Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 4013 times)

Apox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Noob Questions
« on: August 23, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »

Hello guys,

since yesterday I am the proud owner of a copy of starsector. I have been watching videos of it and loved the style and the challange, it seemed to give.

So... within a couple of hours I restarted the game several time, slowly gettig the hang of it, but I do have questions, because it's still quite hard, even on easy.

* Supplies & fuel -I have managed to make one delivery so far, had to go trough hyperspace and when I got the goods delivered, I got a payment of 4000 credits. Just byuing supplies and fuel after this trip, cost me more than I got paid, am I doing something wrong? (I also do realize now that black market goods are cheaper, but still seems way to little?). - How do I use less supplies? Can I somehow add something to the ship that makes it use less fuel? How do I travel further distances, how should I manage fuel?

* Officers - Where do I get new officers?

* Fleets - Is there a way to imporve fleets, not just single ships? Can I make my whole fleet faster or more efficient?

* Early Game - What should I be focusing on early game, as a noob? SO far I barely managed to leave the first star system.

Hope you can give me some noob advice!
Thanks for your answers in advance!

Regards
Apox

Apox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:10:50 PM »

Also:

Can I own Stations? Take them over or build them?

How do I get better rep with pirates?

Thank you!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 11:31:07 PM »

Resource Management: you can use less supplies, if you avoid hyperspace storms and star coronas. On the other hand, using less supplies relies on using the hyperspace storms to go over burn level 20. Trade missions scale with your cargo space, so you will get better ones in the future.
Officers: comms, the first option when you dock at a colony.
You can improve your fleet with skills. Your fleet burn level can be increased with tugs, but those use a lot of fuel, so don't do it just like that. Your individual ships can also be made more efficient with logistic hullmods, but those use ordnance points as well, so you might not want to put it on some ships.
Early game: trading or exploring, those paths are the least risky.
You can't own stations, but you can colonise planets.
You get better reputation with pirates by trading with them on the open market and doing missions for them. The only issue is that reputation with pirates is worth barely anything. Just get yourself to inhospitable, at which point they will no longer attack you on sight, without pushing any further.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:59:57 AM »

The following skills will help (press 'c'):
  • (green) Fleet Logistics level 2 = -25% supply use
  • (blue) Navigation level 2 = -25% fuel use
  • (yellow) Field Repairs level 1 and 2 = less supplies used to repair ships after battle and when recovering ships

Other ways to optimise resources consumption:
  • Do system bounties (press 'e' and look for them). Go to a system that has an actual system bounty, then stay within the system (don't go to hyperspace) and hunt. This way you will actually gain both fuel and ... skills points you could spend on the skills mentioned above. Great early game. Having a tanker in your fleet is a good idea as it will allow you to store all that fuel gained from battle.
  • When traveling longer distance for a mission and/or a named bounty, do the actual mission/bounty but also do other things nearby (exploration, other bounties).

Later in your adventures your will build colonies, which can produce and store those resources. You will be able to build defence station on these.

You may find officers going to the comm directory of a planet/station (press '1'). Enter the dialog and choose whether to recruit or not based on the officer's skills and the fee.

Improving your fleet? Just look at you character's skill (press 'c'): most green, blue and yellow skills will improve the whole fleet.  :)

Early game for new player? Starsector is a quite open sandbox, you will develop your own game style. I'll suggest to be efficient at managing resources so it don't drag your fleet down anymore, then get good at choosing and winning fights, also explore outside of the core worlds to find good planets and rare items.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 04:22:17 AM »

* Supplies & fuel -I have managed to make one delivery so far, had to go trough hyperspace and when I got the goods delivered, I got a payment of 4000 credits. Just byuing supplies and fuel after this trip, cost me more than I got paid, am I doing something wrong? (I also do realize now that black market goods are cheaper, but still seems way to little?).
I'm guessing you chose the Wolf/Kite start otherwise the starting bar mission would be 6k or 7k I think. That start is ideally made for you to start hunting bounties in the starting sytem, though there is nothing stopping you from doing otherwise. Anyways I did a quick test and if you did do that start, and accept the mission, you will have excess capacity, which means that you will lose a lot of supply per day. So you will simply lose so much supply per day that you cannot gain any profit. I suspect that is the case.

Check the bar on the three bars on the bottom right. The top one should be a white bar with what confusingly looks like 3 white jerry cans. You should nearly always aim to keep within your cargo capacity.

In my quick test I went and brought a Kite and went off to Olinadu in the Kumari Kandam System (there something ridiculous about a starting mission that sends you to a sytem filled with Pirates and Pathers). I lost 6 supplies and 21 Fuel along the way. Buying that in Olinadu in the open market costed me 1468 credits.

Not exactly the best test since I had to buy a Kite along the way, but I suspect the other starts should give you enough cargo space that you don't need another ship.

Apox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 02:58:46 AM »

Thank you for your answers, I am starting to grasp the game now.

However, I still have questions.

I keep reading about D-mods in the forum. Can someone explain to me what exactly this is?

Thanks!

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 05:35:29 AM »

I keep reading about D-mods in the forum. Can someone explain to me what exactly this is?
D-mods are semi-permanent flaws in a ship that result either from poor manufacture, or (more often) when the ship is destroyed and recovered. Each one imposes a penalty in some category, for example, the Compromised Armor mod causes a 30% reduction in armor.

These are not strict downgrades, as a ship costs 20% fewer supplies after battle for each D-mod on it. For example, a healthy Eagle costs 20 supplies every time you deploy it in battle. An Eagle with 1 D-mod costs only 16. Whether this discount is worth the D-mod penalty depends on your playstyle, the specific ships and D-mods involved, and whether you want to invest in skills that reward playing with D-mods. (Safety Procedures and Field Repairs.)

D-mods can be removed by restoring the ship at dock, but this is very expensive. (Buying a new ship is cheaper.)

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Damage_hullmods

Ogurr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a great day.

This is my first post here and because I also have a noob question - I thought I would ask it here.

I cannot get any seed to generate a sector like it was supposed to. Out of curiosity I have tried to use one of the posted here on the forums, but sectors that are generated are always different . I checked to use a seed described as vanilla version of 0.9.1a. Is there something I do wrong here? I pasted the seed in character creation screen.

Thank you.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 11:27:43 AM »

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a great day.

This is my first post here and because I also have a noob question - I thought I would ask it here.

I cannot get any seed to generate a sector like it was supposed to. Out of curiosity I have tried to use one of the posted here on the forums, but sectors that are generated are always different . I checked to use a seed described as vanilla version of 0.9.1a. Is there something I do wrong here? I pasted the seed in character creation screen.

Thank you.

some times the game does not recognize a seed you pasted, and don't even try using a seed from a older version in 0.9.1a

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »

D-mods are never explicitly mentioned in the actual game. Under Hull Mod description for a ship they are signified as (D) in orange. Or they are in the refit screen under Hull features & mods and above normal hull mods.

Each d-mod decreases the cost in supplies to recover from deploying in battle by 20%.

They aren't mods you can choose to add.

The origin of d-mod.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/01/20/ship-recovery/

Apox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »

D-mods are never explicitly mentioned in the actual game. Under Hull Mod description for a ship they are signified as (D) in orange. Or they are in the refit screen under Hull features & mods and above normal hull mods.

Each d-mod decreases the cost in supplies to recover from deploying in battle by 20%.

They aren't mods you can choose to add.

The origin of d-mod.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/01/20/ship-recovery/

Thank you, yea, I had no idea what exactly D-mod ment, even tough I saw all the (D) Tags on the ships.

Apox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:30 AM »

I have some more questions, not as noobish anymore.

So I have played around on easy mode to get the basics down. Now I started a modded game with Nexerelin and about 12-15 Factions in addition. It's great, there is a lot more difficulty and intricacies.

I have build aup a sizable fleet, with several cruisers, carriers and destroyers and frigates. Now I would like to ask you how you go about your resource management? I chose every ship depending on one major factor, min 9 burn and I am trying to find freighters and ships that consume little supplies, however, even with two extra freighters, I can store about 500 supplies while also dragging all the weapons I find along.

How do you manage supplies and fuel? Do you drop off all your cargo and weapons at the storage somewhere?

How do mod work? (the ones that can be bought in markets and sometimes looted from ships? I have a few, but havens't figured out how to actually put them on the ships, or are these for production only?

Thanks!

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »

Within the same tier of needed burn speed, I choose freighters depending on Cargo Capacity per upkeep. A quick way is to compare Cargo Capacity per Maintenance. Though I suppose you can try to take crew upkeep and fuel costs as well as a factor. It sounds like you may have 2 Mules for 500 cargo. They are terrible as freighters, though possibly better than Mudskipper depending on how much fuel you will use. Don't forget to take into account of Militarised Ship System (+1 for civilian ships) and Augmented Drive Field Hull (+2) mods if you have them available to the range of ships for a preferred burn speed.

I guess most people put excess weapons into storage, though be aware you pay 1% fees every month on their cost, so beware putting things that cost 500 000 credits in storage. Colonies give free storage.

If you have brought Modspecs, right click to learn them. Then goto ship refit screen and apply them on the right by clicking "Add". You need to have enough Ordance Points spare to apply them and there may be some restrictions like needing to be in a dockyard.

Apox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 11:44:31 AM »

I have some more noob questions, yet again.

Yesterda I tried to put ships into storage (I rented storage space at a station), when I go to the fleet screen, I see a storage icon on the top right corner of the screen but can't figure out how to put the ships into storage? How do I?

Do civilian ships surve any purpose? Why should I bother with them.?

Are mining ships or slavaging ships usefull? What mor do I get from them?

Thx!

Ebola

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »

When in storage, the "sell" option becomes the store option. In the fleet screen, select the storage (else you sell) and click on the icon, it's above the row of other options for ships like mothball.

If you mean ships with civilian grade hulls, these are generally transport ships for cargo, crew or fuel. Very useful if you need the space, very useless in combat.
If you mean things like the Kite (S) class shuttle, other than styling on your opponents while you let three paragons mop them up, no. I'll go do that now actually. But really, get an armed version.

Those ships reduce the amount of supplies needed for exploring planets, useful if you just map out everything when planing for a colony but generally a waste of space otherwise.
Pages: [1] 2