Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternative Portraits  (Read 2569 times)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
Alternative Portraits
« on: August 30, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »

Open the spoiler below to see a few of the portraits alternatives that the mod has to offer.

Spoiler

^ There are more than what is being shown here, I had some extra space so I filled the middle out with one of my favorite portrait sets.
[close]

This is a work in progress mod. There will be future updates adding more portraits. This mod can be updated freely and will not brake saves doing so. If there is a chance of it doing so I will mention it but as future updates will most likely only be adding and not removing then it should be braking saves.

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk8wo1idkrvsjnr/Alternative%20Portraits.7z?dl=0

I love the default art style that the game has and playing with faction mods. Sometimes I want to roleplay a faction with a certain portrait but the portrait doesn’t quite fit the theme I am going for. Other times I look at a station or fleet and there are two of the same portraits and that is just a little bit sad. So I made this mod to fix that.

Currently, this mod only adds in 18 alternative character portraits but there is a total of 231 variations of them combined so far and more to come.

I started off with my favorite portraits and made variations of them and then moved onto interesting looking ones. I plan to do them all eventually.

Two slight issues with this mod so far is that because of things like lack of female portraits I have done so far and the abundance of the ones I have done, that most of the females you will encounter will mostly be of three done so far in my portrait mod. The other issue is that I have not yet taken the time to make the portraits faction-specific as in the default game. I play with Nexerelin and random core worlds with a ton of faction mods. I don’t really take note of which faction I am dealing with and what they look like but I have once been flagged down by an academic in a bar that was an armored tin head and got a good laugh out it. I do plan on making a faction-specific version of the portraits like the default game but not until I am done with all the portraits.

The future plan for this mod is once it is done I will make a build your own mod package for you to download and package yourself. This will have options like all left facing portraits, all right-facing portraits, an even mix of directional facing portraits and (currently) default facing portraits. There will also be slimmed down version of this mod with the best four or five of each of the portraits. There will also be the option of faction-specific portraits like in the default game. There may be more options to choose from when I get to that point.

You can create your own faction capability mod file yourself with a little bit of know-how.
Spoiler
Simply navigate to the mod you want to make a compatible version of, say for example Hazard Mining Incorporated.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\mods\HMI\data\world\factions

And find the faction file. In this case, HMI is the faction file we are looking for, open the file in notepad and check the faction ID, the ID is HMI. With that bit of knowledge, we can now make the faction in-game use all of the portrait variants as well.

Navigate to the Alternative Portraits mod faction section and find and copy the player.faction file (or any one of them) and then rename the copy to hmi. It should look like this: hmi.faction. The sentencing case doesn’t matter, only the spelling.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\mods\Alternative Portraits\data\world\factions\player.faction

This example should help you with whatever faction mod you are using and want to make them compatible to use the portraits in them.
[close]

Although I made this mod, the art assets belong long to Fractal Softworks / Starsector and they can do whatever they want with them. You can only use their portraits for your mod if it is going to be used in Starsector (not elsewhere) but it would be best if this mod was made a requirement for your mod else there would be needless duplicates being created.

Changelog:
Spoiler

Version 1.0.0 (August 30, 2019)
===============================
Initial release

[close]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:09:13 AM by Zalpha »