Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sseth Tide  (Read 22155 times)

cerebus23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Sseth Tide
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 06:19:16 AM »

I spend time on gaming forums and never even heard of this game, seith's video (and praise) peaked my interest in the game i had never heard of even. I might share the game on the forums i frequent even been enjoying it, alpha and warts and all.

only problem is starsector and starcontrol are really easy to conflait in your head when you not that familiar.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 06:26:06 AM »

Starfarer.

*Ghost of the past christmas*  uuuUuuuu.

cerebus23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 06:33:24 AM »

Starfarer.

*Ghost of the past christmas*  uuuUuuuu.

lol star(something) one hundred games.

Ghoulishtie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »

Being a fan of FTL: Faster Than Light, I was immediately interested in this game after my friend linked me Sseths video. It has many things that I enjoy, not to mention being able to pause time at any point is a godsend for me. Personally I wasn't much of a fan of the "hold shift" style of combat until I learned you can select that option where the ship always follows your mouse which has been wonderful.

I'd love to see this eventually hit steam and would definitely be willing to buy again if it came down to it. Steam could lead to more exposure, which would in return lead to more possible mods which I plan to dive into once I've had my fill of vanilla content.

My only issue so far has been the overwhelming number of ships and weapons you can use. So far I've just used the presets but it makes me feel like I'm severely hindering the capability of my ships not knowing which gun/mod is best for which ship. I'll learn eventually.

MilitaryAaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2019, 08:06:57 AM »

Watched his review, failed to get on the site afterwards :V, waited a week and finally got it.

Crawford

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »

Simple but well done.

More plausible end game content and more easing into control schemes (outside of tutorials) and this would be ready to be a AAA+ game on Steam or GOG. Its already Factorio good, it just wouldn't sit well in those markets as a "unfinished product" label since consumers in those markets expect weekly, monthly at most updates, instead of yearly like Starsector is.

I don't quite agree here. The game has a lot of moving parts in it. It's a little bit tough to get into, and you have to be the kind of person who likes exploring and learning new things. I'd think it's too complicated and difficult to really get wide or popular appeal. This is a niche title for core gamers, hobbyists, and people who like to think. The good news is that this is generally a passionate and dedicated group of people that are underserved by wider society, so it's probably one of the best ways to build a consistent, amazing community. It's got a lot in common with Dwarf Fortress and Factorio, quality being among them.

The game, from what little I've tried of it, really is something amazing and special. It deserves a lot more attention and praise than it's been getting. This is some of gaming at it's absolute best. Great developers, great community, lots to do and experiment with in-game. I honestly don't think I could ask for more. It's just that this kind of game is a bit of an investment in time and learning for me right now, and when other things in life start to grab my attention, this might fall by the wayside.

I've heard the game doesn't have an autosave, so that's something to consider. I'm sure there are mods for that, though.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »

Simple but well done.

More plausible end game content and more easing into control schemes (outside of tutorials) and this would be ready to be a AAA+ game on Steam or GOG. Its already Factorio good, it just wouldn't sit well in those markets as a "unfinished product" label since consumers in those markets expect weekly, monthly at most updates, instead of yearly like Starsector is.

I don't quite agree here. The game has a lot of moving parts in it. It's a little bit tough to get into, and you have to be the kind of person who likes exploring and learning new things. I'd think it's too complicated and difficult to really get wide or popular appeal. This is a niche title for core gamers, hobbyists, and people who like to think. The good news is that this is generally a passionate and dedicated group of people that are underserved by wider society, so it's probably one of the best ways to build a consistent, amazing community. It's got a lot in common with Dwarf Fortress and Factorio, quality being among them.

The game, from what little I've tried of it, really is something amazing and special. It deserves a lot more attention and praise than it's been getting. This is some of gaming at it's absolute best. Great developers, great community, lots to do and experiment with in-game. I honestly don't think I could ask for more. It's just that this kind of game is a bit of an investment in time and learning for me right now, and when other things in life start to grab my attention, this might fall by the wayside.

I've heard the game doesn't have an autosave, so that's something to consider. I'm sure there are mods for that, though.

Both RimWorld and Factorio have decent tutorials for core mechanics.

Not saying Starsector doesn't, but some features (like colonies) aren't expanded upon. Nor is the economy really explained till you learn to play.

Im not talking "indepth" I mean the very basics, like the fact that starting up a colony will get you invaded by pirates very shortly, and expeditions later. Thats not explained in any tutorial (nor I think tooltip).

The fact that the economy is dynamic isn't really explained in any of the tutorials either, you kinda just stumble upon it after a while.

Everything else is pretty well explained, basics wise, and can be explored later for more advanced stuff.

cerebus23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »

Yea everyones first colony is doomed because you dunno wth your doing other putting down some buildings. It is not explained at all lol.

So you fail hard then you go online and look for advice and wth you did wrong.

And yea its i just maybe using your head and buying security stuff first before you put down industries. So you have some defense on your planet and a starbase of some sort defending. But that also means you need to grind money up, because you cant have a income coming in at all for months, but your mid late game before your first one usually and can run missions and etc to afford a starbase and patrol hq some marines to put on the planet and some heavy weapons i think also add defense, not sure tho.

Then when you put down that industry those initial raids are not going to be much of a threat. especially if you can run 2 starbases patrols in one system etc.

Toss that out the window if your at full on war with someone and drop a colony down anywhere near their stuff. even pirates you peeve them off badly enough they will attack anything and everything you try and put down. but generally the above holds true atm.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 06:49:38 PM »

Used to be fairly active on this forum and sort of a ***  ;D

Hadn't played much of the game for a few years. Had tried it after Hyperspace got introduced and something about it jived wrong with me and I stopped again.

Decided to try it again after seeing the video and have spent probably 20 hours in it in the last week or two. It's just as amazing as I remembered if not better. Great work Alex!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2019, 06:55:30 PM »

I thought your name looked familiar when I saw it here :) Welcome back, and thank you!

manictiger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »

You used to be limited to just the Corvus system.

(And before that, it was just missions from the main menu, and with no refitting.)

I found this game from Steam on the X4 forums actually, but then I read about this guys review and watched it and it sold me on buying it just now :D. I wanted to wait for a Steam release, and I can't remember the last game I bought that was not on Steam(probably WoW). I rarely buy things not on Steam PC related, but I caved in here and glad I did. You know your making a great game to get me to buy it lol. Hopefully we can get a key when it comes out on Steam eventually(if it does).

Hah! Thank you :) (Yeah, if/when/etc; things have to line up, so I can't make any real promises on that account.)

That is so far back, I forgot the game used to look like that.  Had to look up the "WTF is Starfarer" video to remember what it used to look like.  Man the game's come so far.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:02:32 PM by manictiger »

bamzooki2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2019, 01:45:10 AM »

You used to be limited to just the Corvus system.

(And before that, it was just missions from the main menu, and with no refitting.)

I found this game from Steam on the X4 forums actually, but then I read about this guys review and watched it and it sold me on buying it just now :D. I wanted to wait for a Steam release, and I can't remember the last game I bought that was not on Steam(probably WoW). I rarely buy things not on Steam PC related, but I caved in here and glad I did. You know your making a great game to get me to buy it lol. Hopefully we can get a key when it comes out on Steam eventually(if it does).

Hah! Thank you :) (Yeah, if/when/etc; things have to line up, so I can't make any real promises on that account.)

That is so far back, I forgot the game used to look like that.  Had to look up the "WTF is Starfarer" video to remember what it used to look like.  Man the game's come so far.

And now i'm sad :(, thanks TB for introducing me to such an awesome game.

ThePinkPanzer

• Commander
  • Professional accidentaly rude person
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »

Decided to try it again after seeing the video and have spent probably 20 hours in it in the last week or two

Is there a play logger in the game, or is this a rough estimate?
You could easily do it by adding it as a non-Steam game or getting a third party, but mine was just a guesstimate.

firestormXL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »

I watched the review and bought the game immediately. I've not responded until now because I have been too busy playing. I'd never heard of this before Sseth review but knew I would love it immediately. it makes me think of a single player Eve Online, except... fun.

SKKiro

• Ensign
  • Remember 15/08/2018 always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »

For some reason it remind me a of a singleplayer Ogame. Beside the space battle and colony theme there's not much in common between the two though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:03:56 PM by SKKiro »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]