Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 599385 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - New Ships, Missions, Campaign mod for 0.6.2a
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2014, 05:40:19 AM »

Junk Pirates is well balanced. Please don't ever change that. Indeed, comparing to other mods is risky business. It can end up like an arms race, where mod factions become increasingly more powerful in an effort to balance up against one another.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »

Junk Pirates is well balanced. Please don't ever change that. Indeed, comparing to other mods is risky business. It can end up like an arms race, where mod factions become increasingly more powerful in an effort to balance up against one another.
Which is why mods should, at least in my opinion, always be balanced against vanilla. That isn't to say vanilla's balance is perfect, or even excellent, but it does provide a solid baseline I think. Otherwise you end up with situation like you describe (and which can be observed in World of Tanks :P) Powercreep anyone?

Dibuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 12, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »

Which is why mods should, at least in my opinion, always be balanced against vanilla. That isn't to say vanilla's balance is perfect, or even excellent, but it does provide a solid baseline I think. Otherwise you end up with situation like you describe (and which can be observed in World of Tanks :P) Powercreep anyone?

This. So much this.

Also, I'm happy to see this mod is still being updated!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:49:42 AM by Dibuk »

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 15, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »

Oh man, it's been so long since I played Starfarer Starsector. It's great to hear from you, Mendonca and Eric. So much of this game has changed, but my favorite mod is still Junk Pirates. As others have said, the balance is perfect to vanilla, but also the art style is so incredibly consistent with vanilla ships as well. Don't get me wrong, lots of mods have some great art, but these ships don't feel out of place, nor do they look like glued-together vanilla ships.

My one request is that the newer ships be added to the post in another fleet overview image. I think that would be the Scythe, Splinter, Octopus, Stoats A & B, and the Reaper.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - 0.6.2a - ShaderLib support
« Reply #379 on: September 14, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »

Ok, at last, ShaderLib support (normals and materials on ships only, weapon lighting) for the Junk Pirates.

GET IT WHILE IT'S BROKEN HOT

Also a reasonable amount of work has gone in to sharpening up the quality of some of the sprites - most of them should be better lit, with more detail and less sketchyness.

But other than that, nothing new.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 06, 2014, 07:39:31 AM »

There is... Definitely interesting stuff, hidden inside this update. :D

domovie1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 15, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »

Could someoone explain why I am getting an error screen that says Parsing compilation unit "com.fs.starfarer.loading.super$1@e0f004 ?
Thanks

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »

Could someoone explain why I am getting an error screen that says Parsing compilation unit "com.fs.starfarer.loading.super$1@e0f004 ?
Thanks

Hi there!

I'm sorry, but I haven't had this issue and I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Is there any other information you can give? Have you pinned the fault down to this mod (have you any other mods running?)

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 01, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »

Oh god baby, we need it.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 03, 2014, 05:47:42 AM »

:)

Thanks!

It's fair to say that I will release an updated version at some point. Had a decent run at getting a working version going last night, but there is a lot of detail to think about even after hitting that point. Hopefully in a week, but more likely in a bit longer I think.

Context becomes ever more important with 0.65, something which I have not required to think about too much.

Even considering throwing together all my mods in one package (removes the need for each particular faction having 'dummy' link systems populated by independents etc. just to tie markets together).

Also there is the flavour text to write. And the icons to draw. So many details :)

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 04, 2014, 06:04:18 AM »

Take as much time as you need bro, but uhh, JP is definitely a staple part of my Starfa... *ahemwhatever* experience. They're the bad guys you kinda want to get drunk with.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 04, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »

Even considering throwing together all my mods in one package (removes the need for each particular faction having 'dummy' link systems populated by independents etc. just to tie markets together).

I endorse this idea :)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - 0.65.1a
« Reply #387 on: November 16, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »

JUNK ASP PACK v200

DUMP. Whoah this should work for now. Shaderlib support suspended, but only because I haven't gone through the process of making all of it compatible yet.

- ASP Syndicate added. New System - Ursulo. Contains ASP hub (Paddington - a busy trade port).
- PACK added.
- Canis system subsumed.
- New system - York. Hegemony agricultural powerhouse (Lincoln) and Pack and JP frontier worlds.

All mods have been added together as I find I have less time to maintain them all these days, in theory I should be able to tweak and nurdle all three mods at the same time a little bit easier than doing one at a time. If you are particularly offended by any of these factions, comment out the relevant system generation in JunkGen.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:26:51 AM by mendonca »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 16, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »

Woooh, some of my favorite mods with good balance and vanilla friendly art is back! And you did merge them all into one, it does make it easier to maintain them and is similar to my long term goals :)

I'll try to make some time to play them and give you my thoughts sometime soon Mendonca.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 16, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »

ASP are a definite contender for my favorite faction, first mod I ever downloaded I think :) Really like the art style and the lore!

I think merging them into 1 mod is a good idea. If you wanted, you could setup your own settings file with options to turn on/off the factions i.e:

data/config/mendonce_mod_settings.json:
Code
{
    "enableASP":true, # Boolean
    "enablePACK":true, # Boolean
    "enableJunkPirate":true, # Boolean
}

and then check those settings when running your generator code:
Code
JSONObject settings = Global.getSettings().loadJSON("data/config/mendonce_mod_settings.json");
Boolean enableASP = enableThreading = settings.getBoolean("enableASP");

if(enableASP)
{
    // Do ASP sector gen
}
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48