Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Venture, why?  (Read 20306 times)

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Venture, why?
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »

i don't see the point of weakening your fleet so much when getting Ox tugs would simply make your fleet better.

More tugs instead of more backup combat ships I can swap into?  I rather have more combat ships if I can support them, especially if I plan to chain battle.

Just increase the fleet cap from 30 to something more reasonable like lets say 60 and while your at it increase the AI fleet cap to the same number or a (much) higher one, then fly around in an invaded sectors and watch your GPU melt.

What did i hear you say ? Your proud fleet consisting of 60 ventures has loaded up too many supplies ? No problem my good man, no problem at all, make your crew demand supplies, once there are no supplies left they can always just eat each other.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 05:09:30 PM by Hastur »
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »

2 OX tugs gives +2 burn and 10 fuel per light year
(Removed previous reply since I misread, but...)
and -2 fleet slots for something better, which I think is nearly anything else.  Also, 10 fuel/ly is huge early, only minor late.

It's better to not need back up in the first place than to have available ships which are also weaker because of Augmented Drive Field.
Why?  That makes no sense!  Back up is nice if I win a battle, but a ship got mauled.  Or if I chain battled so much that one ship runs low on CR and I want another ship to use in the meantime.  Or, AI officer screwed up and died, and needs a replacement now (instead of waiting an in-game week or longer for repairs).  Or because Reaper Harbinger removed, I want to cheese fights with lots of Reaper Afflictors (up to the fleet cap).  I think just about any other ship in the fleet is better than a tug.  Maybe no ship at all if I do not need another ship.  Most ships in my fleet do not even have Augmented Engines, just the slowest ones, which are like... two or three battleships, plus Astral, in my fleet.

With map size the way it is, it is impossible for a typical endgame fleet to deploy all.  Bringing backups is a nice convenience.  If I do not need backups, I can bring a leaner fleet instead.

The only endgame ships in my fleet that use Augmented Drive Field are Onslaught, Paragon, Astral, Legion, and the civilians.

If I want no tugs at all, I probably need to put Augmented Engines on Conquest, Odyssey, and all cruisers.  That is too harsh, with so many ships, and they do not have lots of OP like Onslaught and Paragon, so two tugs with Navigation 3 is okay.  More than two tugs is... not good.

Just increase the fleet cap from 30 to something more reasonable like lets say 60 and while your at it increase the AI fleet cap to the same number or a (much) higher one, then fly around in an invaded sectors and watch your GPU melt.
Since it is not in the in-game settings, changing that feels kind of dirty.  I avoid changing settings.json at all if I can help it.  The only thing I touch (reluctantly) is combat speed because the game plays unbearably slow at normal speed.  (Other games play faster.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 05:32:53 PM by Megas »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »

I gotta say I agree I'd rather have extra ships for mop up/chasing down/Rotating for CR. 30 seems like so much till you want more lol. The Tugs fuel use is brutal up until you have a planet and unlimited cash, because of that it limits which ships fit my fleet build.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2019, 06:48:13 PM »

Since it is not in the in-game settings, changing that feels kind of dirty.  I avoid changing settings.json at all if I can help it.  The only thing I touch (reluctantly) is combat speed because the game plays unbearably slow at normal speed.  (Other games play faster.)

Well sure, i would feel inclined to agree with you, that is, if the only thing one could archive through the editing of that fine parchment would be an easier time for ones self. As matters stand tough, the only thing that vaguely has any semblance of meaningful balance is the combat, anything else, if your not playing on hard mode, is alike to kicking a puppy. The game basically throws money and salvage at your face on every turn.

As for logistic hull mods like EO and AD on heavy's. I usually tend to use them even if I am not reasonably sure that i can refit before combat.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 06:53:43 PM by Hastur »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

There is no anvil in this game. There is no infantry moral system. You will care for any ship that dies if you are before the point where you don't need to care about money.

There absolutely is such thing as an anvil in this game.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2019, 03:01:32 AM »

Speed isn't as much of an issue when dealing with targets that can't run away like planets and domain probes.

For those, on a non-military shopping list you would be better off with salvaged cruiser of other types anyway. Or mass frigates/destroyers.

As for escaping.... stealth and guile are just as important as raw speed. Militarising your civilian ships is more important for the stealth bonus then it is for the speed bonus. Not that a venture should be used for smuggling ever anyway. Nor are cruisers suited to stealth as well.

I'd love a buff to the old venture however! Personally I'd be ok with another wing or two of those built in mining drones, or some more OP/small ballistic mounts. Possibly even a retrofitted venture MK.II! For the private militia on the rise!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »

Venture in early releases was a super hybrid.  It functioned more like a bigger Gemini (back when fighters were ships and not fancy missiles), and it was a good ship.  Still annoyingly slow, but useful.

Now, it is just a meat shield that can pump out few missiles.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2019, 06:15:55 AM »

Im personally someone who uses augmented drive fields instead of Tugs and its honestly been working for me a lot better than tugs.

Sure I have to make my paragon a bit weaker, but I have to do that anyway because if you make your Paragons strong, it makes their flux management absolutely terrible, and the AI is very bad at that, so your forced to downgrade your Paragons anyway.

But on the flipside, I always have larger fleet points than my enemies because instead of 2 tugs I lug around 2 extra Paragons, hence I can always outdeploy my enemies. I have a current limit of 400 fleet size so I always have 240 fleet points (4 paragons) vs 160 fleet points that the enemy has, which is obviously not enough for the enemy to kill.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »

Venture in early releases was a super hybrid.  It functioned more like a bigger Gemini (back when fighters were ships and not fancy missiles), and it was a good ship.  Still annoyingly slow, but useful.

Now, it is just a meat shield that can pump out few missiles.
Yes! Super Gemini is the perfect description for what the Venture used to be.

You said "This looks like fun", did you put me in my place yet? I'm not feeling it.
Nice projection.
Have you considered that having different expectations and goals makes some mechanics less relevant regardless of thier existence, and vice-versa?

[e]
Finally got some time to do this adVenture. Took longer than I thought it would to put together.
Spoiler
This is the fleet I built:
Spoiler

Five Line Cruisers fitted for punching holes in things.
Spoiler
[close]
Ten Fire Support Cruisers for bombardment.
Spoiler
[close]
And one Flag Cruiser because GREEN.
Spoiler

I spent a while looking for an LP version (from Luddic Enhancement) but wasn't lucky.
[close]
Fleet also contains two Morae fitted for bombardment and kinetic support, six Pirate Falcons fitted as hybrid missile/carrier ships, one converted Colossus for bomb duty, a single Colossus with maximum cargo, a pair of salvage rigs for flavour, and two Blackrock Hawkmoths because cruiser tanker.
No officers were used.
None of this is 'optimal', but who cares? It's fun, effort is hard, and I spent way too much time doing this nonsense.
[close]
And without even trying I ran into these guys, who seemed to be quite well off but also very interested in recieving donations.
Spoiler
[close]
I only deployed the Ventures here and let them do whatever while I pondered how green my ship was.
Spoiler

Ventures are good boys. They know to eat the rich without being told.
You can just see I lost two ships at the top of that image. Not a bad result for bricks.
[close]
What's next? We need something big, something to prove how 'good' our good boys are....
Spoiler

That'll do.
[close]
I ended up deploying eveything here eventually, and got burnt spectacularly. I lost my flagship about 2/3 of the way through the battle due to a stunning display of mediocrity on my part, and everything fell to pieces shortly after, resulting in....
Spoiler

All the good boys went to a better place.
[close]
But how much damage did they do to a battleship Ordo?
Spoiler

They got six frigates, two destroyers, two cruisers, and the battleship.
I'm not hugely disappointed by that result.
[close]
Verdict:

Ventures are good. Not great, but good.

[close]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:32:16 PM by Serenitis »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »

Nice projection.
Have you considered that having different expectations and goals makes some mechanics less relevant regardless of thier existence, and vice-versa?
Nice cover.
Have you considered that having different expectations and goals don't change the actual mechanics even when you pretend they do?

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »

You said "This looks like fun", did you put me in my place yet? I'm not feeling it.
Nice projection.
Nice projection.

Nice cover.
Have you considered that having different expectations and goals don't change the actual mechanics even when you pretend they do?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:21:18 PM by Hastur »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »

Nice projection.
Nice cover.
Nice projection.

Nice gif.
Have you considered that making fun of others will only escalate the conflict and bring attention of mods?

(Sorry I had to do it to em)
Please don't take me too seriously.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2019, 01:34:33 PM »

lol

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »

Anyways now that that fun it over with.

A side note for next patch, Venture and Drone tender will be bad to have if you are specialized in fighters as their drones will count against the skills limit for fighters lowering the bonus on all your real fighters. I am genuinely unhappy that the Drone tender will lose some viability, the Venture is caught in the same issue.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2019, 03:31:12 PM »

Spoiler
Nice projection.
Nice projection.

Nice cover.

[close]
Please don't do this. There is no need to tastelessly deride either of them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:33:01 PM by Plantissue »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9