Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Poor performance in battles  (Read 1459 times)

Warbiatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Poor performance in battles
« on: August 18, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »

So I know people ask this a lot but maybe someone knows out of their head what mod causes this terrible performance.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 3,4GHz
Ram: 16 Gb (I did this thing where you allocate more RAM to the game, did 8GB)
GPU: Nvdia GTX 1060 6GB

Mods:

I tried turning off some options from GrpahicLib but that kinda made it even worse. Before I got around 25 FPS 0% Idle, after disabling it in the options (without unticking it for compatibility) I got like 15-20 FPS 0% Idle.
The lag mostly comes from fighters it seems, though I might be very wrong there.

Thanks in advance.

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Poor performance in battles
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »

You only need 4GB max in Java settings and welcome to most people on AMD cards

Kesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:07:07 PM »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 07:15:29 PM »

There is no way he's running out of VRAM or RAM here.  That's not an AMD chipset, either.

Try:

Setting the option that turns GraphicsLib OFF.
Lowering Battle Size.
Disable Music.
Disable Sound.

Basically:

1.  GraphicsLib still occasionally has shader initialization / other OpenGL issues on certain chipsets / drivers.  Usually not nVidia, but there can be exceptions.
2.  Battle Size governs a lot of things, but it lowers CPU loads considerably.  If that's where you're choking, it'll help.
3.  It's always possible that too much stuff's being submitted to the sound drivers or your hardware isn't handling streamed OGG files well and the game's getting choppy as a result.  It's unlikely, but it could be happening.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Warbiatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 01:27:59 AM »

There is no way he's running out of VRAM or RAM here.  That's not an AMD chipset, either.

Try:

Lowering Battle Size.
Disable Music.
Disable Sound.

Basically:

1.  GraphicsLib still occasionally has shader initialization / other OpenGL issues on certain chipsets / drivers.  Usually not nVidia, but there can be exceptions.
2.  Battle Size governs a lot of things, but it lowers CPU loads considerably.  If that's where you're choking, it'll help.
3.  It's always possible that too much stuff's being submitted to the sound drivers or your hardware isn't handling streamed OGG files well and the game's getting choppy as a result.  It's unlikely, but it could be happening.

I tried all of it, the only difference was made by the battlesize, which makes sense but playing with such a low battlesize is little fun and I feel like my rig should be easily able to handle it.

Vanilla SS at least ran without lags at battlesize 400.
Does anyone have any idea which mod is heavy on the performance side? If at all possible I'd like to remove as few mods as possibles.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 04:03:26 AM »

Try:

Lowering Battle Size.
Disable Music.
Disable Sound.

Basically:

I tried all of it, the only difference was made by the battlesize, which makes sense but playing with such a low battlesize is little fun and I feel like my rig should be easily able to handle it.

Vanilla SS at least ran without lags at battlesize 400.
Does anyone have any idea which mod is heavy on the performance side? If at all possible I'd like to remove as few mods as possibles.
Try to see on the Discord, because you have many mods and on the unofficial discord, some people can point you.
Per exemple for my case, Gladiator Society is very light. Compared to Interstellar Imperium which is a fat mod(but top-tier, so in this case, remove Gladiator for win basically nothing, but this is always better)
After, i have never tried every utility mods than you use  but Starship legend+ Nex + Ruthless sector +well, 99% of utility mods available. They can be heavy. So, better to see on the unofficial Discord, they know maybe the cost (and like there are many people).
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Clibanarius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 06:01:27 AM »

As I have been having the exact same issue, I've been tinkering to see which mod is causing the problem, as I can get nearly 60 FPS during a battle normally, but with NEARLY THE SAME MODLIST AS YOURS I'm getting drops to 24 during heated combat. I've narrowed it down to Audio Plus, SpeedUp, or Unknown Skies. Will have an answer shortly as to which it is.

Clibanarius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 06:07:50 AM »

SpeedUp it is! Seems, anyway! Even without using the activator, it takes a lot of processing power.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »

SpeedUp it is! Seems, anyway! Even without using the activator, it takes a lot of processing power.
Report it to the mod thread of speedup, because the creator will not see it.

Edit:
Answer of DR: Impossible.
SpeedUp literally doesn't do anything unless you're pressing a button.
The entire mod is one simple script.
You have to activate a time multiplier for it to have any effect.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:41:59 AM by Snrasha »
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »

This is with me sitting there with one ship in the simulator, pressing no buttons.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 10:05:42 AM »

So I know people ask this a lot but maybe someone knows out of their head what mod causes this terrible performance.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 3,4GHz
Ram: 16 Gb (I did this thing where you allocate more RAM to the game, did 8GB)
GPU: Nvdia GTX 1060 6GB

Just to be sure, this isn't a laptop right? 

Combat Analytics doesn't use much CPU time, you can look at it's logging after a battle it'll print total and average frame time to the log.

I use about half of those mods on a 7 year old compy without issue, but it does chug a bit when fighting fighter heavy battles.

Warbiatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 10:09:01 AM »

No it's not a laptop.

When I'm home I'll check the log for the frames.
And also Try disabling the Speedup mod.

Warbiatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »

For me its definitely not SpeedUp.

I also tried disabling Unknown Skies and Audio Plus - no change.

Combat Analytics doesn't use much CPU time, you can look at it's logging after a battle it'll print total and average frame time to the log.
Sorry but I can't seem to find the FPS in the log?

Spoiler
I just want to throw a quick thank you in, for trying to help me here.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:25:39 PM by Warbiatch »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 04:09:51 PM »

Your hardware seems capable, so the only thing left is one (or more!) of your mods is a perf hog.  To track down what is causing the issue you have a few options, but none of them good.

1. Start disabling mods and see if you can figure out by elimination which one is the cause.  This probably won't work well because that process will break your testing save.
2. Use a Java profiler to figure it out:  https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/visualvm/profiler.html   If you can figure out which methods and classes in your mods are using the most time, you could consider removing those mods.  But you need to be very technical to get this working.

Maybe others will have ideas that aren't bad :/

Is your fleet fighter heavy by chance?  Lots of fighters firing lots of projectiles (especially missiles) will generate a LOT of work in a short amount of time for the computer.

Warbiatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 02:42:46 AM »

Is your fleet fighter heavy by chance?  Lots of fighters firing lots of projectiles (especially missiles) will generate a LOT of work in a short amount of time for the computer.

Yeah it is, kinda figured it's the main problem.

1. Start disabling mods and see if you can figure out by elimination which one is the cause.  This probably won't work well because that process will break your testing save.

I'll try that when I got time and if i find any particular mod taking a lot of perf I shall share my secrets for future generations to come.