Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Experience Gain  (Read 4093 times)

Orcling

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Experience Gain
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:25:54 AM »

So I've been trying to nerf exp gain
Now the one thing I'm unsure about is this line in Starsector\starsector-core\data\config

"xpGainMult":1.0,

I set it to 0.7, thinking I'll only gain 70% of the experience than usual, but it feels like it's going faster instead.
Should i set it to 1.3? Or even lower.

Before anyone asks 'why' i would do this, I removed level caps for me and officers and to balance it out I severely want to reduce the experience i get overall.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Experience Gain
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 01:06:36 AM »

I find that XP gains after 50 are already slow enough.  My current character is level 65 after playing entirely too long into a Nexerelin game.  I doubt even the most hardcore of grinders could top 80.

Why don't you test the number extremely low or extremely high to see if it works?  Try 0.01 and 100.  One of them should earn you 10+ levels off your first battle, the other won't even budge the meter, if it works.

Orcling

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 01:32:59 AM »

I find that XP gains after 50 are already slow enough.  My current character is level 65 after playing entirely too long into a Nexerelin game.  I doubt even the most hardcore of grinders could top 80.

Why don't you test the number extremely low or extremely high to see if it works?  Try 0.01 and 100.  One of them should earn you 10+ levels off your first battle, the other won't even budge the meter, if it works.

I tested it out, and yeah, I reduces it significantly. The thing is, last game with Nexerelin i reached level 90 in almost no time. I picked a world in a system with many other worlds/traders- the bigger the better. Then i broke the station, raided it until the people living there begged me to Saturation bomb them already. Then i just gave it to a faction i liked. THEN i sold all the materials i raided off of' em right back to the planet. And oh boy they want A LOT and pay A LOT for about anything. Then i go to any nearby world, buy everything i can and just go to the *** world to sell. I get millions of exp just from "profitable trade". It's really broken and cheesy and that's why i need to nerf exp gain.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »

I tested it out, and yeah, I reduces it significantly. The thing is, last game with Nexerelin i reached level 90 in almost no time. I picked a world in a system with many other worlds/traders- the bigger the better. Then i broke the station, raided it until the people living there begged me to Saturation bomb them already. Then i just gave it to a faction i liked. THEN i sold all the materials i raided off of' em right back to the planet. And oh boy they want A LOT and pay A LOT for about anything. Then i go to any nearby world, buy everything i can and just go to the *** world to sell. I get millions of exp just from "profitable trade". It's really broken and cheesy and that's why i need to nerf exp gain.

Did you install Skilled-up?
Because that mods only porpuise is to get a better expirience curve after level 36

Orcling

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 01:49:45 AM »

Did you install Skilled-up?
Because that mods only porpuise is to get a better expirience curve after level 36

No, Skilled up reduces the overall experience requirements even at level 1, that's too easy.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »

Strange, I can't say I ever got above 50 in level, but there you all are, with levels above 50. How odd.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »

Strange, I can't say I ever got above 50 in level, but there you all are, with levels above 50. How odd.
50 is the default cap.  It's trivially easy to edit the settings.json file to increase the level cap further.  It's not vanilla obviously.

Personally, Starsector is such a long game that "replayability" via different character builds does not interest me.  I believe that one should focus on a single character and see all the content they reasonably can.  The vanilla level cap is primarily designed to cause alternative builds because you can't buy everything, and force different playthroughs because there is no respec feature.  Additionally, I don't like the idea of late game battles being worthless.  By ensuring that I continue to gain exp and levels indefinitely (or at least longer than I'm willing to play, there is a point where you would simply have every skill, but I'll never reach that), I can ensure that even battles that offer no useful loot or meaningful story progression, but are still otherwise unavoidable, offer something of value, namely exp.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 04:28:18 PM »

How pointless it is to include mods into a discussion of vanilla balance.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »

How pointless it is to include mods into a discussion of vanilla balance.

Why do you assume this is a discussion of vanilla balance?

So I've been trying to nerf exp gain
Now the one thing I'm unsure about is this line in Starsector\starsector-core\data\config
"xpGainMult":1.0,
I set it to 0.7, thinking I'll only gain 70% of the experience than usual, but it feels like it's going faster instead.
Should i set it to 1.3? ...

Our Green friend is obviously modifying some settings himself here. See how he writes "I set it to 0.7" <-- this obviously would exclude him from any achievement trophy in most games, flagging his session as "MODIFIED". 

Nevermind, I'm just *** with you ... the whole discussion is kinda pointless, considering that a skill system revamp is coming.
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 11:19:58 PM »

50 is the default cap.  It's trivially easy to edit the settings.json file to increase the level cap further.  It's not vanilla obviously.

Personally, Starsector is such a long game that "replayability" via different character builds does not interest me.  I believe that one should focus on a single character and see all the content they reasonably can.  The vanilla level cap is primarily designed to cause alternative builds because you can't buy everything, and force different playthroughs because there is no respec feature.  Additionally, I don't like the idea of late game battles being worthless.  By ensuring that I continue to gain exp and levels indefinitely (or at least longer than I'm willing to play, there is a point where you would simply have every skill, but I'll never reach that), I can ensure that even battles that offer no useful loot or meaningful story progression, but are still otherwise unavoidable, offer something of value, namely exp.

The profitable trade XP isnt designed to deal with massive shortages that nexelerin can create. Dont exploit nexelerin and you wont have this issue