Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship System- ignore minimum armor  (Read 504 times)

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
Ship System- ignore minimum armor
« on: August 27, 2019, 01:25:02 AM »

Name- Heavy slugs/High capacity beams?  I dunno.

Effect- Ballistic/Energy weapons ignore minimum armor  (maybe one for both, maybe just ballistics. I do like the idea of letting mining drones/laser ignore it).

Possible downsides- Worse tracking (worse at the anti missile role) or X% chance (only works well with rapid fire weaponry, but not as well as it used to)

Cost- Probably not dedicated targeting core expensive, but might need to be up there, maybe even restricted?

Reason-

For those that didn't play before the minimum armor patch, it could be really fun to get up close with something like an onslaught kitted out with vulcans and HMG's that served as both your anti missile, and, eventually, your dps as you literally ground enemy ships into dust through a hail of endless dakka.  This wasn't super efficient at removing armor, but once you got through you'd rip into their internals in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately it was a little too good and was understandably nerfed with the addition of minimum armor.  I think it's still an interesting way to build ships though, and I miss my front line mora's designed to tank disable and grind. So hopefully there's a middle ground where a ship system can be introduced that brings back the playstyle