Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game CTD  (Read 844 times)

Shixor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Game CTD
« on: August 03, 2019, 03:57:06 AM »

When starting a new game after it finishes loading (after picking all the starting options like name etc) the game simply closes/crashes without an error message. The tutorial and solo missions are both working normally.
I tried starting the game both with the .exe and the .bat, it makes no difference. (It's also not in my download folder). I looked into the saves folder and it seems it's creating a file with the specifications of the options (atleast the name) I picked for my new game but I can't load anything.
I'm using Windows 7.

Edit: Nevermind... Of course I manage to fix it soon after making a thread. Anyway, I have no clue what happened, the third/forth reinstall while shuffling the game folder around did the trick.

Second Edit: The game crahed again after I played for about 10 minutes on the second F5 save and the I have the same problem again. Can't start a new game *and* can't load the save that I now have since both just crash.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:27:48 AM by Shixor »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game CTD
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 07:25:58 AM »

Sorry about the trouble! That's... really odd. Could you try running the game as administrator? Also, if you've got an anti-virus running, could you try turning it off temporarily?

Also: in the game's folder (or possibly in starsector-core), there may be a few files named hs_err_pidXXXXX.log, where XXXXX is a number. If you could attach one of those here - if they're present - that could help narrow things down.

RunWithTheWolves

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 01:30:46 PM »

Got same error, here is my error log.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shixor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »

Starting as admin doesn't do anything. I attached the log. I guess that's the cause: "Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows".

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:01:25 PM by Shixor »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »

Thanks for the logs! In both cases, it looks like a crash in the nvidia graphics driver. Updating to the latest version (or, if you're already at the latest, downgrading a few versions back) *should* resolve the problem.

Shixor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »

I made sure to update both java and the nvidia graphics driver but it didn't do anything.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »

Hmm - just updating Java shouldn't affect the game, since it comes with a bundled version of Java that it uses, but you could try switching the game over to use another version of Java to see if it helps. I wrote some instructions for that here:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15777.msg254379#msg254379

In your case, you'd skip the first step since you've already got a JRE on your system.

Shixor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »

Sadly didn't help either. The same thing happens.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »

Ahh, one more idea occurs, actually! Could you open up data/config/settings.json and set "processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading" to false there?

There's a solid chance this gets around the issue entirely, though it might make the game say that it's "not responding" while loading or saving, though it would come back and it wouldn't actually affect the save/load process, would just make the OS think the game is  hung when it's not.

Shixor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »

That worked! The game stutters a bit while saving but it works. Thanks a lot.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »

Nice, whew!

(Edit: this shouldn't be necessary for you to do in the next release, whenever that is; I've re-written that bit of the code in a way that should get around this trouble spot.)