Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Nomads, v1.4.11-rc2  (Read 368836 times)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: The Nomads (Mod-in-progress, for 0.34a)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »

Yeah, real life has been intervening with my game-time lately, but I still have all my mods on my HD here, I'll update everything to the latest ver soon

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Nomads (Mod-in-progress, for 0.34a)
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 04:58:10 PM »

seems like a nice mod...traveling with your city and defending it...breaking off for a bit for supplies and building materials...id play this :)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: The Nomads (Campaign Mod)
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 10:23:36 PM »

Updated for 0.5 (spawns in the sun)

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »

Includes a new faction (spawning in the Corvus sector) with four ships and two custom weapons. Faction is hostile to the Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon. This mod is compatible with all other campaign mods; it non-destructively extends the SectorGen class, and adds the new faction spawns to the existing Corvus sector. Feel free to examine the scripts directory yourself for an example of how to do this.

Just wanted to note that the current issue with sectorgen for most mods isn't the spawn point - it's creating stations. To create a station around a planet, you need to get a planet - which you'd normally do with getEntityByName. And getEntityByName doesn't work inside gen files currently. Will next version, though.

I'm thinking of doing my next version of TT station using a gen file to create the spawn point and the spawn point to create the station as a temporary workaround though, since so many people are making mods and folks want to be able to combine them.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

Ah, that makes sense Paul. Thanks for the clarification.

CaptainCato

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »

This is a pretty cool mod I guess, I never had interactions with the Nomads, never found a (nomad)ship to buy, so I can't say much about it...
Also, is it supposed to have missions? I have no other than vanilla missions..

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »

When I start a new campaign, they spawn in the center of the sun

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

Abit of feedback:

The ships are very neat but on their own they suffer alot but as a combined arms fleet their amazing, watched them destroy my fleet of 4 destroyers by slowly pelting them to death with their efficient blasters as i struggled to counter and destroy them. They need a carrier and i love their whole idea--would love to play their faction in a campaign.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: The Nomads (0.3)
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »

Updated with next ship, to give an idea of its scale. I've got a solid idea for its role in the fleet, and the sprite is coming along nicely. I'd say the art is 33% done, conservatively.

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »

Whoah! I think I need more torps...

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »

That is one big sucker... This will be fun!

It's worth noting that your mod was the first one I ever played, and the primary inspiration for my own. Keep up the good work!

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »

Updated for v0.4

Spartan114

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Nomads (0.4)
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »

Damn, like the design for the Oasis.

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »

I feel like these ships lack an effective point defense - Sure, the light lasers are classed as point defense, but they seem to do very poorly at it - Even with elite crews, it seems they fail miserably at point defense. I wonder if its a function of perfect accuracy weapons just being completely unable to aim properly at missiles? Flak avoids this issue by exploding iirc..

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »

It's true, and it's part of the mythos of the faction.

Have you ever read Dune? Sometimes I feel like I'm channeling Space-Fremen fighting the Empire when I envision the battles between Nomad ships and vanilla Starfarer ships.

If you want to block incoming missiles and fighters and such, you need to shut down your weapon systems and rely on directional shields. Dance away, regroup, and come in for a strafing run with no shields - take it all on armor, moving into and then away, always moving.

An interesting tactic is the drift; Vent flux, achieve maximum speed, and aim for a course that will near-collide you with a target. Let go of all thrust related controls at this point and slide at top-speed past your target, using all flux for weapons. It's an aggressive and dangerous tactic, but it pours the maximum amount of pain on a single target.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42