Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Terrible performance on multiple OS, AMD GPU issues?  (Read 9594 times)

eamax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible performance on multiple OS, AMD GPU issues?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 06:56:50 AM »

I would very much appreciate if you do some optimization for AMD before 1.0, if you need someone to test I will definitely be available.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 08:16:03 AM »

I appreciate the offer! Not sure there's really much I can do about it, unfortunately, at least as far as I know, it's kind of a fundamental problem. It also doesn't seem to affect *all* AMD cards/drivers, just some, so that makes it feel even more like an "unfortunate combination of specific card model and drivers" issue.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »

It's not a combination issue because it affects whole product lines. You are right that it's a driver issue, but there has never been a driver for these product lines - to my knowledge - where OpenGL has suddenly been 'better'. I have tried a bunch. I know it affects all R5/R7/R9 200ers, their 7XXX predecessors and some very recent models too apparently. There may be models in between that work better.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 10:07:31 AM by Schwartz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »

Right, gotcha. I guess that's more or less saying something similar - for whatever reason, the drivers don't handle it well on those particular product lines/models, but I see what you're saying and it's good to have more info about it.

eamax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »

I appreciate the offer! Not sure there's really much I can do about it, unfortunately, at least as far as I know, it's kind of a fundamental problem. It also doesn't seem to affect *all* AMD cards/drivers, just some, so that makes it feel even more like an "unfortunate combination of specific card model and drivers" issue.

Hi Alex,
I upgraded my computer and after changing the "FX 8300" processor to a "Ryzen 3600" the FPS problem is gone.
Using the same RX 580 GPU.
What I noticed that the bottleneck of my system has always been the processor and the game uses much more CPU than GPU... This makes me think that the problems are not actually AMD cards but old processors.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »

Hi - thank you for the update! Huh, very interesting. You had no problems with that same FX 8300 processor and a GTX card, though, right?

Regardless, it's very encouraging news to hear of the game getting good performance on an AMD card :)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2022, 06:43:46 PM »

I recently upgraded my PC to an all AMD laptop (Ryzen R9 5900HX CPU + rx6800m GPU) and Starsector performance has suffered (despite my last PC being 10 years old).  When I force both java and starsector to run on the dedicated GPU on Windows 10, performance decreases as well as seeing a weird shimmering effect on asteroid belts around planetary bodies.  Forcing the integrated GPU for both java & starsector does seem to help improve things (shimmering disappears), though while the framerate is ok I get a lot of big pauses while flying on the main map.

I think Linux has an OpenGL to Vulkan wrapper which might help, though I haven't really used Linux itself.  MS Store has an OpenGL to DX12 plugin for free, but after downloading and installing it, it doesn't help; though that could be because it only supports up to OpenGL 3.3 which I guess is more aimed at photo products with OpenGL acceleration (well I do use Lightroom occasionally, so maybe that might help).

eamax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2022, 12:18:55 PM »

Hi - thank you for the update! Huh, very interesting. You had no problems with that same FX 8300 processor and a GTX card, though, right?

Yes, maybe with AMD the game was much more reliant on the processor than using NVIDIA

Finally AMD fixed the problem with OpenGL on AMD 22.7.1 driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vej8t9BXqQ

https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-2271-driver-has-major-opengl-optimizations-and-windows-11-22h2-support/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:21:30 PM by eamax »
Pages: 1 2 [3]