Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Deep Hyperspace  (Read 785 times)

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
Deep Hyperspace
« on: August 16, 2019, 11:47:39 PM »

What if instead of slowing your fleet's burn across the board deep hyperspace instead just slowed your turn rate? I think this would lessen the impact of large walls of deep hyperspace that block off constellations and generally slow travel.

It might just result in not steering at all and just flying straight, though, since the point at which you boost off storms is generally with large fleets (which are also slow, and slowed by hyperspace more) that can take the supply cost while you go around when you're a small fleet which is already otherwise fast. More specifically, it might end up punishing small fleets for going around while large fleets just fly straight to their destinations every time without fail (as they're no longer slowed by going through deep hyperspace and already boost off storms while small fleets don't currently care about deep hyperspace but do care about storms).

Just throwing an idea out there.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Hyperspace
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 12:09:42 AM »

If deep hyperspace storms didnt push you off course then there would be no incentive for avoiding them.

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 12:23:07 AM »

Storms would still boost/shove fleets around but non-stormed hyperspace currently slows fleets based on size which I think is part of why we all grow to dislike it: early game it is a non-issue but late-game it becomes better to go around it (at least in feeling, perhaps not mathematically) unless there is a contiguous series of hyperspace storms to surf to your destination. Given storms are entirely RNG, whether this occurs is out of the player's hands and it can actually happen that there is instead a wall of hyperspace storms which have a decent chance to throw you wildly off course rather than the direction you want to actually go.

mangalore

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »

I'd like hyperspace to be more of a weather system of currents/winds, storms and shifting dynamics. As it is it really is just annoying and if I look at the map pretty much random. If you had some sort of currents going which increase your speed through hyperspace and those have a higher risk of storms there is at least some benefit to seek them out. As is they are just an obstacle which has no gameplay value beyond annoying one.

Yes, maybe once in a blue moon a bad storm throws you off and allows a stronger fleet to ambush you, but that is pretty much a forgettable ratio against the other hundreds of times where it simply made it take longer to where fun happens.

Though I guess that would take a lot of overhaul of the AI to make the pathfinding work.

I understand the wish to have "terrain" in hyperspace but really these hyperspace clouds are not the answer. Just increase the supply costs by some factor and it would be pretty much as entertaining.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 10:18:53 AM »

Currently, I E-Burn straight through clouds to avoid everything but the speed bonus from storms.  Slowed travel rate in dark clouds is more annoying than current storms.  Old storms from few versions back paralyzed your fleet while draining CR from all ships like a black hole.  Furthermore, using EB turned off SB first before activating (and paralyzing your fleet in the process), which took about two more seconds, unlike today where it is almost instant.  That was awful and a game reload moment.