Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Six random questions from new player  (Read 1075 times)

DreadLordNaf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Six random questions from new player
« on: August 23, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »

Been playing for a short while after learning about the game from sseeth.   I have some random questions for ya'll that I can’t quite figure out:

1. How do I estimate and assess enemy fleet strength without actually going into combat?  I thought maybe looking at their peak CR would give me an indication if I could take them or not, but that seems to be really random.  I’m not sure a good way to assess if I’m even in the ballpark of being able to fight another fleet except for just looking at the size and number of their ships.  Is that simply the best way? Or are there some stats I am not seeing that give a better indication of fleet combat strength?

2. How do I resume a course that I've plotted? Often I’ll lay in a course for a place, then click around before i get there to manually navigate my fleet a bit around some obstacles.  After I do this I notice the arrows still shows me as targeting the original planet or sector, but my fleet wont resume going there if I manually move around, the fleet just stops, unless I re-select the target on the map. This results in me constantly having to re-select targets on the map just because I moved around a little manually. Is there a way to resume a course I already plotted without having to constantly re-select it on the map?

3. How do I see the global market for goods when I’m not docked AND dont have any of those items in my inventory?  For example I know if I’m in comms range I can open up my cargo and hit F1 to see the market.  But it looks like I need to have that item in my cargo first. Oftentimes I want to accept a cargo mission with a very short time duration but I’m not sure how to quickly check the market on where I can buy those items without wasting 5 to 10 days moving to the closest port to check.

4.  What is the best way to protect non-combat ships in combat? It seems like my freighter and tankers get blown up all the time when someone else initiates an attack and I don't get the chance to choose what ships to deploy. I haven't figured a good way to handle this yet.  Any tips?

5. How do I successfully retreat? It seems I always get destroyed if I try to retreat, the enemy just catches up and kills me.... Are there any good tactics people recommend besides prayer? 

6. Related question, I’ve never been able to disengage from the pre-combat screen when given the option. Is that because my ships are too slow in combat speed? Or some other factor that influences this?

Thanks all for any help.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:55:23 AM by DreadLordNaf »

BTracer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Six random questions from new player
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 09:06:23 AM »

1. With time you'll recognize ships and weapons and what they do.
2. 'a'
3. If it's a mission through the intel screen - on the right there is a button - Check Markets or something like that.
4. Early on its best not to get caught - best way to do that is make sure all your ships have at least burn 9. If you do get caught it all depend on the top speed of your ships, but losses are expected.
5. Same as 4.
6. On the fleet screen - left side middle - there is some grey text indicating whether your fleet is small enough to disengage.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »

1. Experience. Size, type and ship numbers. Number and levels of officers, number of D-mods(orange bars).
2. A
3. cant help you
4. don't deploy them? you need only deploy them if you try to run - you can choose to engage instead and stay and fight with your combat ship until you blow enough of enemy ships to get free retreat option
5. you need to have fast ships, instead of civilian cargo ships get combat fraighters  - theya re faster and you can mount SO on them for extra speed
6. burn speed - either skill, or extra mod ship or you can get Ox to push them - you go with the slowest one so remember to up speed on them

CecilArongo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 09:18:57 AM »

I'm also fairly new, but I'll share what I've learned!

1. I just pick bounties based on the ships/counts. It's supposed to be kinda iffy and risky to take on a fleet.

2. Easy, press "A" or click the little 'Resume course' button above your minimap.

3. That one I'm not entirely sure yet.

4. Make them fast, and pray. Have enough combat ships handy to protect your squishy stuff. Thankfully, they're cheap.

5. Retreat is a very tactical thing, you have to be able to defend yourself long enough to get away. As above, your slower ships are gonna have a harder time of it.

6. "Attempt to Disengage" is still a battle, you just have to reach the other side OR defeat the pursuing forces to get away. Another thing to watch out for during regular battles in your "Clean Disengage" counter, it tells you how many fleet points you have to kill in order to avoid the disengagement battle if you were to retreat.

Hopefully this has been a help. A couple other tidbits I've taken to heart:
A. The AI can be fairly smart. Use this to your advantage. Pilot a smaller ship such as a frigate or destroyer class to start, and let your officers handle the cruisers. I got really good at the Shrike, before I got my Onslaught and now it's my main ship.
B. The star map is really good at telling you where to fly to avoid the worst of hyperspace cloud storms.

DreadLordNaf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »

Really helpful answers, thanks all!  I'll try some of these tactics out on the fleet management and retreat etc.