Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In game notifications and dead ships.  (Read 2396 times)

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
In game notifications and dead ships.
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:55:39 AM »

So the notifications that pop up on the left side of the screen disappear even if the game is paused and I can’t get to them fast enough sometimes. Is there a way to bring them back up? I have not found a way. And a log of all that would be super handy. Along the same lines why is there no way to tell if I’ve lost ships during battle other than the spam at the top left that no one has time to read during battle? Am I missing something? When I go to the reinforcements tab why doesn’t it show disabled ships? I’ve lost ships and not recovered them because I didn’t even know I had lost any. Seems like a fairly important thing, again maybe I’m just missing something.

Draken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: In game notifications and dead ships.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 10:08:26 PM »

The intel screen lets you review the relevance messages from the left hand side of the screen.

As for disabled ships, they are marked on the tactical map (all disabled ships, not just yours) and in the post battle report (split by side so you can quickly see what you lost vs what the AI lost).

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:28:24 PM »

To add to what Draken said, not all ships are recoverable, so it is possible that those ships were simply a unrecoverable loss and you didn't actually mess up.

However, if your ships are recoverable, they will appear with a slightly bluish box around them in the ship recovery screen after battle.

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 10:32:33 AM »

So I know about the post battle review, but let’s say I have a fleet of 25 and I lose 5-8 ships in a battle but only half are recoverable. There is no way to know what’s gone forever? I like to have a set fleet for certain things and want to replace lost ships. It’s weird that there is not a list during battle that looks like the post battle thing. And it should let us know what ships are gone forever?

As far as the Intel, even that goes away after a while right? Also I was thinking a transaction intel screen would be handy too. Eh?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »

You can force ships to be recoverable by using reinforced bulkheads or a certain skill that makes it so that all officered ships are recoverable
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 04:47:48 AM »

Again it’s not so much that I want to be able to recover it, it’s more I want to know what I lost so I can replace it. It happened again last night, full fleet, post battle I have 2 empty slots “when did that happen?!” It’s weird that it doesn’t tell you on the tactile map or at least in the reinforcements tab, it’s also weird that all dead ships regardless of who’s they are just turn blue.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »

Hum? It shows up in the post-battle screen, little red 'explodey' UI elements over your ships.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »

Again it’s not so much that I want to be able to recover it, it’s more I want to know what I lost so I can replace it. It happened again last night, full fleet, post battle I have 2 empty slots “when did that happen?!” It’s weird that it doesn’t tell you on the tactile map or at least in the reinforcements tab, it’s also weird that all dead ships regardless of who’s they are just turn blue.
When you get the recovery dialogue, ships that you have that were destroyed and recoverable will have a blue background behind them.
Now if you want in combat notifications of their death and other issues (out of missiles, overloaded, etc) then get the mod combat chatter here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10399.msg248089#msg248089
The "blue ships" are neutral ships. IE all ships become neutral when they die
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 03:56:17 AM »

Oh, I misunderstood. If you want to see which ships you lost, just look at the post combat screen. The fleets will be divided with your fleet above the divider, and the enemy below. Any ships you lost permanently will appear with the little red explosion symbol on them.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 04:42:49 AM »

Yeah it's pretty hard to not notice the list of lost ships in the after-engagement report.

Though it would still be mildly nice to have an in-combat display of which ships have been killed (or retreated).

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 04:56:59 AM »

It’s actually very easy to overlook your own ships when there are 100 ships and you have allies and you think you didn’t lose any ships because you’re not properly notified during battle. Especially when the explosion symbol covers most of the ship haha. And when you’re in and out of fights a lot I tend to not spend a ton of time on that screen.

Basically all I’m saying is that that post battle screen with the exploded ships should appear in battle in the reenforcements screen. It’s already half implemented, just... one... more... step.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »

I would quite like the reinforcements screen to show ships that have exploded. Quite a few times I've lost track of ships on the battle map (it can get quite cluttered), spent a minute searching for them, and been unable to find them. Oh, they probably exploded. It would be a nice time saver to not have to do that.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »

The interaction dialog with the fleet shows you which ships you lost. It doesn't show you which ships specifically you recovered, but you will most likely identify them by looking for 0% CR, 0% integrity "held in reserve" ships.
If you tend to miss it by paying too little attention, consider paying more attention to it. Not everything has to be in your face.
Spoiler

[close]

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »

I think the post combat screen is fine (and very clear), but I think it would be a useful addition to the reinforcements pane in combat for, well, in combat knowledge.