Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: [0.96a] Secrets of the Frontier (Prerelease 13.2a) - indev campaign mod  (Read 250855 times)

Ouchanrrul

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Secrets of the Frontier (Prerelease 12a) - indev campaign mod
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2022, 12:30:06 AM »

Just finished all the questlines this mod adds. I am blown away by the quality of this mod so far.
The writing is on par with that of the base game, and it doesn't intrude badly into any of the known lore. I love how it plays off of one of the newest and, imo, coolest additions to the base game, the Sensor Ghosts. The mystery as to what Sierra is, what her real potential is...

Absolutely fantastic work. Can't wait for the full release.

darkwarrior1000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2022, 11:50:49 PM »

I looked through bit of the code for the reinforcements stuff and it seems you pick the reinforcement ship randomly. this may be a big ask but is it possible to pick randomly while also managing a list of exclusions in a config file within the mod itself? you see, I play with a certain mod that adds remnant strike craft using the arma armatura framework and having them dock to refresh ppt or attempt a retreat results in some unintended behavior. I want to exclude similar things from reinforcement eligibility. I also believe this will help future proof this mod a bit.

I'm just an amateur coder but I can try my hand at a rough outline of how this would work. in the private functions in the file you add all the different variants for a given combat roll in the remnant list of available ships. perhaps, after the weighted random picker gets these variants ones demarcated in the hypothetical config file would be removed from the weighted random picker before the pick() function is called? granted, I'm unaware of the implementation of this weighted random picker so I don't know if things can be removed from it at all. if not, perhaps an intermediary object that would need to be created first to perform the removal operation before the result is then fed into the picker's addall function or perhaps there's already a more specific add function in the implementation that can sift against a given list of things.

sorry I can't be more specific. I haven't looked into starsector's source code too extensively.

Frosterus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2022, 04:06:38 PM »

Latest release (12a) marks itself as v0.0 in-game which makes Version Checker claim there's a new update.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2022, 07:24:45 PM »

I looked through bit of the code for the reinforcements stuff and it seems you pick the reinforcement ship randomly. this may be a big ask but is it possible to pick randomly while also managing a list of exclusions in a config file within the mod itself? you see, I play with a certain mod that adds remnant strike craft using the arma armatura framework and having them dock to refresh ppt or attempt a retreat results in some unintended behavior. I want to exclude similar things from reinforcement eligibility. I also believe this will help future proof this mod a bit.

I'm just an amateur coder but I can try my hand at a rough outline of how this would work. in the private functions in the file you add all the different variants for a given combat roll in the remnant list of available ships. perhaps, after the weighted random picker gets these variants ones demarcated in the hypothetical config file would be removed from the weighted random picker before the pick() function is called? granted, I'm unaware of the implementation of this weighted random picker so I don't know if things can be removed from it at all. if not, perhaps an intermediary object that would need to be created first to perform the removal operation before the result is then fed into the picker's addall function or perhaps there's already a more specific add function in the implementation that can sift against a given list of things.

sorry I can't be more specific. I haven't looked into starsector's source code too extensively.
I'll make a note to add a reinforcement hull blacklist (and probably disallow strikecraft from being picked regardless of being blacklisted, since that's bound to cause weirdness in any case), shouldn't be too much of an issue

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2022, 02:14:59 PM »

Possible problem -  got "Promise", went and found daddy-AI, rescued Sierra, stuck her in her ship, thought "welp, that's done", transverse jumped out and flew halfway across the sector before I realized there was one last objective to go back and talk to daddy-AI one more time to get the reinforcement ability.  Cursed a lot.  Flew back.  Re-entered system.  "Promise" immediately got marked as complete.  Flew to location of daddy-AI; no longer there.  No reinforcements for me.

One the one hand, it makes sense, and I have been known to complain about how games hand-hold the player all the time and there's no consequences and everything is always happy path, and this totally serves me right.

On the other hand, it would be nice if we could randomly run into him again somewhere to get the ability.

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2022, 11:16:30 AM »

Another problem:

I fight a fight.  A difficult fight.  I try it several times.  Finally I manage to get the upper hand.  I blow up lots of ships.  Enemy begins retreating; battle is over.  But there is one ship I want to make sure I kill.  I go chasing it.  Just before I finish it off, an enemy-held enhancement uplink gets repaired.  I finish killing the special target, hit Esc, click in the button spot, click the confirm because I don't care about chasing down whatever frigates are left, then scream in agony as I realize the button was "exit campaign" and not "exit battle" and I am now at the title menu and I have to do the whole damned thing all over again THANK YOU SIR.

Sir, I want my money back.  And my time.  And my victory.  And I want to speak to the manager.

Enhancement Uplinks should not count when measuring whether or not the enemy is retreating or not.

(e: emplacement Uplink?  Something starting with E.  The thing that makes turrets.  Turrets shouldn't invalidate a retreat.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 11:22:51 AM by vok3 »

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2022, 11:35:39 AM »

Omicron vanishing if you leave isn't intended behavior, I'll take a look into it but I'm not sure what's up with that.

As for emplacements, added a check to halt repairs if their capturing fleet is in full retreat (there's, uh, no "does not count for retreat calculation" flag, unfortunately)

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2022, 12:37:08 AM »

Sierra will repeatedly talk to you about the
Spoiler
Ziggurat
[close]
and I don't think this is intended.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

MrMech

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2022, 05:06:18 PM »

Sierra not only will talk constantly about the
Spoiler
Ziggy
[close]
, also
Spoiler
omega
[close]
, and I assume any other such encounter, so there is some common bug here

Allius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2022, 10:25:16 AM »

Would it be possible to add the Hyperwarp Jump ability to Omicron when they're supporting? When the mod is installed of course. When using it to travel around, Omicron takes a loooong time to catch up.

memeextremist

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »

oooh just saw this pop up on page 1. looks fun. time to test! :DDD

[update after playing with it]: LEGIT MOD WELL-DONE
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:45:18 PM by memeextremist »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2022, 04:39:02 PM »

Excellent mod overall, though:

This mod makes pursuit maps really tiny. Great if you're the player trying to run away, I guess? But very annoying if you as the player are trying to pursue someone else.

Also, I have (once, non-replicable) had the game stall out on heading to a dockside bar: just totally locked up, no error messages, nothing to do but force-quit the game and try again. This was (some time) after adding the mod mid-save, and I've never seen that sort of error before (or since.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2022, 10:16:30 PM »

I did notice that if you try to quit out of the initial "A Promise" bar dialogue, the game is rather unhappy about actually letting you do so and will kind of force you to do the event.

OrariusTempus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2022, 03:02:31 PM »

The Omicron reinforcement doesn't seem to be working correctly. I call in omicron, he arrives and follows me just fine. Problem is, he doesn't actually act as reinforcement, even when all three fleets (me, him, enemy) are making a venn diagram. Additionally, interacting with the fleet acts as if it's a neutral fleet (comms does nothing, and im given the option to "move in to engage").

Otherwise, lovely mod.

OrariusTempus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2022, 05:45:12 PM »

Issue with the reinforcements objective that I just stumbled across:
Fought an ordo, couldn't tell which ones were actually part of the initial fleet and which were respawns, so after I killed the final radiant I retreated, rather than fight my way through everything to try and capture the objectives back from the respawns, which kept tug-of-war-ing me over them (multiple reinforcement objectives). Anyways, it turned out I killed the entire original fleet. Because I "escaped", it punted me out of the fleet combat dialogue screen... And the ordo was gone. I couldn't loot anything, recover any ships (theirs or my own), etc. Forced me to load last save. Couldn't "claim victory" because the respawns are drones and refuse to give up or whatever. Don't know how difficult it would be to fix this, but perhaps something to look into hen you have a chance?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28