Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Heavy Armor and You  (Read 6614 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Heavy Armor and You
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:24:44 PM »

So i was fitting out a conquest the other day and was trying to make it good and was failing. So i went and changed tactics. Instead of even half attempting to get its shield to a reasonable level i slapped heavy armor on it. And it worked a lot better and i felt dumb for not having seen it before.

The reason for this is obvious, the less armor you have the more valuable that heavy armor is. And similarly the worse your shield the less valuable that attempting to shield tank is. And, similarly, better the higher armor damage being done(to a point) I did some basic armor value calculations and came up with some handy tables

No Skills: Mark IX Autocannon vs Heavy Armor. Armor survival time increase as a percentage.

Code
Base	Frig	Dest	Cruise	Cap
100 300% 700% 1100% 1700%
200 100% 200% 350% 500%
300 50% 125% 200% 288%
400 50% 100% 158% 217%
500 33% 72% 111% 144%
600 29% 58% 83% 113%
700 23% 42% 65% 87%
800 16% 34% 53% 68%
900 16% 32% 45% 61%
1000 14% 25% 39% 53%
1100 10% 22% 34% 45%
1200 11% 22% 31% 42%
1300 10% 18% 28% 38%
1400 8% 17% 26% 33%
1500 8% 17% 24% 32%
1600 8% 14% 22% 30%
1700 6% 13% 20% 27%
1800 7% 13% 19% 26%

No Skills: Hephaestus Assault Gun vs Heavy Armor. Armor survival time increase as a percentage.

Code
Base	Frig	Dest	Cruis	Cap
200 100% 200% 300% 500%
300 50% 100% 200% 250%
400 33% 100% 133% 200%
500 50% 75% 125% 175%
600 17% 50% 83% 117%
700 29% 57% 86% 114%
800 22% 44% 67% 100%
900 18% 36% 64% 82%
1000 15% 38% 54% 77%
1100 20% 33% 53% 73%
1200 11% 28% 44% 61%
1300 15% 30% 45% 60%
1400 13% 26% 39% 48%
1500 12% 23% 31% 42%
1600 10% 17% 28% 38%
1700 6% 16% 25% 34%
1800 9% 18% 26% 32%

As we can see the conquest at 1200 base armor has 61% better survival time vs the Hephaestus Assault gun and 42% better vs the Mark IX. Whereas the Onslaught is 32% and 26% respectively. This is particularly important when you've got D-mods. A conquest can get down to 600 armor after D-mods, for 114% and 117% increased effectiveness!

Now, these are percentage values necessarily because its particularly hard to figure armor survival times given how hard it is to simulate hitting the same point on armor (and whether or not that is even possible) so there is loss of efficiency as armor values go down due to the raw survival time value being higher. I think i can get to a value that represents that(it will still be dimensionless but will reflect a fixed point rather than the floating point that the simple % does) but can't quite do it yet due to time constraints on my posting.

Anyway. The comparison here is of course to the effect of shields. In particular hardened shields. The value of hardened shields is very simple. Its 33% of your effective capacitor given that Dissipation > Usage. So for a conquest this is 20,000/1.4 * .33 = 4000. For an Onslaught this is 17,000 x .33 = 5610... For an Odyssey this is 4950(and only 1000 armor base!)*. For a Paragon this is a whopping 13750!  The Atlas and Prometheus Mk II's are also good candidates with 2640 Hardened/750 base armor for the atlas and 2887 Hardened/1300 armor for the Prometheus. These of course increase as you slam more caps on your ships(which you should be doing if you have the space) and it also decrease when you're shooting more flux/second than you're able to dissipate.

My conclusion, at least with regards to this one ship, is that the conquest is better off armor tanking primarily and only sometimes maybe using its shields to absorb hits(specifically high armor damage hits) and otherwise then flux dumping in order to force an opponent to take hits/vent first (as the conquest will probably win the vent race due to its huge base dissipation)

*Odyssey is special case though. Opportunity to vent is a significant contributor which can multiply this value and the Odyssey has one of the best vent cycles for a capital in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Armor and You
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »

One word. EMP.
Well actually 2. EMP + Missiles

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »

How did you calculate armour survival time? I'm attempting to recreate the results you received and I'm getting slightly different values...
Another thing worth mentioning is that while relative increase gets smaller, absolute number of hits needed to get through armour increases.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »

So i was fitting out a conquest the other day and was trying to make it good and was failing. So i went and changed tactics. Instead of even half attempting to get its shield to a reasonable level i slapped heavy armor on it. And it worked a lot better and i felt dumb for not having seen it before.

The reason for this is obvious, the less armor you have the more valuable that heavy armor is. And similarly the worse your shield the less valuable that attempting to shield tank is. And, similarly, better the higher armor damage being done(to a point) I did some basic armor value calculations and came up with some handy tables

Did you mean the more armor you have the more valuable that heavy armor is?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »

The main reason to put Hardened Shields on Conquest is for AI protection.  With very bad shields, the ship in vulnerable to overloading from big spikes of damage to the shield.  At least in previous versions (not sure if AI still behaves this way), AI will try to prevent flux from getting too high, but with terrible shields, it can jump straight from what AI thought was high yet safe to outright overload.  Hardened Shields helped fix that AI fault.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »

This is interesting, thank you for posting it. Did your % increase calculations include the effects of minimum reduction? It would also be interesting to see the effects of Heavy Armor on effective hull strength (as more base armor means more hull damage reduction, means more effective hull points).

However, I think that "% increase in survival" is a bit of a misleading statistic - I would be more interested in 'shots to break through' before and after, or 'added shots', the difference between the two. As an example of why I want this, consider the case of heavy armor taking a frigate's armor from 100 to 200: the percentage increase in toughness is huge, but the absolute toughness is still pitiful and the absolute added toughness is small. This is a general rule: the higher the base armor, the higher the absolute toughness added by Heavy Armor. In the example despite the large % increase, taking any but the weakest hits on the armor is a bad idea because the absolute toughness is still too low. The Conquest isn't such an extreme example, as 1200 armor is pretty good against common threats, but in absolute terms the increase is going to be much less for it than for an Onslaught.

For the conquest, I get hardened shields adding 4761 effective hitpoints with base capacity, not 4000 (used the same formula as you so I'm guessing a typo in calculation somewhere). In addition to base shield hitpoint increase, hardened shields increases the rate of hitpoint regeneration by 33% as well, a very important statistic when fighting at high flux. This is also an important point while under sustained beam fire (a rare event, but an annoying one). And also EMP arcs, but again thats a rare event as well.

The main thing that makes me a bit hesitant on relying on pure armor tanking for the Conquest  (for player piloting) is the distribution of damage sources in live play though: HE damage is delivered in large spikes that really needs to be stopped by the shields, and Hardened Shields is the only way to help stop these bursts (well, that and IPDAI). The effective HP increase of HS is enough to block 9 additional Atropos (without skills on either side). Of course the ship is going to be hit while having flux, but even being able to stop 3 more Atropos is the difference between a completely failed strike and one that does heavy armor damage. Not saying Heavy Armor is bad, but the Conquest's shield is weak enough that it really needs Hardened Shields in my experience.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »

Something doesn't seem right. I have a hard time believing, for instance, that a Frigate with 200 armour, now with heavy armour so now having 300 armour, suddenly has +100% survivability i.e. twice the time to kill it with a Hephaestus Assault Gun. It only takes about 3 shots to deplete the armour in either case and even a kite requires 9 shots to kill, so +100% survivability cannot possibly be true.

Generally speaking, the higher the armour value, the higher the damage the shots the ship can take before armour is depleted. So the higher the armour, the better heavy armour mod should be.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »

Another thing that doesn't make sense is that the "increase survival time" is higher for the Hephaestus Assault Gun (HE) when compared to the Mk IX Auto (Kinetic)

Also why would you want Dmods that reduce armor on the Conquest?

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »

Another thing that doesn't make sense is that the "increase survival time" is higher for the Hephaestus Assault Gun (HE) when compared to the Mk IX Auto (Kinetic)

All D-mods reduce deployment cost by 20%. Since most D-mods are less that 20% effectiveness, it actually makes your ships more effective per deployment points. At least till you hit the fleet cap anyways. This is debatable when officers or player ship is involved.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »

I was confused about the part where it was specifically stated that 600 armor Conquest with Heavy armor was more effective than normal armor conquest....

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 05:07:16 PM »

All D-mods reduce deployment cost by 20%. Since most D-mods are less that 20% effectiveness, it actually makes your ships more effective per deployment points. At least till you hit the fleet cap anyways. This is debatable when officers or player ship is involved.
D-mods reduce SUPPLY cost for deployment.  The actual point cost (determining how many ships you are allowed to deploy) stays the same.

On the topic of heavy armor: the problem with attempting NOT to shield-tank is that the AI isn't smart enough for that.  If the AI has a shield, it's going to use that shield.  In the case of extremely inefficient shields like the conquest, that means the AI is going to burn through all its flux in a second.  The armor will keep it alive a bit longer after that, but with no flux it can't shoot back, and living longer in a state of helplessness doesn't really help.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »

Would Conquest be more effective with cautious officers?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »

All of you who are unfamiliar with the armor mechanics should go to the armor tutorial link I shared earlier (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12268.0). Increased armor has different effect depending on the damage per shot of the weapon you are using. A small increase in armor may very well have a massive effect on survivability vs low damage per shot weapons, but stuff like hellebores and torpedos will be significantly less effected. This has all be discussed and calculated extensively.

The reality though is that armor is finite resource and shields are not. Armor tanking certain damage is very effective, and increasing it is a good strategy in a lot of cases (the skills are actually amazing, the hull mod is decent), but if the battle is long enough or you are taking major hits from high damage munitions, your armor will break and you will die, while you can always vent and have a fresh flux capacity to refill.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »

Would Conquest be more effective with cautious officers?
No, not even if armed with only Gauss Cannons, Maulers, and beams.  AI has trouble using them at the proper range, if at all.

If Conquest has Storm Needlers or other short-ranged weapons, it needs Aggressive officer to get close enough to shoot them instead of hanging back like a coward.  With 800 or 900 range weapons, such as medium kinetics and most heavy weapons, Steady probably works best.

AI Conquest without an aggressive enough officer, whether Aggressive/Reckless for short range or Steady for medium range, will cowardly hang back and let enemies with superior range pummel it.
Pages: [1] 2 3