Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Raids make little sense  (Read 15021 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raids make little sense
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2019, 12:00:25 PM »

I really like the idea of expeditions being a way to get factions to recognize you as more than an upstart. IMO expeditions should be very rare (maybe 1 every 5-10 years or more) and they should not scale at all, they should start at max strength. Once you defeat one, expeditions stop and that faction recognizes you as a sovereign nation. That would make them more like boss battles rather than an eternal grind. Pirate raids do fine to fill in the more common less dangerous colony threats. Maybe there could even be a unique super-capital ship for each faction that only shows up in expeditions and is very rare (or impossible) to recover. The game needs more big, one-time, non-symmetric challenges (like the red planet).

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 02:09:02 AM »

I agree with most of this. The entire colony system is completely ridiculous the way it currently is IMO. The only thing I'm a bit iffy on, is the rebellion, seems a little over the top, but something similar would be a good idea none the less.

It's not over the top at all.
Play with fire, get burned. AI is effectively an alien mentality in command of vast resources. There have already been 2 wars over the AI.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2019, 02:15:08 AM »

Hegemony feels the most heroic (or least evil) out of all of the factions.  If anything, they feel like the stuck-up Lawful Stupid paladin stereotype.  More control freak than anything.

To me it feels more like the Imperium from 40K. Controlling (to a point..they only have 1-2 rules and don't care what you do outside of those) and seemingly overly aggressive, but it does so because it HAS to do so, seeing it as the only way to preserve humanity. And you can't really blame them given the state of the sector an other actors - actual dictators (Sindaria), greedy corporates (Tri-Tach), insane fanatics (Path) and regressive religious fundamentalists (Church)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2019, 02:34:10 AM »

Personally i think these pirate raids make a lot of sense and here is why:

they are being paid/supplied to fight a proxy war on behalf of the core world factions

That's what other factions/nations are for. Think Vietnam and such.
Pirates are too poorly equipped and too unreliable to be used as major military assets. Historically, they have been used to harass/attack shipping, not invade enemy strongholds. Even then it caused more problems than it solved, since the second you stopped paying them, they would turn on YOUR shipping.
There's a reason the only piracy today is in 3rd world s***holes and it takes the form of "pay me or I'll damage this expensive ship (which is by far the most valuable thing)". Have you looked at somali pirates? They come in tiny fishing boats armed with a few machinguns and a RPG or two. They prey on undefended, slow ships. They rarely take any cargo - because the parent company will pay to get the ship and it back. And because they'd have to haul it and sell it. Not an easy task. Even less so in space, where every gram counts.
Generally speaking, PIRATES DO NOT KILL OR DESTROY, they ROB. They WANT you to drop some cargo or give some $$$. If they take it all or kill everyone, why would anyone stop and surrender? Real pirates do not want a fight.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2019, 04:04:04 AM »

Now that you are saying that, it is true that the part of "surrender your goods or die" is currently lacking, as it's actually "die and surrender your goods once they're half-pulverised in space".

However the player is still most likely to always take the fight, even then that would be a nice way to deal with convoy raiding, i mean when you hear a cargo ship is full of volatiles your first reaction shouldn't be
"Let's blow it up and hope there is some left after that"
but rather
"Let's hijack it, either the faction wont want to put-up with a shortage and pay or we'll resell it elsewhere to either their enemy or the black market, however they'll probably dislike that even more"

As for the redacted, they're certainly the best suited as a menace for when colonies are established outside of the core worlds, that could be good enough of a reason(coupled with core rivals waiting for opportunities) as to why the main factions do not want to invest large amount of ressources into promising territory so easily.

Lastly, that's good citizen, the Emperor Hegemony is proud of you.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2019, 04:55:26 AM »

Now that you are saying that, it is true that the part of "surrender your goods or die" is currently lacking, as it's actually "die and surrender your goods once they're half-pulverised in space".
Pather fleets often demand tribute, and they act more like pirates than pirates.  Starsector Pirates are the generic Chaotic Evil race.

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2019, 06:33:02 AM »

Pather fleets often demand tribute, and they act more like pirates than pirates.  Starsector Pirates are the generic Chaotic Evil race.
This sums up my thought, I think. Lud-pathers work as tax collectors, and Pirate should be different from them. A CONTRADICTION!

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2019, 02:48:09 AM »

However the player is still most likely to always take the fight, even then that would be a nice way to deal with convoy raiding, i mean when you hear a cargo ship is full of volatiles your first reaction shouldn't be
but rather
"Let's hijack it, either the faction wont want to put-up with a shortage and pay or we'll resell it elsewhere to either their enemy or the black market, however they'll probably dislike that even more"

As for the redacted, they're certainly the best suited as a menace for when colonies are established outside of the core worlds, that could be good enough of a reason(coupled with core rivals waiting for opportunities) as to why the main factions do not want to invest large amount of ressources into promising territory so easily.

Kinda like the Ludds will let you go if you pay?
Yes, that should be a thing. There should be several ways to deal with pirates - fight, give some cargo, pay credits, try to run.
It will help new players that get jumped/ambushed. Plus it makes sense.

And  speaking of "stealing a ship to ransom it later" - why not add that as a mission type? Retrieve a stolen ship.
But it's questionable how that would work without boarding.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2019, 04:16:08 AM »

but rather

Kinda like the Ludds will let you go if you pay?
Yes, that should be a thing. There should be several ways to deal with pirates - fight, give some cargo, pay credits, try to run.
It will help new players that get jumped/ambushed. Plus it makes sense.

And  speaking of "stealing a ship to ransom it later" - why not add that as a mission type? Retrieve a stolen ship.
But it's questionable how that would work without boarding.
Maybe have the ransomed ship mothballed and guaranteed to be recoverable or have it as a pristine derelict with the pirate fleet placed right on top of it in such a way that it is not recoverable without fighting. Oh and of course if you don't deliver the ship once you recover it the faction will send a bounty hunter to kick your arse.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:18:12 AM by Cyber Von Cyberus »
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2019, 04:21:45 AM »

Maybe have the ransomed ship mothballed and guaranteed to be recoverable or have it as a pristine derelict with the pirate fleet placed right on top of it in such a way that it is not recoverable without fighting. Oh and of course if you don't deliver the ship once you recover it the faction will send a bounty hunter to kick your arse.
How are mothballed ships handled on the battle layer? They obviously can't enter battle but they probably aren't allowed to retreat either. You'd basically be able to loot the ship after battle for free, unless it self destructs of course.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 04:33:58 AM »

You are not taking into account the fact that one of the best goods are harvested organs and its highly unlikely that crew will voluntarily surrender them.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2019, 07:57:14 AM »

You are not taking into account the fact that one of the best goods are harvested organs and its highly unlikely that crew will voluntarily surrender them.

All you need is a bit of persuasion, a hammer and a cutter, anyways it's not like i didn't contemplate the cost of a crewman compared to that of a "processed" crewman, when do we get "that" kind of industry?

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »

All you need is a bit of persuasion, a hammer and a cutter, anyways it's not like i didn't contemplate the cost of a crewman compared to that of a "processed" crewman, when do we get "that" kind of industry?

Ehem... We already have "Sunless Skies"...

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2019, 02:46:31 AM »

I still say we should get back boarding...trough the use of boarding torpedoes/shuttles (a weapon? Special ability or a ship? As a special fighter wing?). You'll have to overload the ship or somehow tie up the point defense, or else the boarding craft would be ripped to shreads.

You have to have marines in your fleet and 10-20 are deployed per shuttle/pod. A battle ensues with a dynamic of power bar above the ship. The ship in question would always be heavily damaged if captured, from heavy internal sabotage and the level would vary. Add a new D-mod(s) (damaged internals 1-5).

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »

No thank you. There is no need for the complication and contradictions in boarding mechanics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5