Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Terraforming [Beta] 0.0.2v  (Read 20676 times)

Mayan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Terraforming [Beta] 0.0.2v
« on: August 19, 2019, 04:40:41 AM »

Terraforming

Simple mod that give some light structure to modify your colony hazard.

Features:
Spoiler

Beta 0.0.2V (Removable meaning can be remove, and should be removed automatically. If its not mention, do not remove the structure after complete)

Beta 0.0.1V

[close]

Downloads:

Notes:
* This mod is just starting, and you are welcome to write what changes you will like to see
* Next change going to make the structure away more expensive and require blueprint / special event to build them
* In the future, terminating planet will be more difficult. To keep the challenge of colonized
* Reporting bugs is a great help. In case of crash, please mind to copy the error log from the 'starsector.log' file
* I am aware there is allot of engRish, i will fix it next version   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:44:18 PM by Mayan »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming [Beta] 0.0.1v
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 07:25:10 AM »

First off, I love this idea!  Second off, don't worry about "balance"; think of this as a way to test out mechanics that Alex might well want to put into the game.

Things I'd like to see:

Atmospheric Processors:  Temporary.  Huge machines convert no-atmosphere / bad atmosphere (Toxic, Polluted, Radiated) to a neutral state.  Should take 1 year and 5 million Credits to build.

Soil Creation:  Temporary.  Nanotech devices gradually build a layer of viable top-soil, allowing a planet to be farmed.  Improves farming by +1 or sets to 0 if less than 0.  Requires a planet with a breathable atmosphere, 1 year and 5 million Credits.

Planetary Intelligence Agency:  Permanent.  Eliminates Path incursions and greatly improves resistance vs. Pirate raids.  3 months, 1 million Credits to set up, costs 25K+ thereafter (whatever's roughly balanced for a Size 5 Colony, essentially- by Size 7, it shouldn't be a big cost).

Gravity Control:  Permanent.  Installs grav devices throughout the Colony, removing the penalties from Gravity.  6 months, 5 million Credits, but 10K (i.e., cheap) to maintain thereafter, as it uses up an Industry slot.

Tectonic Stabilization:  Temporary.  Using hypervelocity kinetic strikes, the tectonic plates of the planet are carefully shattered in a controlled way, greatly reducing earthquakes and other problems.  Removes "unstable" penalties.  1 Million Credits, 2 months to build.  (should be pretty cheap, this isn't terribly common).

Biocide:  Temporary.  Masers and massive sunlight reflectors are used to burn away harmful flora and fauna, along with the use of nanotech biocides, to make the planet 100% compatible with human-friendly lifeforms.  Removes "biohazard" penalty.  2 million Credits, 3 months.

Oort Cloud Bombardment:  Temporary.  Drones are sent to the Oort Cloud to collect water ice chunks and drop them on the planet, greatly improving the amount of surface water on the planet.  5 million Credits, 6 months.  Removes "arid" penalty, or if the planet is normal / Terran, can convert to a Water World!

Manufacturing Ring:  Permanent.  Builds a ring of manufacturing facilities orbiting the planet, greatly improving Accessibility and production.  All Industries get +2 production and Accessibility is improved by +2 as well.  10 million Credits and 1 year; costs 100K+ (whatever feels reasonably balanced for Size 7 Colonies; this is an end-game item).

Hyperspace Detectors:  Permanent.  Builds sophisticated new Hyperspace detectors, greatly improving the sensor reach of fleets in this System.  Basically, a planet-based way to build the same sensors usually installed in space.  500K to build, 15K to maintain.

AI Farm:  Permanent.  Uses "tamed" Remnant tech to gradually replicate AIs left in this planet's inventory, for an endless supply over time.  20 million Credits and 1 year to build, 500K to maintain.  3 months for Gamma cores to replicate, 6 months for Betas, 1 year for Alphas.

Military Construction Yards:  Permanent.  Special high-speed manufacturing facilities are built for purely military use.  Accelerates production of military vessels for local fleets by 100%, reduces D-Mods by 2, increases fleet sizes.  5 million Credits and 6 months to build, 200K to maintain. 

Marine Training Facilities:  Permanent.  Trains Marines and other ground forces in large numbers.  1 million Credits and 3 months to build, 100K to maintain.  Builds 100 Marines / month, plus Armaments / Heavy Armaments.  50K to maintain.

Cloning Center:  Permanent.  Clones and artificial-birthing facilities greatly accelerate population growth.  Gives Colony a constant growth-rate of 2% before any other factors are considered (i.e., additive).  Improves growth, but the clones are harder to integrate into society.  10 Million and 6 months to build, costs 25K and -2 Stability to maintain.

Basically, put in tools so that players can:

A.  Gradually fix up their worlds, at a cost in time and Credits.
B.  Use their Credits to build end-game content.
C.  Prepare for the final form of this game, where we're hoping that the Factions are dynamic and also able to make use of these kinds of things.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 07:47:38 AM »

From a "plausibility" standpoint, I would a building that remains on the platent and eats one of the building slots (and probably resources, like machinery and metals) to keep the effect. That way it will be consentent with Asharu, where  ruining a terraforming colony's income will actually disrupt terraforming.

Also, for consistensy with existing Sector tech, "solar mirrors" would be a better name than "atmosphere warmer" (to redirect light to or away from the planet).

Likewise "re-civilisation patrols" instead of "purge".

For planets with no stars, some alternate more expensive building (Nuclear heat generator arrays) could be used for heat production.

ActuallyUlysses

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:14 AM »

Purge Center icon is very joyful :)

If you have some free time and wish to learn about more plausible ways of terraforming planets, I recommend watching Isaac Arthur's video on terraforming. His "Colonizing Space" series is quite amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoNQNj9ZnU

Anyway, looking forward to adding this mod to my mod list once it get more developed. It looks like a solution to absurd amount of credits that late game players tend to end up with.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:14:49 AM by ActuallyUlysses »

Dwe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »

Was looking for a mod like this to appear for a couple of months now - even thought of creating my own (first) mod, but finally someone did it!

Sharing some of my thoughts about the mechanics:

* Lore friendly: Terraforming structures are already present in the game. They were built pre-collapse but remain functional. Most notably are the stellar shades and stellar mirrors, which don't even take up a building slot of the colony. The description of some planets also hint pre-collapse terraforming efforts, of which some have been completed and some not. Every new terraforming mechanig must be consistent with current in-game lore, meaning it must be VERY HARD to create.

* Limited: Terraforming technology should be limited to a small set of planetary conditions it can change to avoid being game-breaking. You shouldn't be able to create a garden eden out of every barren world on the outer rim of solar systems.

* Physically plausible: This is a sci-fi game but even sci-fi games try to be as consistent with physics as possible.

(Extending this post in a couple of hours when I get home from work - could not find a draft feature)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:07:14 AM by Dwe »

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »

Ooooh, I was hoping someone would make something like this!

As others have mentioned, I think a few buildings should be permanent. Balance wise, being able to convert every vaguely colonizeable planet in the sector to a garden world would very quickly break the game.

Perhaps this mod could interact with a certain quest related red industry you can acquire in vanilla in order to remove the "meteorite impacts" hazard?

First off, I love this idea!  Second off, don't worry about "balance"; think of this as a way to test out mechanics that Alex might well want to put into the game.

Things I'd like to see:

Atmospheric Processors:  Temporary.  Huge machines convert no-atmosphere / bad atmosphere (Toxic, Polluted, Radiated) to a neutral state.  Should take 1 year and 5 million Credits to build.

Soil Creation:  Temporary.  Nanotech devices gradually build a layer of viable top-soil, allowing a planet to be farmed.  Improves farming by +1 or sets to 0 if less than 0.  Requires a planet with a breathable atmosphere, 1 year and 5 million Credits.

Planetary Intelligence Agency:  Permanent.  Eliminates Path incursions and greatly improves resistance vs. Pirate raids.  3 months, 1 million Credits to set up, costs 25K+ thereafter (whatever's roughly balanced for a Size 5 Colony, essentially- by Size 7, it shouldn't be a big cost).

Gravity Control:  Permanent.  Installs grav devices throughout the Colony, removing the penalties from Gravity.  6 months, 5 million Credits, but 10K (i.e., cheap) to maintain thereafter, as it uses up an Industry slot.

Tectonic Stabilization:  Temporary.  Using hypervelocity kinetic strikes, the tectonic plates of the planet are carefully shattered in a controlled way, greatly reducing earthquakes and other problems.  Removes "unstable" penalties.  1 Million Credits, 2 months to build.  (should be pretty cheap, this isn't terribly common).

Biocide:  Temporary.  Masers and massive sunlight reflectors are used to burn away harmful flora and fauna, along with the use of nanotech biocides, to make the planet 100% compatible with human-friendly lifeforms.  Removes "biohazard" penalty.  2 million Credits, 3 months.

Oort Cloud Bombardment:  Temporary.  Drones are sent to the Oort Cloud to collect water ice chunks and drop them on the planet, greatly improving the amount of surface water on the planet.  5 million Credits, 6 months.  Removes "arid" penalty, or if the planet is normal / Terran, can convert to a Water World!

Manufacturing Ring:  Permanent.  Builds a ring of manufacturing facilities orbiting the planet, greatly improving Accessibility and production.  All Industries get +2 production and Accessibility is improved by +2 as well.  10 million Credits and 1 year; costs 100K+ (whatever feels reasonably balanced for Size 7 Colonies; this is an end-game item).

Hyperspace Detectors:  Permanent.  Builds sophisticated new Hyperspace detectors, greatly improving the sensor reach of fleets in this System.  Basically, a planet-based way to build the same sensors usually installed in space.  500K to build, 15K to maintain.

AI Farm:  Permanent.  Uses "tamed" Remnant tech to gradually replicate AIs left in this planet's inventory, for an endless supply over time.  20 million Credits and 1 year to build, 500K to maintain.  3 months for Gamma cores to replicate, 6 months for Betas, 1 year for Alphas.

Military Construction Yards:  Permanent.  Special high-speed manufacturing facilities are built for purely military use.  Accelerates production of military vessels for local fleets by 100%, reduces D-Mods by 2, increases fleet sizes.  5 million Credits and 6 months to build, 200K to maintain. 

Marine Training Facilities:  Permanent.  Trains Marines and other ground forces in large numbers.  1 million Credits and 3 months to build, 100K to maintain.  Builds 100 Marines / month, plus Armaments / Heavy Armaments.  50K to maintain.

Cloning Center:  Permanent.  Clones and artificial-birthing facilities greatly accelerate population growth.  Gives Colony a constant growth-rate of 2% before any other factors are considered (i.e., additive).  Improves growth, but the clones are harder to integrate into society.  10 Million and 6 months to build, costs 25K and -2 Stability to maintain.

Basically, put in tools so that players can:

A.  Gradually fix up their worlds, at a cost in time and Credits.
B.  Use their Credits to build end-game content.
C.  Prepare for the final form of this game, where we're hoping that the Factions are dynamic and also able to make use of these kinds of things.
I'd actually make nearly all of the terraforming structures you suggest here permanent. We all come across those 175% valuable-but-unprofitable planets. Having permanent terraforming would allow us to make use of such worlds (and potentially make them very good) without breaking the game by allowing players to colonize willy nilly.

As a compromise, perhaps have the terraforming structures enter a lower cost "maintenance mode" once the primary change is completed? That way they won't be sucking down credits, but they'll still take a slot.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »

When I'm saying, "temporary" I mean it like the OP; i.e., you build a Thing, it does something, then it removes itself.  Sorry.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 12:44:34 PM »

I think it would be interesting to see AI cores thrown into the mix. I keep coming across crashed terraforming drones in my modded games (this might actually be a modded feature, I really need to vanilla it up some more lol the lines of modded and unmodded don't exists for me anymore.) and I can't help myself from wondering wouldn't it be cool to take something like a core and nanoforge with some supplies and fix the terraforming drone. You could even make its variable based on the resources you add to the drone; an alphacore and a pristine nanoforge would probably let you fix/shape the planet a lot better than a gamma core and a corrupt nanoforge.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »

I have been mulling over something similar for a while and I may have had a couple of useful ideas.

First, with the exception of the decivilized removal building, every "terraformation building" does the same thing: lower the hazard rating. Thus to avoid needless clutter and extra work they can all be abstracted into a single structure rather than a different one for every single condition.

If you want to avoid any balance concern or lore breaking (why would a small new independent colony be able to terraform their planet when older larger ones have been unable to do so?) You could tie the ability to terraform a planet to a usable sporeship, in the same vein of the cryosleeper. With only a handful of these generated in any save, you could keep control on how many worlds could be terraformed. Whether those ships would be movable would be up to you but I would lean toward yes.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »

This is exactly the type of mod i was looking for! Amazing stuff

Are you taking suggestions? This is not about terraforming, so maybe it should go on another mod, but would be nice if you could install special equipment in your industries other than the Sync core and the Nanoforges, stuff like Lobster Eggs to allow Aquaculture planets to produce that super special Lobster, or certain type of forbidden seeds to allow farms to make Happy Pills
Check out my ships

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »

Great idea!

I'd personally like a lore friendly terraforming mod with the feature set of:

• Ability to remove decivilized
  • Build solar shades to remove the "hot" condition
  • Build mirrors to remove the "cold" condition

That would be in keeping with in-game established lore, and not require permanent buildings to support it (of if you do keep them around, have them be structures that don't consume spots have and a low up-keep).

While terraforming other problems away like techtonics or gravity might be nice, they aren't really in keeping with lore and would create some balance issues. 

As far as costs go, I feel like the one-time upfront cost should be pretty high and require, if possible, a lot of materials.  Which would explain why other factions aren't building them and to demonstrate that only a truly powerful space empire could do it.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »

Hoping this mod turns out well. When it comes to advice I'm thinking to have the terraforming act like tech mining with the rate of completion proportional to colony size and when it reaches the last stage the player can simply disassemble it with the maintenance and such of the solar shade/etc just being abstracted out. Have all the terraforming options be very expensive in maintenance and commodity cost with progress completely stalled if any kind of shortage appears. Considering the lore of the game there should be a quest for each non basic terraforming option in order to be able to create a makeshift solar mirror/etc with some conditions simply being unchangeable.

High gravity, low gravity, tectonic activity, extreme tectonic activity, and irradiated strike me as conditions that could never be significantly migitated in lore.

Regarding extreme weather and inimical biosphere I am honestly unsure if a means to remove those conditions would be sensible in lore even after finding some lost tech. The inimical biosphere would likely require killing everything on the planet and extreme weather has many possible causes so I can't think of a "one size fits all" solution for that.

decivilized sub population, pollution, water covered surface, and meteor impacts seem like options that the player could reasonably just be given at start since dealing with them would mostly be a matter of brute force rather then lost tech. The difficulty of decivilized should scale to the level of the ruins on the planet and forcing integration should basically be treated like waging a war when dealing with a large sub population and that should be factored into the risks. I could see the difficulty of dealing with pollution scaling with the size of the planets ruins. As for meteor impacts, considering that its a +50% hazard increase dealing with it should just replace it with a new +25% hazard "lessened meteor impacts" condition.

No atmosphere, thin atmosphere, cold, extreme cold, hot, extreme heat, darkness, poor light, and no farmland condition would be conditions that need a quest to get the necessary lost tech and would only be able to mitigate half of the more extreme conditions. So it would go like this...

no atmosphere --> thin atmosphere OR thin atmosphere --> regular atmosphere via a atmosphere creation facility.

extreme cold --> cold OR cold --> regular temperature via a stellar mirror facility.

extreme heat --> hot OR hot --> regular temperature via a stellar shade facility.

dense atmosphere --> new +25% hazard condition "lessened dense atmosphere" AND toxic atmosphere --> new +25% hazard condition "lessened toxic atmosphere" via a atmosphere expulsion facility.

darkness --> poor light OR poor light --> regular light via a orbital illumination facility.

no farmland condition --> poor farmland via a life seeding facility but said facility could only be built if the planet is viable for life which would roughly translate to having the habitable modifier.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:05:31 PM by Spess Mahren »

Mayan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »

Things I'd like to see:

You have good ideas for new structures, Also i would love to spend my credit on end-game as well

Purge Center icon is very joyful :)

If you have some free time and wish to learn about more plausible ways of terraforming planets, I recommend watching Isaac Arthur's video on terraforming. His "Colonizing Space" series is quite amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoNQNj9ZnU
Thank you, the video fascinating !, i am already half in

I have been mulling over something similar for a while and I may have had a couple of useful ideas.
That right, and i also want to add blue-print from the domain-era as your pass to build those (in the future)
Also i think its fair to have some difficult penalties that will always stay

This is exactly the type of mod i was looking for! Amazing stuff
I happy you like it ! yes i do, even so this mod is about lower hazard, and less about production, but maybe we will see such things. feel free to add more

Great idea!

I'd personally like a lore friendly terraforming mod with the feature set of:
I agree, Its impotent for me as well to make it a lore-friendly as possible

I am in busy times, but i hope to release new version in the next week
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:26:03 PM by Mayan »

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 07:24:20 PM »

Well, I do think such kind of function should be taken carefully because of balance and game experience.

Terraforming means a lot. It could change the game life. Making a player more powerful is not good for the game experience I think.

But It will be okay if balancing the price and the reward correctly. Like making this as an end-game target.
My mods

Keld_Rhygar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 11:16:10 PM »

Cool mod, looking foward to more features.

I've sent you a private message, please let me know if you haven't received it, as it's not showing up in my "sent messages".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:12:51 AM by Keld_Rhygar »
Pages: [1] 2 3