Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm worried about mines  (Read 2407 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
I'm worried about mines
« on: July 26, 2019, 03:39:18 AM »

... That's it really. I've heard a lot about how overpowered they are, on the Doom specifically, but that little has been said about them or the Mine Strike system being nerfed at any point in the future. :-\ I haven't experienced mines much myself, but I have flown a Doom post-0.8, and it was a barrel of fun. I would hate to see it lose the Mine Strike. But at the same time, I'm a big stickler for balance, and I did find it quite strong in combat.

Is there a nerf for mines incoming? The general consensus I've gathered is that there should be one, at the very least a damage reduction or similar.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I'm worried about mines
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 04:58:57 AM »

The only possible nerf I remember reading is mines may spawn further away from frigates to mitigate unfair instant death.

As for mines being overpowered in general, I disagree with that "general consensus".  Doom is too slow to flank ships and needs a system that powerful to be worth its DP cost.  (Doom without Mine Strike in prior releases was a joke of a ship.)  Star Fortresses need something beyond growing bigger to be worth it over Battlestations.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 06:47:47 AM »

Axle, it's a big thread, but you should read it to get to know what people think of Mine Strike and where is it going.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15495

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »

Sadly the Doom only lives up to its name with the Mine Strike system... Without it or another OP system, it is a pretty crap ship.
I do agree though that mines need tweaking. If the mine AoE was made so that the explosion damage was dependent on the distance to the center for the damage falloff, it would greatly help make mines less OP as hell
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 02:04:43 PM »

I do agree though that mines need tweaking. If the mine AoE was made so that the explosion damage was dependent on the distance to the center for the damage falloff, it would greatly help make mines less OP as hell

I've never used the Doom much myself; I thought the explosion damage already had a falloff depending on distance from the explosion center. If not, then... wow. No wonder they're so good, that is not a small explosion radius.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »

At the furthest range, damage from mines is reduced by only 50%, from 2k HE to 1k HE. It's still quite a bit.