Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Read the codex without pausing the game  (Read 1433 times)

duendeinexistente

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Read the codex without pausing the game
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »

The codex looks interesting but to read it I have to pause, and it looks like a good time killer when making long, uneventful trips thru hyperspace, could this be added please? And/or made into a mod?
It even has roleplaying potential. Your good captain reads up on history while traveling  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Read the codex without pausing the game
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

This has come up before, and yeah, sounds like a good idea on the surface, but it's tricky, what with the ever-present possibility of running into pirates, a black hole, or a hyper-storm. There would also have to at least be some way for the rest of the game to forcibly interrupt your reading because you're being shot at. Still, hmm. Let me think about this a bit more, in a "back of my mind" kind of way.

duendeinexistente

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

This has come up before, and yeah, sounds like a good idea on the surface, but it's tricky, what with the ever-present possibility of running into pirates, a black hole, or a hyper-storm. There would also have to at least be some way for the rest of the game to forcibly interrupt your reading because you're being shot at. Still, hmm. Let me think about this a bit more, in a "back of my mind" kind of way.
I did think about the mater of pirates.
No other interface in the game implements this (It looks unneeded so far) but the codex could be a draggable, resizable, rollable window, and to show, hide, or resize images and stats. The player would chose how much attention they pay to it, this way.
Then again adding window modes for exactly one part of the interface sounds dirty even to me, and it could as well have a button or two that let it take half or a quarter of the screen in different positions.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:09:05 PM »

You know, there used to be an old design paradigm where an application would open multiple windows.  Now, I know there are people who wouldn't find that useful here - but I've got multiple monitors and would be happy to have a 'open codex in separate window' option.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »

Hmm. I think introducing this would make players want to do other things, as well - changing some admins at a colony, say, or managing their cargo, or something else of that nature.

The problem, generally, is that sometimes things happen where the game needs to show a dialog. For example, let's say your fleet loses its last ship due to lack of supplies and an accident, or a mod shows a dialog for some kind of event happening, or a tutorial info dialog needs to pop up, etc.

Then keeping the main UI open would prevent that other dialog from showing up, so it just gets weird trying to deal with this case - it *mostly* works (in fact, you can unpause the game while the map or the rest of the UI is open, in devMode), but where it doesn't work, it's a real pain. Not that it couldn't be worked around somehow, it's just a lot more effort/testing edge cases/etc than it might seem at first glance.

(For stuff like fleets, you could, say, force-pause the game is a hostile fleet is nearby/chasing the player, and that'd mostly take care of it. It's the other, less-well-defined stuff that's more troublesome.)

In any case, I've got some thoughts for cutting down on hyperspace travel time as the player gets deeper into the campaign, so that's another angle for addressing this :)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »

In any case, I've got some thoughts for cutting down on hyperspace travel time as the player gets deeper into the campaign, so that's another angle for addressing this :)
Good to hear!  Hopefully take two on travel time will be less problematic than Sustained Burn is.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »

I would not be surprised if the later game traveling is reopening the gates and travel from one gate system to another.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »

I would not be surprised if the later game traveling is reopening the gates and travel from one gate system to another.
I hope not unless that is super late game
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too