Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Terraforming [Beta] 0.0.2v  (Read 20678 times)

Transuni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming [Beta] 0.0.2v
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 06:04:35 AM »

wowwwww! awesome, i cant wait to play it

Hague

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 10:08:54 AM »

I'm of the mind that these modifiers should apply slowly over time. Perhaps a series of self-upgrading buildings that replace modifiers over time. So instead of completely negating the Hot modifier it gives a reduced hazard rating that improves over time as the building upgrades itself over time.

I'm also of the mind that planets should have orbital and surface slots that limit how much stuff you can reasonably have in orbit. In the same way a space station gets added to a planet's orbit, solar shades and mirrors should be visible in-orbit. Orbital and terrestrial industries could be differentiated by orbital facilities having immunity to terrestrial hazards like weather, biome, and gravity. Imagine, finding an orbital gas mining platform that can only mine organics and volatiles

As a side note, I believe new products should be added to the marketplace to reflect the idea of active terraforming: Terraforming Liquids and Gases that would be specifically mined from ice and gas giants.

Terraforming should take a very long time and happen gradually, in my opinion. There should be high tech and low tech versions. High tech should be more efficient and effective but walled behind discovery of blueprints while some low-tech versions should be available but very expensive and only achieve results very very slowly.

Sapfearon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »

I'm of the mind that these modifiers should apply slowly over time. Perhaps a series of self-upgrading buildings that replace modifiers over time. So instead of completely negating the Hot modifier it gives a reduced hazard rating that improves over time as the building upgrades itself over time.

I'm also of the mind that planets should have orbital and surface slots that limit how much stuff you can reasonably have in orbit. In the same way a space station gets added to a planet's orbit, solar shades and mirrors should be visible in-orbit. Orbital and terrestrial industries could be differentiated by orbital facilities having immunity to terrestrial hazards like weather, biome, and gravity. Imagine, finding an orbital gas mining platform that can only mine organics and volatiles

As a side note, I believe new products should be added to the marketplace to reflect the idea of active terraforming: Terraforming Liquids and Gases that would be specifically mined from ice and gas giants.

Terraforming should take a very long time and happen gradually, in my opinion. There should be high tech and low tech versions. High tech should be more efficient and effective but walled behind discovery of blueprints while some low-tech versions should be available but very expensive and only achieve results very very slowly.

solar shades and mirrors are visible tho. After you build them you get 3 shades near you planet :)

Longsword01

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2019, 01:17:15 AM »

Just a small note, the descriptions of the Orbital Shade and Orbital Mirror are backwards.  The mirror describes what the shade does and the shade describes the mirror.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2019, 05:03:27 AM »

I'd love it if you could split off Purge and have it happen automatically (and for free) once you hit maximum colony size (since they're all civilised now).

Hague

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2019, 02:38:32 PM »

Like I mentioned before, I believe the processes these buildings go through should be gradual. You could make each have 4 extra self-upgrading tiers. The upgrades happen after each other and instead of completely negating a penalty, they give a habitability bonus of +5% per tier (with 5% at the starting tier) until they complete their last upgrade which would either remove the effect completely or give a habitability trait that negates the effect of the base trait. By adding this granularity to the terraforming system the projects could be very long term but with immediate partial results to give the player some benefit in the meantime.

I would suspect that terraforming actions would attract the attention of the Luddic Path so having long project times would give them the opportunity to sabotage them or send raiding fleets.

MeatVegetable

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »

Like I mentioned before, I believe the processes these buildings go through should be gradual. You could make each have 4 extra self-upgrading tiers. The upgrades happen after each other and instead of completely negating a penalty, they give a habitability bonus of +5% per tier (with 5% at the starting tier) until they complete their last upgrade which would either remove the effect completely or give a habitability trait that negates the effect of the base trait. By adding this granularity to the terraforming system the projects could be very long term but with immediate partial results to give the player some benefit in the meantime.

I would suspect that terraforming actions would attract the attention of the Luddic Path so having long project times would give them the opportunity to sabotage them or send raiding fleets.
I agree with this sentiment here, making these take a long time, then have their pay off, but attracting attention would make it so the player had to think on their toes or something like that. But unfortunately that requires a ton of work from the modder, I think.

I was actually going to learn how to mod just to make something similar to this but since it exists I don't really need to, unless you want help... I'd just have to learn how to mod in general and what to even do, I know the basics of coding but I've never done modding.

DifficultyTweak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »

Hey, this is probably unwanted, but I cleaned up your industries.csv file and made the descriptions a lot better to read. I also changed out the image for the Thin Atmosphere structure with the Air Exchange from the Half-Life 2 beta, which should be fine since this mod would likely fall under "fan art" as according to the Steam Subscriber Agreement. Put the airexchange.png file in \graphics\icons\industry or the game might *** itself, I dunno.

Good luck on the mod though, dude.

[attachment deleted by admin]

blueberry

• Ensign
  • Imagine not using the biggest ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2019, 04:54:36 PM »

hey can you add a mirror for the download, i can't seem to even reach the site to download it or does anyone have the files?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:52:47 PM by bluberrymoose »
i need more carriers.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2019, 06:59:36 AM »

A small quibble:
Atmosphere Warmer and Cloud Generator both work on worlds with no atmosphere.

EDIT: Also it'd be nice if Orbital Mirrors got rid of Poor Light too.

SYDWAD

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 03:18:31 AM »

I very much +1 this mod

I would like to see in this (or preferably a separate mod to companion this) super expensive and ludicrous upgrades to existing industries like:
Farming: Vertical Farming
Waystation: Orbital Hub
Star Fortress: Orbital Plate (Warhammer)
Orbital Works:  Ring of Iron (Also Warhammer, and would grant a tremendous buff to defense as well, would appear as a solid wall across the defender's side of the battlemap)
Heavy Batteries: Orbital Cannon (would make any orbital bombardment half as effective as long as its not disrupted)
Megaport: Space Elevator (only buildable on planets without High Gravity stat)

And some sort of upgrade or two to refineries and mining. For mining maybe "Quarries" then "Strip Mining" that says "in thousands of years might turn the planet to dust" but doesn't actually do anything like that.

I would also like there to be a bigger downside to saturation bombardment, make it to it will remove any farm land on the planet and maybe have a chance to add "irradiated" or "pollution" to the planet.

ASSIMKO

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming [Beta] 0.0.1v
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »

First off, I love this idea!  Second off, don't worry about "balance"; think of this as a way to test out mechanics that Alex might well want to put into the game.

Things I'd like to see:

Atmospheric Processors:  Temporary.  Huge machines convert no-atmosphere / bad atmosphere (Toxic, Polluted, Radiated) to a neutral state.  Should take 1 year and 5 million Credits to build.

Soil Creation:  Temporary.  Nanotech devices gradually build a layer of viable top-soil, allowing a planet to be farmed.  Improves farming by +1 or sets to 0 if less than 0.  Requires a planet with a breathable atmosphere, 1 year and 5 million Credits.

Planetary Intelligence Agency:  Permanent.  Eliminates Path incursions and greatly improves resistance vs. Pirate raids.  3 months, 1 million Credits to set up, costs 25K+ thereafter (whatever's roughly balanced for a Size 5 Colony, essentially- by Size 7, it shouldn't be a big cost).

Gravity Control:  Permanent.  Installs grav devices throughout the Colony, removing the penalties from Gravity.  6 months, 5 million Credits, but 10K (i.e., cheap) to maintain thereafter, as it uses up an Industry slot.

Tectonic Stabilization:  Temporary.  Using hypervelocity kinetic strikes, the tectonic plates of the planet are carefully shattered in a controlled way, greatly reducing earthquakes and other problems.  Removes "unstable" penalties.  1 Million Credits, 2 months to build.  (should be pretty cheap, this isn't terribly common).

Biocide:  Temporary.  Masers and massive sunlight reflectors are used to burn away harmful flora and fauna, along with the use of nanotech biocides, to make the planet 100% compatible with human-friendly lifeforms.  Removes "biohazard" penalty.  2 million Credits, 3 months.

Oort Cloud Bombardment:  Temporary.  Drones are sent to the Oort Cloud to collect water ice chunks and drop them on the planet, greatly improving the amount of surface water on the planet.  5 million Credits, 6 months.  Removes "arid" penalty, or if the planet is normal / Terran, can convert to a Water World!

Manufacturing Ring:  Permanent.  Builds a ring of manufacturing facilities orbiting the planet, greatly improving Accessibility and production.  All Industries get +2 production and Accessibility is improved by +2 as well.  10 million Credits and 1 year; costs 100K+ (whatever feels reasonably balanced for Size 7 Colonies; this is an end-game item).

Hyperspace Detectors:  Permanent.  Builds sophisticated new Hyperspace detectors, greatly improving the sensor reach of fleets in this System.  Basically, a planet-based way to build the same sensors usually installed in space.  500K to build, 15K to maintain.

AI Farm:  Permanent.  Uses "tamed" Remnant tech to gradually replicate AIs left in this planet's inventory, for an endless supply over time.  20 million Credits and 1 year to build, 500K to maintain.  3 months for Gamma cores to replicate, 6 months for Betas, 1 year for Alphas.

Military Construction Yards:  Permanent.  Special high-speed manufacturing facilities are built for purely military use.  Accelerates production of military vessels for local fleets by 100%, reduces D-Mods by 2, increases fleet sizes.  5 million Credits and 6 months to build, 200K to maintain. 

Marine Training Facilities:  Permanent.  Trains Marines and other ground forces in large numbers.  1 million Credits and 3 months to build, 100K to maintain.  Builds 100 Marines / month, plus Armaments / Heavy Armaments.  50K to maintain.

Cloning Center:  Permanent.  Clones and artificial-birthing facilities greatly accelerate population growth.  Gives Colony a constant growth-rate of 2% before any other factors are considered (i.e., additive).  Improves growth, but the clones are harder to integrate into society.  10 Million and 6 months to build, costs 25K and -2 Stability to maintain.

Basically, put in tools so that players can:

A.  Gradually fix up their worlds, at a cost in time and Credits.
B.  Use their Credits to build end-game content.
C.  Prepare for the final form of this game, where we're hoping that the Factions are dynamic and also able to make use of these kinds of things.

That above, it would be very good.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2019, 12:56:48 PM »

Question: Do these count as Industries or not?  Meaning do they take up a slot or no?

theville

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2019, 04:56:37 AM »

Does this works with other terraforming mods? or does this mods works with better colonies?

Just asking!
Pages: 1 2 [3]