Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem with ships hugging target and getting destroyed when target explode  (Read 1355 times)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile

Like in a topic.
I used to playing a only pirates or full scavenger run and run into a AI problem(it was like that always but finally decide to report it).
My ships (especially unshielded frigates) love to hug enemy they attack(especially bigger one) and get destroyed or damaged when the target is finished and explode.
Its quite annoying and immersion breaking especially that I don't even use reckless or aggressive officers.
So if anything could be done about AI behavior for it to either stop doing that or get some distance when enemy is about to explode(and not at the last second) that would be great.
I would even go for reducing death explosion range and power.
Or even for a turning on/off option in settings. Maybe its even possible now - I would be grateful if someone point me to solution.
Hope this is not to much bother and would be addressed in some way.
Thanks

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm. They do avoid enemy ships that are about to explode, and in my experience do a pretty good job of it - I wonder what we're doing differently that you're experiencing something quite different than what I see on my playthroughs. I mean, I'm not saying it never happens, but it hasn't been a common problem. Are you swarming enemy ships with a large number of frigates, say? Could see something like this happen due to crowding; might be something to look at on my end...

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile

Thanks for answer.
Not really large numbers at best 5-6 Hounds/Cerbrus. Mostly armed with Thumper(some other cheap cannon) and Machine guns.
I think they try to maximize damage done by using all small slots(that is mainly some MG or Vulcans) when enemy is already overwhelmed and get really close. Its especially visible when they try to finish some of the more resistant ones like Enforcer or Venture. Practically never happen with Shrike.
I mean its hardly a problem when player use either more advanced ships or bigger ones but in case of some self imposing rules it can and is annoying. With how fast progression(as you can jump into bigger/more advanced ships after doing few missions) this thing could go unnoticed.
Similar thing happened in older builds with carriers who sometimes decided to go all in and smack somebody with MG(didn't use carriers much right in 0.9.1).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Gotcha, thank you for the added detail - made a note to investigate.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile

I am just asking could it be that one or more of your captains have the Aggressive trait? I heard that with that trait they like to face ram things.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile

No all Steady with Steady doctrine.
I can post some pics later.
Problem is I lose ships regularly(not big surprise with my fleet composition) but not even destroyed in fights - just by explosions. Which is annoying at best and frustrating normally(rage inducing at worst).
Life isn't easy for scavenger privater fleet captain and ships blowing themselves up at the end of hard but won combat is not fun. Not fun at all.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This happens to me with Afflictors. Not every combat, but often enough that it is annoying. I don't want my captains to headbutt exploding ships at all. Even once in X times is too many. I see this as a result of the AI logic that makes ships crowd their targets when they outnumber the enemy or the enemy ship is struggling.

Maybe easing off that logic a bit would help. Because I can't see the advantage in being 100 units or less away from a capital ship that's about to explode when you're in a frigate whose shortest range gun has 600 range.

Watch the end of large engagements. This is where you see it happen the most.

OP, you're probably seeing this so much because you use more unshielded ships.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:15:17 PM by Schwartz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

With the Afflictor in particular - if it happens to have AM Blasters - its' a really delicate line it has to dance between being in range to fire and being too close. In particular if it backs off too much it can mean it absolutely refuses to finish off enemy ships. Basically, the AI has to walk the line here pretty closely as just backing off more conservatively means ships with low-range weapons can't get in killing blows.

Edit: not saying it doesn't need tweaking - it looks like it probably does - just wanted to mention why it's a tricky one to get right.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

In my case, it's Dual ACs, LAGs and +Range, so there should be some headroom.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thank you for the additional info, noted.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile

Spoiler
[close]
Mule
Spoiler
[close]
Venture
Spoiler
[close]
Venture
Spoiler
[close]
Hard to say what they are shooting at.

As you can see they get too close. If somebody pop a torpedo its end in disaster and even not they often stick too close anyway.
I get why they get close - to use all their weapons on overwhelmed enemy - you can see all of them shooting from Mg/Vulcans but seriously. its not fun when they explode(especially with that Legendary Starships mod that count hull damage  for negative modifiers).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:29:50 AM by Sarissofoi »

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile

Question for now.
How to reduce explosion radius? Or turn it off?
There must be some settings somewhere.
Anyone can help?