Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My kingdom for an Atlas!  (Read 6350 times)

Plan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
My kingdom for an Atlas!
« on: August 15, 2019, 03:45:33 AM »

After having finally had my first go at Starsector that I'd tentatively call successful I've found that my ambitions to become supreme galactic wholesaler are being curbed by a lack of convenient cargo capacity. The one Atlas in my fleet of mostly Colossi (salvaged from a pirate-ravaged Hegemony convoy) upgraded with Augmented Drive Fields and Efficiency Overhaul is my most efficient cargo hauler. I can, however, not for the life of me find anywhere to source more Atlases! I have once seen one for sale by the Hegemony military that sadly demanded a commission, which would have ruined my trading prospects. Yet on black markets across the core worlds I see these damnable Atlas Mk.II "upgrades" cropping up like mushrooms with 200 cargo capacity.

Is there anywhere I've missed where Atlases can be at least semi-reliably found for sale or will I have to settle for shadowing convoys in the hopes of them getting jumped and me snatching the wreck?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: My kingdom for an Atlas!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 04:50:33 AM »

Independent military markets with high stability.

Out in space (you have to suffer some dmods for this).

Or raid a merchantile convoy and hope to RNGJesus that you get a Atlas.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:49:54 AM »

Raid (worlds with heavy industry) for blueprints, then build it yourself.  Ship availability is usually solved by getting blueprints and building the ship, usually because you cannot get Prometheus 2, Legion XIV, and Remnant fighters that way.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 08:11:11 AM »

Raid (worlds with heavy industry) for blueprints, then build it yourself.  Ship availability is usually solved by getting blueprints and building the ship, usually because you cannot get Prometheus 2, Legion XIV, and Remnant fighters that way.
You could do this, but its kinda mid-late, early-late game because to build it yourself you need an orbital works + nanoforge (which attract massive expeditions you might not want to fight), and other assorted issues (like needing an income source since preferably you will have a Military Base / High Command on your Orbital Works planet to protect it and the sector its in from raids, which requires another colony to pay for your imports / exports).

Plan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »

Independent military markets with high stability.

A few months lazily orbiting Baetis has graced me with an Atlas! Thanks for the advice :)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:40:51 AM »

But, it does bring the point to light that the converted Altas is much more available than vanilla Atlas

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 06:58:13 AM »

@ Agile:  Sure, it is mid-to-late game to get Heavy Industry and the necessary defenses up.  However, it is a surefire way to get Atlas if the game spites the player and not offer one all game.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 09:30:44 AM »

Also you can get the Underworld mod which gives the Pirates a battlewagon (which is basically a *** capital), but its better than a Atlas both in combat and in storage capacity, and only a bit more in price (550K on black market, around 300k for a Atlas).

Its great if you do a lot of combat and/or don't have a colony yet since your building your fleet.