Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 51ppycup's Modded Ships  (Read 20214 times)

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
51ppycup's Modded Ships
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »

Collection of my own custom/modded ships.  Feel free to use these, but please credit me if they end up in a publicly-distributed mod.  Hope you enjoy!

Bonus edit -- video of Redoubt in action: http://youtu.be/pF1P7UaOBe0?hd=1
EXTRA SUPER BONUS EDIT -- The Iowa in action: http://youtu.be/V_A9mEIJZ80?hd=1

Atlas Mk2 (weaponized Atlas hauler, incorporating parts from the Conquest and Astral)

Heavy Cruiser (symmetrical, with WWII-style "dazzle" camo scheme)

Heavy Cruiser (asymmetrical, may need some touching up)

Support Carrier

51ppy Custom (Frigate?) (Hand-drawn, needs a lot of work)

Iowa (Battleship)

Panther (Heavy Cruiser)

Redoubt (Heavy Cruiser)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:42:29 PM by 51ppycup »

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 51ppycup's Modded Midline Ships
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »

I think they would be better in standard white, if they are too dark they camouflage with the background. might use them in my mod

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:16:36 AM »

was just wondering if you had any thoughts?
(I find the trick is careful hue shift, plus careful layer deleting)
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:56:56 AM »

The cruisers look very nice and original--dont agree on the white i think both color schemes look very nice and add character to the ships.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:54 AM »

I'd love to see these ingame.

Any plans for a mod to add them?

I would do it myself but I don't have a clue what to do, where to do it, and who to blame when it goes wrong :P

Also, I just watched your Starfarer Alpha 0.51a Update Highlights, Part 1 video and noticed you missed a couple new features..

You can click on a fleet, station or planet on the map and you will fly there. good if you wanna go to the TT station for instance.

Holding Shift speeds up the game, although not in battle.

When your in the store, you can hold your mouse over the small ship icon in the lower right corner of the window and see what fittings it has, don't need to take a screenshot or count for that matter.. just mix and match the slots and the stores inventory :)

When selling you can just hold Control and click stuff in your inventory and it will automatically sell the whole pile, same goes for buying, no need to click drag and click :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:03:58 AM by Plasmatic »
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:03:23 AM »

can you post also the .ship files?

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:04:46 AM »

was just wondering if you had any thoughts?
(I find the trick is careful hue shift, plus careful layer deleting)

Looks cool, in fact your collection of ships inspired me to make my own.  My only criticism (which, admittedly, is based on personal preference) is that less is usually more.  I tend to favor smooth lines over the "bristling with girders" look.

I'd love to see these ingame.

Any plans for a mod to add them?

I would do it myself but I don't have a clue what to do, where to do it, and who to blame when it goes wrong :P

Also, I just watched your Starfarer Alpha 0.51a Update Highlights, Part 1 video and noticed you missed a couple new features..

You can click on a fleet, station or planet on the map and you will fly there. good if you wanna go to the TT station for instance.

Holding Shift speeds up the game, although not in battle.

When your in the store, you can hold your mouse over the small ship icon in the lower right corner of the window and see what fittings it has, don't need to take a screenshot or count for that matter.. just mix and match the slots and the stores inventory :)

When selling you can just hold Control and click stuff in your inventory and it will automatically sell the whole pile, same goes for buying, no need to click drag and click :)

Thanks for the tips!  If I do another changelist highlight I'll be sure to add these in :)

I hadn't planned on it, but I might at a later point.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:08:21 AM by 51ppycup »

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »

How about some 'Corvette' ships.  Either ranging between a fighter and a frigate, or a frigate and a destroyer.

daggertx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »

This would be sweet

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »

Looks cool, in fact your collection of ships inspired me to make my own.  My only criticism (which, admittedly, is based on personal preference) is that less is usually more.  I tend to favor smooth lines over the "bristling with girders" look.

Honestly it goes either way, really depends on which ship I'm using as the basis of the design. this one is 90% enforcer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Watch me"

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »

an example of cleaner lines

"Watch me"

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:27:09 AM »

I have added your ship as a fire support battleship

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »

Posted this in 51ppycup's tutorial thread and realized it's probably smarter to put it here.

I made the .ship files and the ship_data.csv files for the Panther, 2 types, 1 Energy based and 1 Ballistic based.

Took quite some time to get the bounds right.. since I'm a bit of the perfectionist I did it by hand in the .ship file.. just using the ship editor to get the approximate coordinates, but I can happily say, both sides of the ship are identical as far as bounds go.

The turrets on the other hand, don't seem to be quite mirrored, they are off by 1 pixel sideways. but I matched them to the .png so I blame 51ppycup :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?2z2rr9dq0jjp3k9 both in one mod

And

http://www.mediafire.com/?8zgd239c78m3n7p seperate mods

Also note, this does nothing to add them into the campaign as I do not know how to do that other than hacking a save file. (which is shown in the tutorial video)

Now somebody just needs to show me how to mod these into the campaign so the factions start using them.

Word of Warning, Since I made these I've started getting random crashes with the error Fatal: null. and I can't seem to figure out why. sometimes it crashes while loading, sometimes just after loading, sometimes it doesn't crash at all..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:37:43 PM by Plasmatic »
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »

I comment on your videos pretty frequently, so I figured I might drop by and leave a 'good work'.

Good work.

I like what you've done, I like midline ships a lot as well. Good luck on your hand drawn one-- I tried putting together a hull myself, and I scrapped every attempt because I can't get the.... what's the word-- texture of starfarer's ships right. It bothers me when hand drawn ships stick out from the rest of the ships in the game-- modded ships that aren't a part of a total conversion ought to look like they fit, lore-wise, visually, and with loadout.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »

Yeah I hear you. I just threw mine in anyway, though. I will continue to refine it until I get it down. Or I won't. Either way it is fun to try (despite the failings, kind of like starfarer, haha).

EDIT: helps that no one but me and my brother play my mod, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2