Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Ship costs and availability  (Read 16773 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship costs and availability
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2019, 01:04:45 PM »

My goodness, is it really neccessary to spam 4 posts in the same thread.

All of which is where you are trying to rudely force your own personal interpretation of reality.

It might be your name, but you have no reason to live up to it and be trashy.

I was away for awhile as I was working on something and kept being interrupted, so I answered posts in intervals. I could have put them all in a single post. Oh well, what's done is done.

It would be totally broken for restoring ships with 3 or more mods to be at all comparable or cheaper than buying since those are the vast majority of the recoverable ships. I would even say that most 2 dmod ships would get immediately restored as well.

I don't see why making money of salvaging ship should be a bad idea.
And again, you seem to be factoring in fuel and supply costs, which add up quite a bit (especailly supplies). Some of the skill might help, but regardless if you try to sell it (price depends on condition) or use it, you're gonna spend tons of supplies. Still, if there was no money to be made in restoring old stuff, no one would be doing it, ever.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2019, 01:07:14 PM »

Maybe 'never buy ships again' was a little hyperbole, but it would certainly become my primary way of acquiring ships until I got heavy industry. If I am already doing bounties (which I am) then I would have to fly there and back anyway, and the ships would be offered to me anyway. In fact, flying from market to market looking for ships (and praying to RNGsus) is something I would not normally do, so I would argue that is going much further out of my way than doing bounties. Also, 20-30% of a cruiser or capital is a lot of money, definitely a lot more than the fuel and supplies you spend to get it home, plus fighting the bounty already gained me a bunch of money and net positive supplies and fuel if I have taken salvaging skills.

I think you're on to something here. Skills affect profitability by a HUGE margin.
Use of fuel/supplies, amount of material looted, the better ship condition and free 50% repair (supplies saving), etc... all of this makes balancing a nightmare.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »

Maybe 'never buy ships again' was a little hyperbole, but it would certainly become my primary way of acquiring ships until I got heavy industry. If I am already doing bounties (which I am) then I would have to fly there and back anyway, and the ships would be offered to me anyway. In fact, flying from market to market looking for ships (and praying to RNGsus) is something I would not normally do, so I would argue that is going much further out of my way than doing bounties. Also, 20-30% of a cruiser or capital is a lot of money, definitely a lot more than the fuel and supplies you spend to get it home, plus fighting the bounty already gained me a bunch of money and net positive supplies and fuel if I have taken salvaging skills.

I guess this begs the question. Does the dev want us buying new ships or taking and restoring D mod ships? Maybe a mix of both?

I really think we should be able to put ships on order and/or rent orbital works to make our own stuff (maybe at a low production rate 30k/month?) before we own a planet. I feel like too much of the game is you waiting til you own a planet to get the stuff you want, at which point the game is over basically.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:22:04 PM by Locklave »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]