing low and mid line tech ships.
Pirates could get some more love too.
Even high tech loving Tri Tachyon could get some converted low into higher tech ships.

I apploud then your initiative.

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »

To be honest I would gladly see more paint-jobs or faction version of existing vanilla ships.
There is some mods that do that but sadly they are riddled with additional stuff like new weapons/wings/shipmods and new ships as well.
There would not to be all ship version for each faction especially that some faction have their own predisposition to specific ships or tech levels.
Still if you want just make a vanilla reskins I would gladly use them in either my own private mods or offer my help in making them into faction packs.
Salvagers, Independents(Mercenaries/Militia/Bounty Hunters) could use more versions (and paintjobs) of existing low and mid line tech ships.
Pirates could get some more love too.
Even high tech loving Tri Tachyon could get some converted low into higher tech ships.

I apploud then your initiative.

That's good to hear. I'll make something out of it once I get the knowledge and time.