Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Sudden Performance Issue; Near Unplayable at Times  (Read 900 times)

Mekkakak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sudden Performance Issue; Near Unplayable at Times
« on: August 15, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »

The game was running fine from the start, and after I got into modding, it was still fine for a while, performed just as well. Of course, soon I came upon an issue, occasional stuttering after a few seconds where the game would pause and then keep going. Also, trying to close the game caused some problems. Then I consulted the forum and found the page about dedicating more memory to the game. I did that, changed the Xms and Xmx to 4096, the game ran terribly, I realized I had 4 G of ram and that it didn't equate to 4 gigs of dedicated memory, downscaled it to 2096, it ran better, but after a few minutes the game basically craps itself. The simplest options of opening the menu, moving the camera, pressing any buttons whatsoever is liable to cause my game to freeze for a bit. Takes forever to save, forever to load, forever to close the game. I even went further down to Xms 1596 and it's still bad. What do?

Drivers and Java are up to date, and I have an Intel Pentium N3540. It's a poopy one, but again, it wasn't until I messed around with memory settings that all this cropped up.
It's official. I've made terrible lapses in judgement and got my fleet destroyed 1000 times now. In honor of this achievement I am now naming my band "Wayfarer and the Kite".

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Performance Issue; Near Unplayable at Times
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 06:10:36 PM »

I'd say try vanilla to see if you're having the same issues.

Then, if you're not, maybe try a new save with the same modlist, to see if a fresh save fixes it.

At that point, it'd be down to trying to figure out which mod may be causing the problem. That can be tricky or time-consuming, most likely probably using the process of elimination.

Posting your mod list might help - someone may have an idea of what's going on or there may be known issues with a particular mod.

Mekkakak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »

I've got arsenal expansion, blackrock, diable, Extratential Lanestate Union (Blue), GraphicsLib, Interstellar Imperium, Junk Pirates, LazyLib, Legacy of Akrgneisis, MagicLib, Nexerelin, ORA (I actually forget what that stands for), SCY, SpeedUp, Starship Legends, Sylphon, and Varya Sector.
I may have gone a bit too far in a few places.

I'll definitely try and lighten the load, but if anyone knows a particular issue I may be having, I'd love to know.
It's official. I've made terrible lapses in judgement and got my fleet destroyed 1000 times now. In honor of this achievement I am now naming my band "Wayfarer and the Kite".

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »

I have less mods than you and my Java takes over 3GB of RAM, even if you put it lower, that much mods will bloat up fast.

I'd also remove Nexerelin 1st : game altering mods are the most hungry for memory

Mekkakak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »

Omni is probably right but... I've tasted Nexer. I can't just rehab from Nexer now. However, I did some poking around and decided to remove the mods that required graphicslib, including Glib itself, and the game runs significantly better! So well in fact, I have it up on the background and it's still intact! Sure, it takes some time to load up, but I can actually play now. Darn shame about blackrock though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »

For GraphicsLib, you can disable it via its settings file - there's one in its folder. That way you can have it be enabled in the launcher, for compatibility with mods that require it, but it shouldn't actually *do* anything.

Mekkakak

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:28:41 PM »

You're sure about this? When I opened the ini it says that shaders must be active for compatibility sake.
Well, no time like the present I suppose, I'll test blackrock with neutered graphicslib and tell you if anything explodes.
Get me my prometheus.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 08:54:01 PM »

You're sure about this? When I opened the ini it says that shaders must be active for compatibility sake.

Positive, yeah.

It says "Set to false only if your computer cannot handle ShaderLib but you need it active for compatibility" which on reading again just now I can see how it's confusing but it's talking about the mod being "active" (as in, checked in the game launcher), not this setting.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 12:13:04 AM »

Problem is that if you set mem allocation too high and windows cannot deliver, the game may get issues. And if you don't allocate enough, you get issues too. I would monitor with task manager and start with 2,6ish gig, then try adding more. Your rig should be able to yield that.