Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making some ships, need feedback  (Read 3305 times)

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Making some ships, need feedback
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »

Don't take my word without verification, but I think the UI only supports 6 fighter wings on a ship, which may interfere with implementing the formerly-known-as-Labrador.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »

I know there is a mod with an 8 bay ship... but it has 2 built in wings... so yeah, you might be right
If that is the case i will exchange the last bay for a gun or make the last wing built in

Oh and the new name is Groenendael.
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 05:53:21 PM »

Updated the front post with the current status, i have to learn how to make custom hullmods and systems (requesting tips for those) now, then make the variants and add the ships to the game in markets or blueprints. The first release should be up by weekend.
Check out my ships

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 11:49:02 PM »

Don't take my word without verification, but I think the UI only supports 6 fighter wings on a ship, which may interfere with implementing the formerly-known-as-Labrador.

There was some testing done recently (by myself at the request of MesoTroniK), to check this out, because I knew there were UI issues with large numbers of bays, but we weren't sure what the sensible limit was.

The outcome was this:
- For common small game resolutions, 7 bays fits comfortably within the fighter wing UI section. An eighth wing overlaps the selected weapon group readout.
- For the smallest possible resolution (which is apparently used by like 1% of users, so can probably be discounted) 6 bays fits comfortably, and the seventh just begins to touch the UI.

In short, 6 wings is safe, 7 wings is mostly safe, and 8 I would discourage. Anything higher than that is just asking for trouble.  ;)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 05:23:23 AM »

Oh nice, thanks for checking.

But now i started having some ideas about it and may still make a built in wing of unique fighters.

By the way guys, I am trying to find the hullmod script for Drive Field Stabilizer in the vanilla files, but i can't find it, do anyone know where it is and how it works?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:38:04 AM by Ed »
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »

So, who want to play with a capital phase ship that has SHIELDS?

Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 08:25:00 PM »

There is a problem with the new Leonberger though...
I guess this is a glitch, but i can't leave phase unless i vent, probably because of the shield.
I think this could be a drawback, turning glitch into feature, but i will try to make the ship system also remove phase if i can figure out how.
Check out my ships

wtftucker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 11:24:47 AM »

First off they are great looking ships.

I agree with some of the previous posters about the OP initial stats of some of the combat ships.  Additionally however the stats for the Bernard I think need to be tweaked for balance also.  The fuel usage per LY for ship of its size and features should arguably have 4 to 5 times the fuel burn if its providing the boost of 4 tugs.  I believe tugs are generally around 15 fuel per LY before efficiency mod.  I could see justification for 3x with lower base speed itself also but as current its on par with battlecruisers I believe in general. 

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 01:30:57 PM »

I see your point, none of the numbers are final, but right now I am busy trying to learn how to make the .jar file, so i can finish the last ship system and the last hullmod, then i will go back to playtest and balance, since i can't find a good guide for this and i have a day job the release of this mod might take more than expected.
Check out my ships
Pages: 1 [2]