Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: QOL: Repair your ships at the dockyard – Auto purchase repair supplies to do so.  (Read 2477 times)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

When landing somewhere and you want to use the option: Repair your ships at the dockyard – Auto purchase repair supplies to do so if you select that option. Of course with a coast announcement of how much it will coast you and how much you have, if you wish to make the purchase. (Confirm or deny option if you wish to do so).

I should clarify, I am talking about not using up your supplies but rather purchasing more from the base to make up for the repairs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:53:22 AM by Zalpha »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

I think that repairing at Dockyards should automatically repair your ship for a cost in Credits, not a cost in Supplies, and yes, be available everywhere.  If you wanted this mechanic to be fancy, fine, it's the cost of Supplies locally.

It's a straightforward QoL issue, I agree that it's an anachronism of earlier versions of the game, and it's easily fixed.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

I think that repairing at Dockyards should automatically repair your ship for a cost in Credits, not a cost in Supplies, and yes, be available everywhere.  If you wanted this mechanic to be fancy, fine, it's the cost of Supplies locally.

It's a straightforward QoL issue, I agree that it's an anachronism of earlier versions of the game, and it's easily fixed.

I think your idea is better, to just make it cost credits. I mean they have docking stations and crews on standby to do repairs. It should cost you a fee rather than eat up your supplies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Not a bad idea, but it would be nice to use supplies on hand instead of credits if I do not have the cash but have enough supplies in my fleet to do it.  I would not want to sell supplies at a discount just to get enough cash for repairs.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

I don't mind if it does both... I just want it to be one button and not require buying Supplies, then circling back to that UI!
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Some potential issues with this suggestion:
  • Which sub-market are the supplies bought from?
  • What if there aren't enough supplies available to repair your fleet?
  • What if there are enough supplies, but only if you pull from various sources?
  • What if you don't have enough money?
These problems can all be resolved, of course, but doing so would require more GUI changes than I think is reasonable.

I think that repairing at Dockyards should automatically repair your ship for a cost in Credits
This would improve QoL, but it would require sacrificing aspects of the game that I think are interesting. Supply management is one of my favorite things about this game. Plus, it doesn't make sense that a backwater of 1000 people would be able repair and refuel my fleet no matter how torn up it is.

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile

Plus, it doesn't make sense that a backwater of 1000 people would be able repair and refuel my fleet no matter how torn up it is.
But you just dropped them off there. Those are the same guys who were fixing up your ships last month.