Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cruiser Sized Fuel Tanker  (Read 3570 times)

theplayerx4734

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cruiser Sized Fuel Tanker
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »

When going from mid to late game, when you have a mainly Cruiser/Destroyer fleet, Prometheus are just too slow to keep up with a cruiser/destroyer fleet. And often times, at this point you will have 2-4 Phaetons. With cruiser fuel tankers, you could have 1-2 to support a Cruiser/Destroyer fleet.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cruiser Sized Fuel Tanker
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »

If tankers' stats stay the way they are, I would like a cruiser-sized tanker.  Phaeton does not carry enough, and Prometheus is a slow hog that burns too fuel.  Endgame, I bite the bullet and bring Prometheus (and occasionally scuttle if it burns too much fuel when I no longer need it).  For cargo, I do not need Atlas, just one Colossus plus the rest of my combat ships.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 10:51:53 AM »

Wouldn't making a Hull Mod that provides more Burn at a reasonable cost in Fuel solve this problem?

IDK; the whole concept of "need fuel tankers you'll never use in combat" is still troubling me; I feel like this is an area of the game design that's never really been addressed well.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »

The only reason Prometheus and Atlas are even relevant is fleet size cap. In terms of supply-per-month/fuel-per-ly to capacity, Dram/Phaeton and Buffalo are perfectly sufficient.
Background mechanic that shouldn't affect player much, right...?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »

Yeah I rarely if ever see the support ships as they only appear in battles that I otherwise autoresolve. I'm sure a pursuit battle is fun if you pilot but otherwise you basically just let the enemy go as your AI scoots about.

I love the idea of an almost support fleet to upkeep the combat fleet, as we rarely get to see in video-games where the support elements are just abstracted away. Where's my hospital ships? Command ships? Communication ships and scout ships? I guess the selection of shuttles and freighters can all technically do this now, but it's so abstracted that it exists as much as it does not.

I'd love to have more combat capable or battle variants of support ships as well, just for spice.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »

pls a high-tech tanker

pls  :-*
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »

Wouldn't making a Hull Mod that provides more Burn at a reasonable cost in Fuel solve this problem?
No, because capital-sized haulers already drink as much fuel as a battleship, and making them drink even more fuel would really hurt.  (Tugs do this, in effect, but at least it helps all of the slowest ships instead of only one of them.)  If the hullmod is a campaign one that competes with Augmented Engines, Efficiency Overhaul, Militarized Subsystems, and others, forget about it.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:45:01 PM »

Ah, there's that.  So, maybe tone down their fuel use a bit, give them a way to get from A --> B?

IDK; in Rebal, they're basically given (weak) combat role, as makeshift carriers, so that players don't have these things they'll never use for anything but stats.  It's kind of cool breaking one out in emergencies.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 03:18:21 AM »

Let's just smash stuff together and see if anything fits:

A Colossus engine block, with 2x Pheaton tank assemblies mounted side-by-side on the front of it.
Basically unarmed, except for a couple of 'afterthought' mounts on the tank structure.

A Falcon engine block with tanks replacing the 'wings'.
The rear small weapon mounts remain. But everything else is gone, and would only be after the fact bolt-ons on whatever structure can support them.

An Apogee spine, with tank assemblies mounted one on either side so the only weapon mounts left from the Apo are the two rear mediums and the central small hardpoint.

A Mora with all it's bays stripped out and replaced with tanks, and all the port-side structure replaced with yet more tanks.
All it's starboard-side weapons remain intact, while it's only port-side weapon to remain is the single small mount just forward of the engine.

A Heron with it's bays and 'wings' removed and replaced with tanks.
The rear small mounts remain. As do the medium and the forward-most small.

A plain old Starliner conversion.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 08:54:42 PM »

A plain old Starliner conversion.
Instead of a swimming pool full of water, it is a swimming pool full of antimatter!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »

Instead of a swimming pool full of water, it is a swimming pool full of antimatter!
Fairly safe!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 02:35:04 PM »

Fairly safe!
I bet you could make one HELL of a cannonball splash!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too