Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Overrated (overpriced) ships  (Read 43073 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Overrated (overpriced) ships
« Reply #270 on: October 01, 2019, 09:50:30 AM »

Aha! I found out how to use Pilums, and Condors for that matter. They need Thunders. The Thunders disable the engines so the enemies cannot dodge, overload their shields so they can't shield tank, and disable the PD so Pilums don't get shot down. It overcomes all of Pilums' weaknesses, and is the most effective way to use Pilums and Condors yet.
So in other words, just use something else to do everything and forget about the pilums.

No, the Pilums would still be bringing the HE and raw damage. I haven't tested the above, but if it does keep the pilums alive that would be quite effective.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »

Ships with good 360 shields would be pretty much immune though.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 01, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »

Thats true, and Thunders don't do that great kinetic damage. I'm theorycrafting as I haven't tried it, but I wonder if mixing in a few broadswords would help? In dedicated carriers of course so the thunders don't lose their speed.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 01, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »

I feel like it would be decent against everything except omens (and maybe apogee and paragon with super good shields might not care). It does feel like a bunch of unshielded fighters might struggle to reach critical mass without dying too much. Another thought is that the engagement range mismatch between thunder and broadsword might be weird, I don't know how the AI handles that sort of thing. I would like to see it tested.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 02, 2019, 05:11:56 AM »

If Thunders could so reliably disable engines, shields and weapons, then they would be completely overpowered for their cost and need to be nerfed as even a little direct damage weapon would just wreck everything.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 05, 2019, 12:18:58 AM »

But then, the Paragon costs 15 more DP, so it should win obviously.

The Onslaughts biggest advantage is not armor/hull, but weapon types.  3 Medium Missiles in particular make for a lot of flux-free damage to bring the effective damage closer compared to the Paragons 4 small missiles that usually aren't even worth equipping.
20 more DP (Onslaught's 40, Paragon's 60) and 4 medium missiles, not 3.
I think that currently the biggest issue with armour-tanking ships is that they don't shield flicker aggressively enough. They often keep shields up, even if only kinetic projectiles are coming in.

They do. If you dont have really powerfull (750+ damage) HE weapons equipped. Shield flicker, armor tanking, vent-in-your-face and so on. But if they see even a single Harpoon... Well...

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 05, 2019, 12:49:37 AM »

Why not both (aside from annoying potshots at insignificant targets)?  Electronic Warfare 1 is probably the most important skill in the game for everyone, mainly to prevent range penalty if the enemy has ECM.  If anything, more EW beyond first level is dubious since the enemy may have ECM as well and, being evenly matched or superior to your fleet, will offset your ECM unless you put ECM Package on multiple ships to ensure range advantage despite two evenly matched (or disadvantage for the player) having EW.

If enemy does not have EW, you have an advantage.  If enemy has EW, and enough ships to match yours, you will probably be more-or-less at zero regardless of ECM maximum, unless you kill their ships, which by that point, the fight is decided and just a matter of time before you win.

Maxed out ECM and fitting for ultralong-range battle brokes the regular fleets. And you need high ECM to break even with the Remnant fleets.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 05, 2019, 11:28:19 AM »

Well thats the annoying thing about ECM against fleets that also have it: taking 1 point it as good as taking 3 (or 4). I'm looking forward to that changing with the skill redesign...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]