Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: how trading actually works  (Read 16543 times)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: how trading actually works
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »

I see no reason to reward the compulsion loop. The are thousands of f2p games which offer that compulsion loop gameplay. As it is, there is more money to be made by procurement missions , which is entirely "legal", than open market trading. I don't think you even need to turn transponder off anymore to do those.

Everything is a gameplay loop. Make money to buy bigger/more ships to make more money to buy bigger/more ships ect.

Your second point was addressed earlier if you care to read it.
I don't know Locklave, if you have a psecific point to make, I expect you to make it.

Fair enough, you can consider everything a gameplay loop. It's not the same thing as a compulsion loop. What I object to is your comment that open market trading should always be 10% profitable. Why 10% ? Why not 1% ? Then you can have the compulsion loop you want anyways. If you take procurement missions, they are widly profitable anyways. They are more interesting than making open market trading profitable. There's nothing to differentiate what you want trading to be from thousands of other games with identical gameplay. Starsector should focus on what is unique about it.

MrDeath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2019, 09:49:10 PM »

An idea I've echoed in another thread that might offer better viability to open market trade would be expanding the total values of the markets, and tying that total value expansion to vaster ranges of deficits and surpluses as the game progress. Or potentially tying deficits an surplus amounts to Cargo Hold availability.

Deficits and surpluses in the markets, in my opinion, are too small as the game progresses. Buying 200 units of surplus early is fine, but as you progress from early-mid game unit numbers like that become woefully lacking in any real meaningful dedication to earn profits.

As a early to mid-level player the deficit and surplus mechanic became incredibly unattractive and the farther I progressed the less that mechanic seemed to be relevant.

As I became a major distributor though founded colonies late game, checking on the markets revealed that it appeared as if my exports were flooding the market with surpluses, and almost no deficits to be found anymore. And the surplus numbers were, again, quantities ranging from 200 - 500 units: irrelevant quantities for a fleet carrying in the thousands.

That really doesn't make any sense. One way or the other, if I was exporting enough goods to flood the market the unit range of surpluses should become higher, but also I shouldn't be exporting enough goods to do that as all of my colonies grew to become large population centers, which made them massive consumers.

So I definitely feel trade could be improved in concerns to open market deficit and surpluses. And probably would be best done so by expanding the total value of markets, possibly as the game wears on or as additional colonies are founded, thus increasing the range at which deficits and surpluses happen.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:50:48 PM by MrDeath »

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2019, 04:25:09 AM »

Trading felt like a unrewarding waste of time when I last tried it. Have not tried since 0.9. It would require significant redesign to make it viable compared to other forms of progress in the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]