Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Commissions.  (Read 20017 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Commissions.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 02:18:34 PM »

Long term, ships and weapons a faction offers should not matter since player who wants everything will get them all after enough salvaging and/or raiding.  What matters more is their markets and their attitudes.  I would not want to join Hegemony if I plan to rely on cores to run my colonies (if they still inspect despite commission).

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »

By that time, you care not for much, so it is better to talk about before such happens.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »

Persean League also sell phase ships, the tempest, and the hammerhead.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 03:07:44 PM »

I've only ever seen the tempest in their non-military markets oddly enough.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 08:23:09 PM »

Its actually kinda sad that in vanilla gameplay, Luddic Path is a thousand times cooler both in how they are designed and their ships than the Luddic Church. It kinda feels like the Luddic Path was made first, and then the Luddic Church was just a after thought. They don't really have unique ships, or unique systems of gameplay, or unique systems in general.

Luddic Path have their kamikaze SO ships as well as their Luddic Path cells / bases. Luddic Church just.. exists.

A lot of missed potential in the Luddic Church being the "swarm" faction. A Luddic Path except on steroids with their frigates all being medium / large missile patched together tug boats. Seeing 20 of these rush head long into you with no regard, and winning barely, just to face another kamikaze wave would make the Luddic Church actually dangerous to fight till you have a good enough fleet (just like every major faction).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 06:42:23 AM »

With big enough markets, anything the faction makes can appear in Open Market.  Things can get silly if that market is your size 8+ colony with Commerce, and quality stacked high.  I have seen Paragons for sale at Open Markets in my colonies.  I do not remember if it was pristine or had one (D) mod.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 11:55:08 PM »

I know about the pirate bounty but atm commissions are basically free money with very little requirements
edit: nvm misread

It constantly causes you to be at war with random major factions and destroys your ability to build rep with any faction but the one you signed the commission with. This screws up tons of things and makes travel dangerous as random fleets might gank you because they just started a war. Your commission group might declare war with a group you are currently in the system with.

I'd say those are rather large drawbacks, rep especially as building it is slow.
Commissions are also the fastest way to build rep with the chosen faction prior to being able to farm AI cores.  You can only buy military ships from the faction you are commissioned with anyway, so the other reps aren't that big an issue.  Basically start the game, rush a Tri-Tachyon commission, farm their rep, buy a Paragon, Win.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »

I disagree. Commissions are already a tough sell for one reason - you are essentially locking yourself into loyalty with one specific faction.

Yes, it does give you free income, but it locks you out of missions from factions that your commissioning faction is hostile towards. Yes, you do have access to military market, but only for that one faction, which may be problematic if you want to mix different ship techs in your fleet (I mean, you can still use black markets of other factions, but you will have to sneak around if it's at war with your host faction).

You're not locked, you can abandon commissions. And you are not locked out from other markets - it is very unlikely a faction will be at war with all others constantly.

furthermore, if you want something from faction X, if it's hostile to you because of commission...well, more salvage for you!

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »

Hegemony has poor ship choices, and their colonies are all on one side, so IMO Persean League is best commission, for having a much broader ship choice, as well as more spread out colonies for you to resupply.

Hegemony has Pirate bounties in at least 2 systems starting day 1 and they extend deeper outside the core then anyone, even if just 1 side of the map. You can buy basically anything when you leave war state with X group anyways. Military ship selection for all groups isn't exactly stellar in the first place. Black market = solved.

More on point being allies with Hegemony aside from the early bounties makes exploring that one corner far easier. I assume you aren't exploring everywhere randomly. Just drop the commission later. Meantime you got the Commission cash the second you enter the main game without side work.

Persean has better ships, doesn't mean you need them now for exploring or bounty hunting garbage pirates.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »

Hegemony has poor ship choices, and their colonies are all on one side, so IMO Persean League is best commission, for having a much broader ship choice, as well as more spread out colonies for you to resupply.
Having all the colonies concentrated in one area is a benefit.  If you are patroling friendly space for system bounties or looking at military bases for new ships, you have less distance to travel and you don't have to cross over potentially hostile space.  Having worse ships is a far more compelling reason.   You are only going to have time for one commission and raising one faction rep to cooperative, so it is imperative that you pick the faction with the best possible ships for your effort.  Otherwise you finish with less than optimal ships and have to go set up colonies and raid stronger factions with a sub-par fleet.  As far as I'm concerned there's only one valid faction, and that's Tri-Tachyon.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »

Having all the colonies concentrated in one area is a benefit.  If you are patroling friendly space for system bounties or looking at military bases for new ships, you have less distance to travel and you don't have to cross over potentially hostile space.  Having worse ships is a far more compelling reason.   You are only going to have time for one commission and raising one faction rep to cooperative, so it is imperative that you pick the faction with the best possible ships for your effort.  Otherwise you finish with less than optimal ships and have to go set up colonies and raid stronger factions with a sub-par fleet.  As far as I'm concerned there's only one valid faction, and that's Tri-Tachyon.

I prefer Hegemony commission because it controls the entire East-South side. And by the time you build colonies with orbital and pristine nanoforge, tri tach is a great place to raid for good bps

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »

Hegemony is good to raid too.  The only way to get the five XIV blueprints is to raid one of the two Hegemony industry worlds.  (The one in Valhalla is relatively easy to raid, comparable to Ludd's Asher in difficulty.  Chicomoztoc is about as hard as Sindria/Culann.)

I raid everyone for all of the rarer blueprints, although it raid easier targets if possible.  Independents for phase and midline ships.  Luddic Church for Legion.  Pirates for Falcon (P).  Hegemony for XIV ships and railguns.  League for some high tech stuff.  Sindria/Culann for high-tech, tachyon lance, and needlers.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »

Culann was really really easy to raid though. I've also raided the pirate industry station and plan to raid the Perseans
Pages: 1 [2]