Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Game wont start  (Read 1435 times)

hexwrench

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Game wont start
« on: August 03, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »

so I just bought this and when I hit play on the launcher I get a couple errors and im not too sure what to do about them.

I really hope someone can figure out what is going on from the pictures im posting

and sorry about the less than eloquent thread, its late and im not the most tech literate person lol

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:08:51 PM by hexwrench »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game wont start
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »

Hi - grabbing the OpenAL installer here should resolve this issue:

https://www.openal.org/downloads/

The game comes with OpenAL DLL files, but sometimes windows has a bit of trouble using the right set of DLLs. Hopefully this will fix it for you.

hexwrench

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »

I tried that, removed it and tried again, im still getting the same errors

bowenandarrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 08:26:14 PM »

I'm getting exactly the same issues. Tried installing openal, as posted but it didn't help either.

Edit: I have been able to get the game to launch though, i just have to unselect sound at the launcher. But i have no sound.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:28:11 PM by bowenandarrow »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »

Could you try searching for OpenAL32.dll and OpenAL64.dll on your harddrive, and then removing any copies that are somewhere under the windows/ directory?

If there are other copies as well that are provided by some other software, you'd want to make sure that software isn't running (and doesn't start on boot), and then reboot. This looks like an issue caused by the wrong version of the OpenAL dll being picked up by the game (despite it specifying which one to use; windows is a bit funny like that sometimes), so cleaning up other versions that are on your system may/should help.

Actually, doing a reboot first, and then trying to run the game, might not hurt either.

hexwrench

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 08:54:29 PM »

searched for it, deleted all of them, reinstalled, restarted and still not working. then tried a few more times. Im sure im doing something wrong

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 08:59:03 PM »

Oh! Was remembering seeing something similar a while back, finally found it:

Relevant info:

Running the game with the sounds enabled, but with no device to play it on (i.e. you have no connected speakers, headphones or whatnot) will crash the game on startup 100% of the time.
Make sure you have your headphones, speakers, or whatever connected before you start the game with sound enabled. Otherwise, tick that sound option to off.

Does this match your situation? The crash, at least, appears to be the same (the alDistanceModel message).

bowenandarrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 10:27:30 PM »

No, I definitely have headphones connected. I have gone from one game to another with the sound working. Going to try searching for other versions of openal and reinstalling. See what happens.

bowenandarrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 10:34:12 PM »

Ok, following the advice of Alex: I searched for OpenAL32.dll, deleted it, rebooted, installed it and then ran starsector. It worked, sound it working. Thanks.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »

Nice, glad that worked for you!

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 12:18:31 PM »

searched for it, deleted all of them, reinstalled, restarted and still not working. then tried a few more times. Im sure im doing something wrong

A bit of a long shot, but what's your default sound device set to?

Control Panel>Sound>Playback> ? Make sure it's /speakers/ or something akin to that, or whatever you know you're using, and also, try going into Properties for it, Advanced, and try unticking Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' under the Exclusive mode settings. (also what's the default Format at? try setting it to 24bit 48Hz Studio and see if it helps)

hexwrench

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »

Im connected to the speakers on my tv, also tried with a set of headphones and tried doing what you said, still no luck.

Is it because im getting openAL32.dll instead of openAL64.dll through the installer since im on a 64 bit system?

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »

I just checked locally, and i do have an OpenAL32.dll and 64.dll in my Starsector directory, and in my Windows folder i only have OpenAL32.dll. The official download on the OpenAL site only comes with OpenAL32.dll. You don't specifically need 'the 64 bit version'.

To be super sure, if you want, do this for the OpenAL32.dll https://kb.blackbaud.com/articles/Knowledge/48728 , then uninstall via control panel OpenAL, then to delete it from Windows folder if it isn't (sys32 and syswow32), then reboot, reinstall via the official OpenAL site, grab the OpenAL64.dll from the Starsector directory and throw that into System32 and SysWOW32 and finally do this for OpenAL32.dll and 64 from the System32 folder:  https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/register-dll-file-in-windows/

By that point, it should be utterly bulletproof and i have no clue what could cause the issue further past that point.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:03:11 PM by Cosmitz »