Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Yet another new player needs help  (Read 1525 times)

Fenris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Yet another new player needs help
« on: August 05, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »

I've only just begin the game. I have the mission to stabilize the jump point. I have to defeat the pirates first though. And I can't. They're destroying me! Any tips or pointers for the new guy?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another new player needs help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »

Lure one of the fleets away and fight it one-on-one, then fight the other when you're ready.

Fenris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »

I've got three ships. The fleet I lure away has seven. Plus several wings of fighters.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:13:19 AM »

If you have only three ships, you've messed up.  There should have been a mission to go recover some damaged hulls; start a new game and take -all- of them.  (Okay, you can skip the tanker if you want; it's not combat-useful.)

You may also want to consider: taking the accelerated start option with the Hammerhead; it comes with rare weapons and some high-value hull mods that you can't otherwise have access to at that point in the game.

Also, if you're not playing on easy, you probably should; Starsector has a steep learning curve, and while us veterans are okay on 'normal', it should be approached as more of a hard-mode than anything else.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Fenris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »

You may also want to consider: taking the accelerated start option with the Hammerhead; it comes with rare weapons and some high-value hull mods that you can't otherwise have access to at that point in the game.

Also, if you're not playing on easy, you probably should; Starsector has a steep learning curve, and while us veterans are okay on 'normal', it should be approached as more of a hard-mode than anything else.
Okay, Wyvern, I guess this is my plan. Thank you.

Fenris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »

Yup, that did the trick. Now the pirates are running from me. Thanks guys!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 09:51:26 PM »

Yeah, a tip to many new players: Many of us veteran players learned the game mechanics bit by bit. So we got to learn the combat before CR and PPT or before it effected everything.
To be honest, the Easy mode should either be named Normal and Normal, Hard. Or we need another difficulty... (Of course what would be REALLY nice would be in game adjustable custom difficulty)
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:45:56 PM »

Yeah, a tip to many new players: Many of us veteran players learned the game mechanics bit by bit. So we got to learn the combat before CR and PPT or before it effected everything.
To be honest, the Easy mode should either be named Normal and Normal, Hard. Or we need another difficulty... (Of course what would be REALLY nice would be in game adjustable custom difficulty)

Just tossing this one out there but you could probably make a pretty cushy custom start with the nex options you have to help beginners. Call it the starfarer start or something.