Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Ship costs and availability  (Read 16864 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship costs and availability
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 08:29:10 PM »

Restoring ships is significantly more expensive than buying them pristine and it is meant to be. Otherwise, there would be no reason to ever buy ships and d-mod ships would also probably get upgraded at the first opportunity every time.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »

The settings file has many options for you guys you know.
Restoration too expensive? Change lines 397 and 398
   "baseRestoreCostMult":1.2,
   "baseRestoreCostMultPerDMod":1.2,
Ship and weapons too cheap or expensive? Change lines 279, 280, 287 - 289
   # ship weapons and fighters; need to be cheaper to sell to avoid some ship production exploits
   "shipWeaponBuyPriceMult":1.2,
   "shipWeaponSellPriceMult":.25,

"shipBuyPriceMult":1.2,
   "shipSellPriceMult":.4,
   "hullWithDModsSellPriceMult":0.2,

SS is so very easily moddable that it makes me wish other games were as easy as it! If you don't like a feature, explore the settings file and see if it is listed! You'd be surprised what is in there! Just be sure to back it up before modding it though, just in case
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 04:52:52 AM »

Yes we know.
That don't change game progression, lack of mid game or forever respawning pirate fleets.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 08:00:13 AM »

Restoring ships is significantly more expensive than buying them pristine and it is meant to be. Otherwise, there would be no reason to ever buy ships and d-mod ships would also probably get upgraded at the first opportunity every time.
That's not true.  Consider if restoring cost 80% of a new ship, instead of 120%.  Would you still buy new ships?  Yes, because buying D-modded ships straight still costs money, so the cumulative cost of both the ship and the restoration would be greater than that of the new ship.  You could try to salvage the ship and save money, but not so significantly much money that you would only ever salvage.  Salvaging requires extra time and effort (you have to find the ship, defeat it in combat, and then get lucky, and then drag it back home to repair and refit).  You SHOULD be rewarded for taking that extra time by saving a bit of cash.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »

You dont have choice if we speak about restoring a unique ships, especially when they have a 10 dmods or even some more.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »

You dont have choice if we speak about restoring a unique ships, especially when they have a 10 dmods or even some more.
There's only one kind of "unique" ship in the base game you can restore, and it's only really a novelty anyway.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 08:57:07 AM »

Yes they would, it's not like you can decide which ships on the enemy side survive the battle.

D mods get taken because people need that ship or need any ship if desperate. Restoring them later should be reasonable or D mod ships become pointless the second you have enough money to just buy everything new.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 11:35:31 AM »

There's only one kind of "unique" ship in the base game you can restore, and it's only really a novelty anyway.
Legion (XIV) is good, and the only good ship that can use Hammer Barrage or Cyclone Reaper effectively.  I wished that ship could be built.  There needs to be a good ship that can use dumb fire large missiles.  (Gryphon is bad, and everyone else has conflicting design to use them effectively.)

After next release, "unique" ships will be any ship with added built-in mods, which will probably be the player's entire endgame fleet plus some spares.

Once story points come next release, people will not have much incentive to get new ships if story points are harder to come by than money.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »

Legion (XIV) is good, and the only good ship that can use Hammer Barrage or Cyclone Reaper effectively.  I wished that ship could be built.  There needs to be a good ship that can use dumb fire large missiles.  (Gryphon is bad, and everyone else has conflicting design to use them effectively.)

After next release, "unique" ships will be any ship with added built-in mods, which will probably be the player's entire endgame fleet plus some spares.

Once story points come next release, people will not have much incentive to get new ships if story points are harder to come by than money.

talking abolt a "unique" ship, wolf start will recive an indirect buff from the story points, you can drop a Free SO for both hull OP and player SP, basicaly "fixing" wolf's flux problem

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »

talking abolt a "unique" ship, wolf start will recive an indirect buff from the story points, you can drop a Free SO for both hull OP and player SP, basicaly "fixing" wolf's flux problem

What's the point of making an SO Wolf? If I wanted to melee enemies, Lasher does it so much better.

Wolf's primary strength is it's ships system. Shorter CR time - fewer system charges you get to use during combat. Installing SO on Wolf sacrifices the only good part of it...

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »

What's the point of making an SO Wolf? If I wanted to melee enemies, Lasher does it so much better.

Wolf's primary strength is it's ships system. Shorter CR time - fewer system charges you get to use during combat. Installing SO on Wolf sacrifices the only good part of it...

I used SO mostly as an exemple, you can add Hardened Sub-Systems or anything you want in a frigate, and you will not lose that SP because frigates return them after some time, now that I think about free eficiency overhaul + ITU on a hyperion would be nice

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »

We don't really know how story points will end up, so why act like we know? It shouldn't figure into discussion about current game mechanics.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »

We know enough, if not everything, based on blog and bits from Alex's posts.  It is not rocket science to see possible problems later if nothing else changes.

Currently, restoration is expensive, which means you only do it if the ship is rare or if you have so much money that having a pristine ship now is worth the convenience.  Also, for XIV ships, exploiting a bug in which restoring an XIV ship is cheaper than building a new one from Heavy Industry (or buying it from Hegemony).

Next release, we know of story points and how they are earned, and ships can gain built-in mods by spending story points.  So far from what it was given, this is the only way to put built-in mods (that you want) on the ship.  I guess buying or building a ship will acquire a ship with no additional built-in mods.

Power-hungry players will probably want to keep their souped-up ships as long as possible, possibly forever if they can, if story points are hard enough to grind for.  (Currently, endgame player can afford to scuttle and build new ships if convenient.  I would not do this if I lose ship with built-in mods, unless I have so many story points that I can spend them painlessly on a new ship.)

Therefore, for the next release, if it is less painful to spend money than story points, then player will either restore the ships, or reload and replay the fight until no ships die if restoration is still too expensive (and story points tedious to gain).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:43:57 PM by Megas »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »

Alex did say ship mods will add an exp bonus to story points to refund 75% of said points spent on mods. Meaning ship mods will pay back most of the cost in the long term.

Seems like he wants ship mods to be a common and not too costly use of Story points.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »

That's not true.  Consider if restoring cost 80% of a new ship, instead of 120%.  Would you still buy new ships?  Yes, because buying D-modded ships straight still costs money, so the cumulative cost of both the ship and the restoration would be greater than that of the new ship.  You could try to salvage the ship and save money, but not so significantly much money that you would only ever salvage.  Salvaging requires extra time and effort (you have to find the ship, defeat it in combat, and then get lucky, and then drag it back home to repair and refit).  You SHOULD be rewarded for taking that extra time by saving a bit of cash.
I would not buy any ships ever if it were cheaper to restore them. I am already fighting all the time because I mostly do bounties, so I would not even have to go out of my way, and I already pass on many hundreds of ships in salvage. If you fight lots of bounties, the ship selection would actually be better than going to markets and trying to find stuff. It would be way too easy.

Yes they would, it's not like you can decide which ships on the enemy side survive the battle.

D mods get taken because people need that ship or need any ship if desperate. Restoring them later should be reasonable or D mod ships become pointless the second you have enough money to just buy everything new.

D-mod ships would be pointless if it were cheaper because you would almost always restore them. They're never desirable, making it cheaper to restore wouldn't change that. Once you have enough money you would just restore them all instead of buying new ships, it's literally the same.

Also, if you fight many battles you will almost certainly see enough ships to get what you want, and often, there are many copies of the same ship so your odds of seeing it are quite good. I have seen many more apogees in post battle salvage than I have in stores. The selection is usually better from salvage tbh, except that they all have d-mods.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5