Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Nomads, v1.4.11-rc2  (Read 368771 times)

Garmine

• Lieutenant
  • We're The Borg. Every resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] The Nomads (v1.0 RC3)
« Reply #405 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »

I have just noticed something that might be a tiny design issues. The edges of alot of the ships are not smooth...they look like jagged edges instead of a smooth finish which would make more sense in space.

In space there's no air resistance or other shenanigans, so your designers are free to engineer whatever looks the best to them! ;)
So there's no shape that 'makes sense' in space, however, you should consider combat properties of the shapes of military ships for sure.
I went outside one day, the graphics were amazing, but the gameplay sucked...
Prepare yourselves for miscapitalization errors! *evil laugh*

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 06, 2013, 07:57:37 AM »

Also keep in mind that ships have to blast off from a planet and pass through an atmosphere. Some thicker and more resiliant than others. This may cause engineers to design smooth aerodynamic shapes. Ships build in orbit or in space are less likely to need such shapes. Unless they have an atmospheric purpose as well.

Besides all that, what looks cool trumps all.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #407 on: November 06, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »

It's more of just an art style thing. I was conflicted between painterly edges and "pixel-art" edges on a lot of stuff, so I'm hoping you'll just overlook the imperfections  ;D

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 13, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »

eh...it bothers me...maybe i can smooth them if i can get my hands on the ships image file...im in college and i learned adobe illustrator and learning adobe photoshop

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »

I'd really rather you didn't.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 14, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »

The ships are beautiful as is and I see nothing wrong with them.
They're also really fun to use.

IronBorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 21, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »

I really like the ships and lore in this mod!

Are these ships meant to be balanced vs vanilla? They are arguably overpowered if so. The cruisers have the hull strengths of capital ships and the capitals are ridiculously strong. That, and since their weapons are all energy based, there is no way to exhaust their ammo. Some of the overpowered ships have descriptions stating they have limited staying power on the field, but they win in every race to overload their flux capacity.

I feel the faction needs some sort of weakness that can be exploited. Perhaps CR limits on a number of them? Though, I am not a big fan of CR limits. Or switch some of their weapons to ammo based.

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 21, 2013, 02:57:35 AM »

Are these ships meant to be balanced vs vanilla? They are arguably overpowered if so. The cruisers have the hull strengths of capital ships and the capitals are ridiculously strong. That, and since their weapons are all energy based, there is no way to exhaust their ammo. Some of the overpowered ships have descriptions stating they have limited staying power on the field, but they win in every race to overload their flux capacity.

I feel the faction needs some sort of weakness that can be exploited. Perhaps CR limits on a number of them? Though, I am not a big fan of CR limits. Or switch some of their weapons to ammo based.

I second this. The rattlesnake seems to beat even the largest of capital ships

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 21, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »

lol, some peopled used to say the nomads were UP XD

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 21, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »

That was before he introduced his triple electron and the rattlesnake cruiser, still, they are not as overpowered as the zorg, which in turn is not as overpowered as ORI. ::)

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 21, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »

Atleast the zorg have a weakness, a pretty big one too. No shields makes full HE fleets a good counter

IronBorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »

I'd say the major "weakness" they have is that although their flux capacity is massive, their flux venting capability is not as impressive.  In a battle between vanilla ships and Nomads, you can't win in a race to overload their flux.  You have to survive until they vent, then you destroy them in the ample time they're helpless.  A Paragon with maximum vents and Fortress Shield is what it generally takes to absorb the fire of one of the Nomad cruisers or capitals without any serious damage.

But doesn't listing the most powerful ship in vanilla as their only counter kinda demonstrate that they are overpowered (and they are faster, able to outrun the few other ships that can hold up long enough to force a vent)? Their armor/hulls are so tough that it takes three vent cycles to even reach the hull. By then you've lost half a dozen or more ships. And they usually back off when they are near maxed flux. But at that point my ships are too, or are overloaded and missing half their armor/hull with all front guns disabled.

I've been trying the big missions of vanilla vs nomad fleets. I could probably win if I refit all ships like I want, but I've been trying to win playing it straight. I can survive until the Nomads unleash their cruisers and capitols, then they sweep the map and there isn't much I can do about it. A fun challenge, but I doubt it is winnable.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 22, 2013, 03:54:48 AM »

Perhaps modders should start rebalancing their mods toward vanilla factions more. This also goes for the Zorg whom, I will admit, have been created and balanced with many other modded factions in mind. Which is normally not how I balance my work. But since it plays a large part in Exerelin gameplay, I felt I had little choice. Of course, this is a discussion that deserves a thread of its own.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 22, 2013, 06:00:08 AM »

I thought balancing towards vanilla was the whole point of "vanilla balance" ??? if another modded faction crushes yours, thats not your fault. i feel we should indeed make a thread about it or a sticky.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 22, 2013, 06:02:34 AM »

I thought I had a trademark on all this ***BALANCE*** bitching!

;D

I fell like nomads fit into a nice niche given how hard they are to acquire and stuff. Definitely powerful.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42