Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making some ships, need feedback  (Read 3267 times)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Making some ships, need feedback
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »

Status on the mod:

Pomeranian
Ship: Done
System: Done
Hullmods: Done
Variants: Top (Missile), Beamer (Gravitons)
Balanced: More play-testing required

Corgi
Hullmods: Small Drone Bays: Can only equip drone wings of 5 OP or less
Variants: Not Yet

Dachshund
Hullmods: Small Drone Bays: Can only equip drone wings of 5 OP or less
Variants: Not Yet

Leonberger
Variants: Assault

Bernard
Variants: Logistics

Groenendael
Variants: Assault
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:14:12 AM by Ed »
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Making some ships, need feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »

Made some changes on the Pomeranian, gave up on the silly wings.
Leonberger lost weight, looks less goofy
Added Corgi and changed the general color scheme to grey/beige
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:10:51 AM by Ed »
Check out my ships

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 09:32:35 PM »

For the dachshund, while it is asymmetrical it's overall shape is still effectively a rectangle. It doesn't have a whole lot that defines its asymmetry aside from the spiky bit on the front right, if that makes any sense. It also feels very segmented horizontally, though I'm not sure how much of an issue that actually is.

The rest of them look great to me, I don't think I'm exactly qualified to critique the tiny details so I don't have a whole lot else to say. I like the Leonbergers shape a lot, it's really unique for a capital and feels fitting for a phase ship given its similarity to the doom.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe giving them some brighter highlights to offset the overall monochrome color scheme. They've already got the lavender accents but they sorta blend in with the grey, and while there is variation there's not a whole lot that draws the eye save for the higher detail 'greeble-y' areas.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »

Yeah i am remaking the dachshund, it will probably be symmetrical in the end.

I will probably add some extra details to all ships later, maybe in red or golden/yellow, my art style is still evolving, this is why i didn't begin making them into actual ships in the ship editor yet.

Thanks for the feedback, and don't think you are not qualified to critique it, i like to listen what others think no matter how skilled they are.
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »

Dachshund (delivery drone tender) 12 DP

4 bays, can only use drones that cost 5 OP or less
Freighter Civilian ship, very fuel efficient
1000 cargo, 30 speed, 400 fuel
Has no shield, and only has 1 small energy turret for PD
Lore-wise it is supposed to be a ship that travels between colonies delivering goods at several locations at the same time using drones without having to enter and leave the atmosphere (the drones are disposable and don't return)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 05:13:45 PM by Ed »
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 09:23:04 PM »

Mastiff (massive tanker and tug)

No shield and only 6 small energy turrets
10000 fuel capacity and equivalent drive stabilization of 4 Ox's
Zero use in combat, this is purely a logistical ship
I personally always use 4 Oxes when i reach endgame, and i always lack fuel capacity instead of cargo/personnel
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »

Labrador-class battlecarrier 60 DP

7 fighter wings, 2 large ballistic, 2 medium composite, 2 medium hybrid, 2 medium synergy, 2 small universal

This is the last ship for now, tonight i will start implementing them
Check out my ships

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 10:31:46 PM »

Cool ships! I especially like the naming scheme, it gives the ships a personality. Looking forward to trying these out in-game. Have you set them under a particular (new) faction, or are they the remains of a Domain-era ship manufacturer?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 11:20:58 PM »

If you intend this to be put into a public mod, I suggest you double-check your ship naming scheme: several of those dog breeds are already covered by PACK (part of this mod: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=161.0 ). In future you can check this Google Doc for names that are already "claimed" by other mods: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TezjLhhemFYX6Dzn6HAQay2CzBCQ-0Rqo7AyxDjpvyg/edit#gid=0

That aside, ships look good! I like the fighter bays, though they could stand some variation on the Labrador. Also don't be afraid to put some colour in. These ships are looking very very grey, they really need some colour to liven them up. The purple glow of the fighter bays is a good start, see if you can work from that.

(I'd try to avoid discussing balance here at this stage, but that Pomeranian is going to be a disgusting ship. Four medium missile slots *and* a missile system? For 10 DP?  :o You might want to nerf that a little bit.)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 05:41:56 AM »

Cool ships! I especially like the naming scheme, it gives the ships a personality. Looking forward to trying these out in-game. Have you set them under a particular (new) faction, or are they the remains of a Domain-era ship manufacturer?

I won't make a faction, these ships are made from reverse-engineered high tech ships, which shouldn't really be humanly possible, but seems like "ED", the engineer who made those ships may or may not be human.
These will be available in most faction markets, but it will be rare, i might add the actual Shipyard that makes them where you can buy blueprints one day.

If you intend this to be put into a public mod, I suggest you double-check your ship naming scheme: several of those dog breeds are already covered by PACK (part of this mod: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=161.0 ). In future you can check this Google Doc for names that are already "claimed" by other mods: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TezjLhhemFYX6Dzn6HAQay2CzBCQ-0Rqo7AyxDjpvyg/edit#gid=0

That aside, ships look good! I like the fighter bays, though they could stand some variation on the Labrador. Also don't be afraid to put some colour in. These ships are looking very very grey, they really need some colour to liven them up. The purple glow of the fighter bays is a good start, see if you can work from that.

(I'd try to avoid discussing balance here at this stage, but that Pomeranian is going to be a disgusting ship. Four medium missile slots *and* a missile system? For 10 DP?  :o You might want to nerf that a little bit.)

I was looking for this list, i only found outdated versions of it, i have now changed Mastiff into Bernard.
I do have the images in another color too, i just like those better, i might add both as variants or something later.
(I made the Pomeranian to compete with modded ships like the Imperium frigate that can spit ballista missiles nonstop at 5 DP)
Check out my ships

BTracer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 07:37:23 AM »

Mastiff (massive tanker and tug)

No shield and only 6 small energy turrets
10000 fuel capacity and equivalent drive stabilization of 4 Ox's
Zero use in combat, this is purely a logistical ship
I personally always use 4 Oxes when i reach endgame, and i always lack fuel capacity instead of cargo/personnel

I NEED this ship!

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »

Check out my ships

Horse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »

Design or balance-wise? I like the design, looks good. Balance wise Lederberger and Labrador seem silly OP (not as something necessarily bad). The only things that stand out to me are that Bernard and Lederberger's shapes are very similar to 2 Prometheuses or fat Onslaught respectively. I'd change the shape by shaving off few pokey bits to make them look more unique not only in colour scheme but also in silhouette.

(Edit: I tried something in Paint, but idk how to add pictures to this post, so nevermind)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:02:52 AM by Horse »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 01:04:14 PM »

Hey! Dog modders unite!  8)

Ships look really great, by the way.

Also sorry I seem to have not updated that names list properly - the PACK do have a Labrador (and a Bully Kutta, and ... eh ... a Dog Box)

I'll be really interested in seeing these implemented. (I'm also really pleased you managed to get a Pomeranian in there! I never felt I could quite make a ship to suit the dog, heh!)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »

Hey! Dog modders unite!  8)

Ships look really great, by the way.

Also sorry I seem to have not updated that names list properly - the PACK do have a Labrador (and a Bully Kutta, and ... eh ... a Dog Box)

I'll be really interested in seeing these implemented. (I'm also really pleased you managed to get a Pomeranian in there! I never felt I could quite make a ship to suit the dog, heh!)
Thanks!

Gotta think of a new name for Labrador then, i also want to reserve "Pug" before you use it!
Check out my ships
Pages: [1] 2