Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A toolbar button option to quickly navigate back to the shop  (Read 1500 times)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
A toolbar button option to quickly navigate back to the shop
« on: August 27, 2019, 05:42:13 AM »

I often find myself auto-equipping a ship and find I am missing a mod needed and want to check back into the shop to see if I can purchase it, then I have to close down the menu and then click to visit the shop from the main menu. I would like a button to quickly switch between other menus (fleet, refit) and get back to the shop with a click of a newly added button.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A toolbar button option to quickly navigate back to the shop
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:38:18 AM »

Hmm - are the keyboard shortcuts not a good fit here for some reason? I to go to the shop, R to get back to the refit screen (which should remember the ship you had opened last), F to switch to the fleet screen.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »

Hmm - are the keyboard shortcuts not a good fit here for some reason? I to go to the shop, R to get back to the refit screen (which should remember the ship you had opened last), F to switch to the fleet screen.

Honestly, I didn't even think about it or know that I could do so. I hardly ever play games with shortcuts. I know a lot of people do but I am just not one of them, I just click around and click buttons and it works so I am happy to continue to do without bothering to worry about knowing shortcuts. If that is the solution then I will just suffer a few more clicks, if I remember to use the shortcut key then I will try to make use of it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:46:23 AM »

Ah, I see!

I'd also recommend using the 'A' shortcut to open and close the hullmod installation dialog - since the same key opens and closes it, it's nice and quick to open it up, check on something using the mouse, then press A again to close it and navigate elsewhere.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 09:48:59 AM »

You ask for a hotkey, but don't actually use hotkeys? What's the point in that?

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »

You ask for a hotkey, but don't actually use hotkeys? What's the point in that?

I asked for a button on the tool bar. Not a shortcut, that never occured to me as an option.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 01:40:57 PM »

Ah, I see!

I'd also recommend using the 'A' shortcut to open and close the hullmod installation dialog - since the same key opens and closes it, it's nice and quick to open it up, check on something using the mouse, then press A again to close it and navigate elsewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion I will try to remember and use that as well. I don't want to beat a dead horse with my suggestion, it was just a small quality of life idea. However just thinking of disable people that can only play games with a mouse, game design relying on shortcuts isn't really fair to them. I don't know if there are any who are disable that play this game (it can be done by automating everything, mostly for combat) but helping them and making this game more accessible is a good thing.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 01:55:45 PM »

Ah, I see!

Thanks for the suggestion I will try to remember and use that as well. I don't want to beat a dead horse with my suggestion, it was just a small quality of life idea. However just thinking of disable people that can only play games with a mouse, game design relying on shortcuts isn't really fair to them. I don't know if there are any who are disable that play this game (it can be done by automating everything, mostly for combat) but helping them and making this game more accessible is a good thing.

What does this have to do with disabled people lmao? The point of a hotkey or as you call it ''shortcut'' is literally to make things faster and require less clicks. But you can already do everything you explained in the original post with a mouse... Makes absolutely zero sense.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »

There are buttons along the bottom of the screen, though, right? I feel like I might be missing something about specifically what you were asking for. (As you say, not a huge deal regardless...)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 02:37:51 PM »

There are buttons along the bottom of the screen, though, right? I feel like I might be missing something about specifically what you were asking for. (As you say, not a huge deal regardless...)

Exactly what you mentioned here is what I am talking about, the buttons on the bottom of the screen when you are in fleet/refiting screen there is no button that will take you back to the shop. You have to close the menu, go to the main station menu and then click the shop. Baically I was asking for a button for the shop.

I thought the shortcut keys mentioned at the space station main menu only applied to the main station menu, I did not know that they worked through out the areas you can visit.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »

Exactly what you mentioned here is what I am talking about, the buttons on the bottom of the screen when you are in fleet/refiting screen there is no button that will take you back to the shop. You have to close the menu, go to the main station menu and then click the shop. Baically I was asking for a button for the shop.

I thought the shortcut keys mentioned at the space station main menu only applied to the main station menu, I did not know that they worked through out the areas you can visit.

Wait isn't the cargo tab basically a shop when you're docked? Cuz I'm pretty sure it works that way.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 06:37:21 PM »

Wait isn't the cargo tab basically a shop when you're docked? Cuz I'm pretty sure it works that way.

o_o Wut?

Oh man, I am an idiot. I have played for hours and hours and I am only learning about that now. Uhh, in my defense maybe change Crew/Cargo to Trade/Cargo?

This post can be deleted. *-*

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »

Ahhhhh! Ok, everything makes sense now :)