Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 597017 times)

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - New Ships and Missions mod for 0.35a
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2012, 03:05:17 AM »

@BeanusMaximus: I use paint.net, gimp and notepad+ (or scite) by and large. It's fairly straightforward once you have figured it out, and redbulls or trylobots ship editors really help with creating new ships.

@SgtAlex86: Walk In The Park? Yeah, that was created and balanced a couple of versions ago, and since then the AI has got cleverer. I'm experimenting with making it a bit easier, or more fun (and retaining the difficulty) at the minute. I'm open to any suggestions, and DukeVonBathrobe has posted a gameplay video on what it looks like to beat it ...
Ah I see :D Gunna have a try (and most likely fail) haha xD If I can at least be able to play with the code etc then I might try and join and mod team/get one together :P
I'd be a hardcore rebel and go solo lol but I can't do graphics do save my life q.q
RAWR (dunno why I did that)

Feel free to follow me on twitter >:D https://twitter.com/#!/TOBeanus

Other than that I have a dream, that dream is to dream of dreaming of dreams.

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2012, 04:20:03 AM »

Another quick question, how do you get the ships to look so... smooth? :L

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2012, 04:36:52 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.msg4333#msg4333

The post above shows, generally, how I create my ships.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.msg551#msg551

This one shows Avan doing some madskillz on the pixel work.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.msg958#msg958

From about here in the thread, Avan starts producing a load of ships, some based entirely on the existing pixel-work already done by David.

Maybe some inspiration amongst that?  :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2012, 05:53:09 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.msg4333#msg4333

The post above shows, generally, how I create my ships.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.msg551#msg551

This one shows Avan doing some madskillz on the pixel work.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.msg958#msg958

From about here in the thread, Avan starts producing a load of ships, some based entirely on the existing pixel-work already done by David.

Maybe some inspiration amongst that?  :)

So you basically draw it in real life then redo it in paint.net/gimp?
Do a video covering your next ship on how you do it lmao xD
Also how long does it take for you to do things like that?

I'd probably be alright doing a basic ship, however making it detailed and make it so the colours blend etc I would suck so bad at :L

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »

I'd probably be alright doing a basic ship, however making it detailed and make it so the colours blend etc I would suck so bad at :L

Yeah, sounds about right.

I don't keep count, but at least 4 hours on the Orca so far, maybe a few more than that for the Dugong, and a few hours each for the smaller ships. It's probably half the work getting it to where the Orca is currently, then an equal time spent pixeling and detailing (something the Orca hasn't had any time on, yet).

If you are concerned about it, start off with a simple fighter, or a small frigate first. You'll find the Starfarer engine makes your ships look good almost whatever you do, and once you see it in the game, that alone might give you the motivation to try something a bit more demanding.  :)

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »

Yeah, sounds about right.

I don't keep count, but at least 4 hours on the Orca so far, maybe a few more than that for the Dugong, and a few hours each for the smaller ships. It's probably half the work getting it to where the Orca is currently, then an equal time spent pixeling and detailing (something the Orca hasn't had any time on, yet).

If you are concerned about it, start off with a simple fighter, or a small frigate first. You'll find the Starfarer engine makes your ships look good almost whatever you do, and once you see it in the game, that alone might give you the motivation to try something a bit more demanding.  :)

Hmmm tempted >:D
I'd say challenge accepted however idleness does tend to overpower me xD

Is gimp better for blending and stuff like that?

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2012, 06:47:17 AM »

got trough the walk in the park with first try at 21%... lost both wings of useless fighters during first rush at flags  :-\ but for some reason this time those wasps got annihilated instead of returning home... did u do something to the loadouts of boxers?  ??? (btw the main guns run out of ammo too fast need MOAR for bigger battles this time t was just few frigates how are u supposed to take down cruisers if u cant carry enough ammo... ^^)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2012, 07:02:43 AM »

got trough the walk in the park with first try at 21%... lost both wings of useless fighters during first rush at flags  :-\ but for some reason this time those wasps got annihilated instead of returning home... did u do something to the loadouts of boxers?  ??? (btw the main guns run out of ammo too fast need MOAR for bigger battles this time t was just few frigates how are u supposed to take down cruisers if u cant carry enough ammo... ^^)

Congrats on the mission success!

I did do something to the boxer loadout indeed. The two chainguns on the front were replaced with a couple of hypervelocity drivers (for long range attacks) and the single, turreted HVel driver was replaced with a dual flak cannon. This flak cannon in conjunction with the two PD weapons on the front CAN cut through a pack of wasps quite easily, if the wasps approach you at the wrong angle and stick around a little bit too much. Also all the varied missiles have been brought together as three packs of 'swarmers', so they are a bit more useable and last throughout the battle against the generally light craft you are fighting.

If you were trying to bring down a cruiser, all you would need to do is swap out one of those swarmers (probably the one looking forwards) with a typhoon (torpedo tube), and then strategically bring her shields down from range with the drivers and throw a torpedo down her throat.

Alternatively just walk next to her and pummel the living hell out of her with those two Scatter PD guns, and hope you are the toughest ...

Problem is that the Boxer is not very good at fighting frigates (which is kind of the point of the mission, I suppose), I think it would have a much better chance against something like a cruiser where the speed and manouvreability difference is not so obvious. Far more of your shots are going to count (less wasted ammo) , you can then take advantage of your high armour and just slug it out with them.

Also the boxer is always likely to have a problem with ammo, because it depends on ballistic and missile weapons heavily. When it comes to something like the campaign, you would be daft to field it in a situation like that demanded by this mission, because of the obvious problems. It needs a bit of support, I suppose, and that's kind one of the design points (if it had everything, it would be no fun)  :)

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2012, 07:12:40 AM »

well i do like the current load out much more actualy instead of screaming at my screen and pounding the armrest of my "command chair" i actually had fun dancing with those frigates... but untill they add the possibility to rearm mid fight, the boxers... need more ammo  :-X (and yes that was the reason i went all necromancer on the other topic...)
almoust feel like cheating and going to modify the files for extra 0s to ammo count  :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:32:45 AM by SgtAlex86 »

DukeVonBathrobe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:09 AM »

That is awesome and I was completely unaware of that effect until now.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »

Time and patience are the best tools, to be honest, whatever program you use  :-\ (although shrinking a large, roughly blended sprite can give you a bit of slack)

Another option would be to crib bits of the original ships, layer them up and move them about to create new ones. Here are a couple I knocked up in the last half hour this way (light freighters for ferrying stuff about):

BeanusMaximus

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »

Time and patience are the best tools, to be honest, whatever program you use  :-\ (although shrinking a large, roughly blended sprite can give you a bit of slack)

Another option would be to crib bits of the original ships, layer them up and move them about to create new ones. Here are a couple I knocked up in the last half hour this way (light freighters for ferrying stuff about):

Ah fair does :D Well I'mma download gimp and give it a try :D They look awesome btw

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:03 AM »

Time and patience are the best tools, to be honest, whatever program you use  :-\ (although shrinking a large, roughly blended sprite can give you a bit of slack)

freighters huh? sounds like someone is prepping for the campaign release where you actually have to move things. XD

Edit:also realized after i posted this post, that this could make for an interesting mission i imagine it would go something like this:
The king ordered these ship parts months ago but we keep getting delayed by hegemony forces! They even had the nerve to blockade this area of space! Take your ship ( boxenstein perhaps?) and punch a hole for the freighters!

Mission briefing:
disable the hegemony blockade
the Freighters must retreat successfully

i figure retreat would be a good type of mission so you have to protect your freighters while they escape the blockade? maybe put the enemies on defensive so they stay more or less together? or at least i imagine they would more than on attacking, also maybe only a few freighters have to escape? like 2/3 must escape for a win. and with only a boxenstein and maybe a few fighters the enemies shouldn't have like something overwhelming like... a conquest or something but enough to put up a good challenge of course. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:35:06 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Kilvanya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »

A single outdated onslaught would do the trick,
maybe with some of those terrifying mining drones  :D

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, sounds like the perfect introductory mission for our new little friend:

THE STOAT! (A-variant and B-variants available)

Please do not bring these into combat unless your life depends on it. They are awful.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48