Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Vayra's Sector 3.2.1 - D&DSECTOR 2021-03-25  (Read 582523 times)

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Vayra's Sector 3.2.1 - D&DSECTOR 2021-03-25
« Reply #450 on: September 15, 2021, 09:18:20 PM »

1. I won't reply again, as this is derailing from the mod itself.
2. Isn't it just plain rude to take over someone's own mod thread to post a unofficial update, even if sanctioned? 
1. You don't mind derailing the thread to add your opinion originally and to have the last word though.

2. No, because the mod is dead in the water and no plans have been made to change that, people want to play this mod and now they can, it's a win for everyone.

Kadatherion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 17, 2021, 07:59:50 AM »

So, first and foremost: thanks a ton for the bootleg, I could finally give the mod a try and I'm having a blast.

I've been playing long enough to confirm all major features seem to be working fine: bounties (those added by other faction mods as well, and yep, no issues with the IBB bounties from the ship/weapon pack either), the new colonial factions settling new planets after a few cycles, etc, no troubles whatsoever that I could spot, which makes me super happy.

I just now encountered a very minor issue though, that I guess might have been there well before the bootleg, but I can't seem to find anything about the whole feature mentioned here: the dungeons & dragons bar minigame. Very simple but a fun change of pace once in a while.
Now, problem is, I've reached max level (20) for a character and thus I retired him: lo and behold, I didn't only get the usual few weapons and blueprints as a reward, but also a 5% bonus to ordnance points to all ships called "arcane secrets of engineering" (mentioned in the intel tab too). However, once I save the game and reload it, while still being mentioned in the intel tab for the retired char, the actual op bonus on the ships is gone. So if I refit the ones I currently have right after retiring the character I can keep the extra points as they'd just be over the max next time I reload, but I won't be able to make further modifications, nor the bonus will apply to new ships I'll get after that.

Did anyone else encounter this bug before? Anyone knows of a workaround or some trick to make the bonus be recognized again after a reload?

As said, it's a super minor thing, and it was also unexpected, so nothing of real importance lost but... you know how it goes, once you get a taste of something sweet, then having it taken away from you stings ;D

EDIT: welp, while investigating the issue and the java files, I noticed the console mod can do the same (add a specific % to OP) AND suffers from the same problem of the effect not being stored into the save. So yeah, I can simply use the console to get the bonus back when I need it, so that's fine. But I guess the thing is worth noting for Vayra to fix it should she ever decide to come back to modding here (or in case anybody else tinkering with the bootleg might want to bother giving it a look).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:20:23 AM by Kadatherion »

Space_Lettuce_OG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 17, 2021, 03:34:15 PM »

Don't post bug reports about the bootleg version please!
This is the reason for the forum rule of not posting bootleg unofficial versions of a mod.

I'm assuming we're all letting that rule slide right now, as long as people don't post bug reports.
The only acceptable bug reports would be from bugs that cause break saves, and to warn people not to use it.

Side/Personal Note: As a mod author for a number of mods for other games, I personally wouldn't mind at all if someone posted a bootleg version of my mod on one of my mod's postings, if I am not actively developing it anymore. Matter a fact, I'd be quite happy about it. Less work for me, and if/when I start working on it again, I got a good starting point. Not everyone's the same, but it'd probably be safe to assume Vayra is fine with the bootleg version, as long as people don't post non-game breaking bug reports on it. Game breaking bug reports are more of a warning not to use it, and not an appeal for Vayra to fix it, so, they're fine.

Kadatherion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 17, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »

This is the reason for the forum rule of not posting bootleg unofficial versions of a mod.

I'm assuming we're all letting that rule slide right now, as long as people don't post bug reports.
The only acceptable bug reports would be from bugs that cause break saves, and to warn people not to use it.

Point is, as I mentioned I'm fairly sure this is a base mod thing, since that minigame shouldn't have needed any update for 0.95 as it is pretty much self contained (nor anything about it was mentioned in the bootleg changelog). Furthermore, the behaviour is the same as the corresponding addordnancepoints console command, again consistent with this likely being a general issue with that kind of modifier being applied via script. Granted, I can't be 100% sure, but it would seem simply logical.

That being said, it was a post confirming the bootleg works in the long run too (not all of them do, which is why people rightly hesitate before installing them for fear of wasting their time), and while there asking to other players that might have encountered that little quirk with the minigame in the past if they had found a workaround, not a bug report specifically adressed to Vayra (although, of course, I mentioned it could be worth checking should work on the mod ever take up again).

I understand it can be a slippery slope, but it's pretty much like discussing gameplay in the larger meaning. Talking about ship balance, as an example, or bounty rewards, would be the very same thing, since the ships added by the mod weren't specifically balanced for 0.95 either. If we couldn't do that just because we are now playing a bootleg, well, we could just as well completely lock the thread until Vayra comes back (if ever), as, virtually, the only people who are now playing the mod and thus might have something to say about it, instead of just posting memes about Vayra being away, are playing it only because of the bootleg.

I mean, one thing is being actively working on your mod, while having bootlegged versions around that keep getting you confusing and wrong reports wasting your time. Another thing is when your thread is so abandoned that people have been doing nothing but complain or joke for the past three months. At least we might start talking about the mod again. Otherwise, what's the point?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:34:03 PM by Kadatherion »

Space_Lettuce_OG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 17, 2021, 10:29:08 PM »

Fair point.

Desire

• Ensign
  • “There is nothing impossible to him who will try.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 18, 2021, 04:27:39 AM »

Point is, as I mentioned I'm fairly sure this is a base mod thing, since that minigame shouldn't have needed any update for 0.95 as it is pretty much self contained (nor anything about it was mentioned in the bootleg changelog). Furthermore, the behaviour is the same as the corresponding addordnancepoints console command, again consistent with this likely being a general issue with that kind of modifier being applied via script. Granted, I can't be 100% sure, but it would seem simply logical.

That being said, it was a post confirming the bootleg works in the long run too (not all of them do, which is why people rightly hesitate before installing them for fear of wasting their time), and while there asking to other players that might have encountered that little quirk with the minigame in the past if they had found a workaround, not a bug report specifically adressed to Vayra (although, of course, I mentioned it could be worth checking should work on the mod ever take up again).

I understand it can be a slippery slope, but it's pretty much like discussing gameplay in the larger meaning. Talking about ship balance, as an example, or bounty rewards, would be the very same thing, since the ships added by the mod weren't specifically balanced for 0.95 either. If we couldn't do that just because we are now playing a bootleg, well, we could just as well completely lock the thread until Vayra comes back (if ever), as, virtually, the only people who are now playing the mod and thus might have something to say about it, instead of just posting memes about Vayra being away, are playing it only because of the bootleg.

I mean, one thing is being actively working on your mod, while having bootlegged versions around that keep getting you confusing and wrong reports wasting your time. Another thing is when your thread is so abandoned that people have been doing nothing but complain or joke for the past three months. At least we might start talking about the mod again. Otherwise, what's the point?

For what its worth, the minigame does seem to work for me and I have found it multiple times and played it, the character sheet also appears in the intel screen.

Kadatherion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2021, 07:03:09 AM »

For what its worth, the minigame does seem to work for me and I have found it multiple times and played it, the character sheet also appears in the intel screen.

Works fine for me too, the only quirk I've had is with that 5% bonus to OP that you get as a reward for retiring a character when he is at max level. The bonus disappears after you reload a save, as it probably (happens with the console too) bonuses to that variable don't get stored in the savefile xml.

Truth be told, I'm also kind of OCD in gaming sometimes, so I actually kind of prefer my normal 250 OP Ristreza (from Tahlan's) rather than the uneven 262 OP she would become with the bonus, which is why in the end I decided to just ignore the D&D "permanent" reward and avoid resorting to the console to get it back each time ::)
In any case retiring a lvl 20 char is very rewarding as it is, as it can net you quite a few blueprints (which can be a very excruciating hunt when you run a lot of faction mods, they become the real prize).

wilki24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »

...I personally wouldn't mind at all if someone posted a bootleg version of my mod on one of my mod's postings, if I am not actively developing it anymore. Matter a fact, I'd be quite happy about it. Less work for me...

I found the programmer! :-)

Seriously, though, these bootleg updates have kept me playing with all the great content they add. In fact, I just ordered a 3070 so I'll have more video memory to add even more (the 970 isn't cutting it anymore...)

So, thank you to the original authors, the people who update on the side, and especially the authors who are cool with it. After all, at the end of the day, this is all just for fun, and what's more fun than more content for our favorite game!

Kadatherion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 26, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »

So, I've found my first ghost ship, and while all the flavour text is very nice and a change of pace, I have to ask (to other more experienced players, since Vayra is away): is there a point in bothering with them instead of just scuttling?

Spoilery details:

Spoiler
I peeked at the files and it seems to me they all have only negative effects/risks, with no upsides. Are there some hidden/possible advantages down the road?

In my case it was a carrier with the plague mod. Meaning it costs me 3-4 crew per day, which is quite a lot, for no apparent tradeoff (except having the ship itself, ofc, but it's not like it's a particularly rare one, so...). It also seems (from the file) the plague can spread and infect markets, which would be an interesting - and potentially rage inducing - feature, but my question stands: what's the point of enduring/risking all these dangers, if there's no chance of also obtaining some kind of rare/unique advantage?
[close]

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 26, 2021, 05:27:19 PM »

So, I've found my first ghost ship, and while all the flavour text is very nice and a change of pace, I have to ask (to other more experienced players, since Vayra is away): is there a point in bothering with them instead of just scuttling?

Spoilery details:

Spoiler
I peeked at the files and it seems to me they all have only negative effects/risks, with no upsides. Are there some hidden/possible advantages down the road?

In my case it was a carrier with the plague mod. Meaning it costs me 3-4 crew per day, which is quite a lot, for no apparent tradeoff (except having the ship itself, ofc, but it's not like it's a particularly rare one, so...). It also seems (from the file) the plague can spread and infect markets, which would be an interesting - and potentially rage inducing - feature, but my question stands: what's the point of enduring/risking all these dangers, if there's no chance of also obtaining some kind of rare/unique advantage?
[close]
well, one major thing happens to be the fact that the ghost ships can be some incredibly rare vessels, and usually fully kitted out/equipped. some of the bad things can be worked against or eventually go away, but others are...well, permafucked.

belone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 29, 2021, 03:11:15 AM »

Every time someone asks for an update in this post, it gets delayed by 1 week.

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2021, 09:03:37 PM »

I've been told the small fleets that hover around planets outside the core systems are from this mod. Can someone spoiler me about the purpose of these guys? Is it just flavor? Right now I'm looking at a small planet with 4 of these fleets, "Howard's Fleet", "Ganymede's Fleet", "Cleveland's Fleet","Rosi's Fleet". Just random names, but they are always hostile? Should I kill them? Is it quest related?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2021, 09:52:14 PM »

I think it's basically just bounties that don't despawn properly. By the lategame the sector becomes littered with them, like every single planet has a fleet or two.

Kadatherion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 01, 2021, 12:39:30 AM »

I've been told the small fleets that hover around planets outside the core systems are from this mod. Can someone spoiler me about the purpose of these guys? Is it just flavor? Right now I'm looking at a small planet with 4 of these fleets, "Howard's Fleet", "Ganymede's Fleet", "Cleveland's Fleet","Rosi's Fleet". Just random names, but they are always hostile? Should I kill them? Is it quest related?

I think it's basically just bounties that don't despawn properly. By the lategame the sector becomes littered with them, like every single planet has a fleet or two.

Yeah, it definitely has something to do with bounty generation/despawn, as sometimes you can even find one that has an exclamation mark, and killing it fullfills an actual *real* bounty currently active somewhere else in the sector. Apart from these cases, though, it seems killing them has no other secondary effect, so go ahead and clean them up. As they usually are very small fleets, they can end up being a little supply/fuel source while exploring with no risks involved, which isn't a bad thing. Them multiplying as you get to the late game though might be, as they could cause slowdowns in the long run. A dozen cycles in, everything is still under control in my sector though, so hopefully they won't be able to become really troublesome unless you play *extremely* long campaigns.

Godvana

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 08, 2021, 01:36:54 AM »

Just posting to let peeps know that theDragn has hopefully fixed this in an update (5th Oct), the download is on page 30

EDIT: Just to add, I believe the only file that has been changed is the VayraSector.jar in the jars folder. If like me you want to preserve custom settings and alterations you can just replace the existing VayraSector.jar with the updated one, looks like its save compatible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 02:00:30 AM by Godvana »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37