Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to modding  (Read 757 times)

Vanjack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New to modding
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »

Hi! I'm working on a personal mod that's mostly aimed to be a graphics overhaul for the game as I love the gameplay but can't stand to look most things including portraits or the player flags. Would it be possible to mod the marines (or maybe even crew) to look different depending on what faction the crew is from? It might have to be in a different stacks if the crew come from different factions but as long as its possible I wouldn't care. Also when I make custom ships, it says my ship data and all the ship files including .variants don't exist when opened with Microsoft Exel, yet I can still open it with the ship editor? I've found a few modding tutorials but I've had to teach myself most of it through just looking at the games files and stitch together what I can't figure out from all the various tutorials. So far I've only been able to get simple graphics like portraits and flags to work.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New to modding
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »

For modding the marines, you'd need to likely create a new marine commodity for every different faction and then somehow get the different marine commodities produced by the vanilla industries. Due to how complex that'd end up being, I'd recommend against trying to do this.

For editing files, stay away from Microsoft Excel if you value your sanity. I'd recommend a text editor like VSCode, or a fully-fledged IDE like IntelliJ IDEA (really old tutorial) if you'd like some extra hand-holding. The .variant, .wpn, etc. files are all JSON files, though Alex uses a custom JSON parser that is extremely permissive of syntax mistakes.