Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Making an illegal purchase a warning pops up informing of raising your suspicion  (Read 1421 times)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

When attempting to make a purchase a warning pops up that informs you that it will raise your suspicion level, (giving you the option to not proceed to do so).

Or another option method is too instead inform you whenever you raise it by a level after the last purchase.

(The first option is before doing so, the other option is after you have done so).

Basically, the idea is to give the player feedback so they are awe of their actions and not caught off guard when leaving the station.

Edit: Just for clarification, there are few ways to make an illegal purchase and perhaps unknowingly doing so.

The first one would be opening the cargo black market, that is a no brainer and a player choice but beyond that...

There is navigating the ship fleet tabs of the available ships looking for the ideal ship to purchase. The process of switching back and forth between tabs you might lose track of what tab you are on when you spot the ship you want and go ahead and make the purchase without thinking. This has happened to me before, it was my fault but I was looking at so much info and focused on that, that I lost track of what tab I was on and was only focused on the ship types and ship specs.

The other way is when buying mounted weapons and not closing the black market purchase option. It is kind of hard to tell (to me at least) when it is on or off. So sometimes I end up making purchases from it.

The other one is when making Autofit purchases and forgetting to toggle off the buy from Black market option. It is clustered in amongst options you will generally want to be toggled on so you may forget to toggle it off (out of sight, out of mind - my mind sees all blue and says that it is all good). I think by default it is toggled on. This has happened to me often. I forget that I should turn it off when making a quick setup purchase.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:21:27 PM by Zalpha »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Isn't all suspicion gained from trading on the black market? Avoiding this doesn't require any warnings, just self-control.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Basically, the idea is to give the player feedback so they are awe of their actions and not caught off guard when leaving the station.

You literally switch tabs to go to the Black Market, which is clearly self explanatory. No need to make the game idiot-proof (which is impossible btw) and give a warning about every single thing a player does. If you really HAVE to buy off Black Market, then just trade with transponder off. If you don't have anything illegal with you, there's no reason to worry about scans.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

There is no way to check transponder status while shopping, beyond seeing if Open Market is open or closed for those stations that require clearance.  Not all do.  If I do not remember transponder status before I go to black market (and I can still access Open Market), I need to go back some screens until I can see my transponder.  (Maybe undock first, then redock.)

If showing transponder status while shopping is not possible, then a warning before buying something that raises suspicion as suggested is a good idea.  I have reloaded my game a few times after I realized I traded at Black Market with transponder on by mistake.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

If showing transponder status while shopping is not possible, then a warning before buying something that raises suspicion as suggested is a good idea.  I have reloaded my game a few times after I realized I traded at Black Market with transponder on by mistake.

But that doesn't punish you at all, right? I've got stopped at least 20 times by patrols and everytime they let me go without penalties. But yeah being able to see if transponder is on/off is a good idea while shopping.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Being stopped by patrols is annoying, even if I have nothing illegal.  They could lower rep just because they can.  What could be bad is if I am hauling cores (illegal almost everywhere) from wherever and took a pit stop at a core world before going elsewhere, like my colony to dump those cores.

Come to think of it, I wonder what will happen next release when customs stop your fleet with illegal automated ships in it, like that shiny Radiant you stole from the Remnants, or a core shoved into your Paragon to operate it?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I regularly buy at the black market with my transponder on, there's very rarely any consequence. It might even be bugged. Suspicion goes to extreme and I frequently get stopped by patrols but they almost always don't find anything. I mostly buy weapons and ships which aren't illegal, but sometimes they 'find' stuff when I have not bought anything so It's either bugged or RNG.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Autofit “purchase from black market” should be deselected by default and should be colored red.

But otherwise every time you select the black market there will be a distinct pirate red hue to everything that you do. Every time you equip a weapon from the black market in the refit screen the selection box will be bright pirate red.

There is more or less no excuse here except forgetting whether or not your transponder was off.

Otherwise buying on the black market increasing your suspicion is supposed to be opaque. So you cannot easily maximize your black market purchases. Giving a warning would defeat the purpose

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

If you buy something at black market, and transponder is off, then suspicion stays at "none".  If you buy something at black market, and transponder is on, then suspicion rises.  However, at least in a market that does not care about transponder status for clearance, there is no way to tell if your transponder is on.  I should not need to undock to check transponder status if I fail to remember before I dock the first time.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

When purchasing weapons to mount they are both colored-coded red for a normal and black-market purchase, one slightly darker than the other. I would imagine a black market purchase to be red or black but having both same colors makes it hard to tell if you are not paying attention.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile

When purchasing weapons to mount they are both colored-coded red for a normal and black-market purchase, one slightly darker than the other. I would imagine a black market purchase to be red or black but having both same colors makes it hard to tell if you are not paying attention.

They only pay atention on the Black Market...

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile

No...

The weapon will be black if
1) Its in your cargo holds
2) You do not have the OP/Cash to fit the equipment

Open Market/Military Market is colored the same as the faction you're buying from.

Black Market is red.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile

No...

Open Market/Military Market is colored the same as the faction you're buying from.

Black Market is red.

Now that you say, the only faction which does have a red market is the pirates

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

No...

Black Market is red.

Sorry, I was using the mod Hazardous Mining as reference, it is red like the pirates I guess.