Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please add an option for Auto-Saves  (Read 2348 times)

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Please add an option for Auto-Saves
« on: July 26, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »

I understand saving takes a while, but what takes even longer is rebuilding hours of gameplay after it crashes and you haven't saved in a while. I just lost like 4hrs of gameplay and am very sad.
A possible suggestion to stop it being intrusive: Autosave whenever you enter or exit a system if there hasn't been an autosave in the last 5 or 10 minutes.
Furthermore: This would make ironman mode actually matter, since you seem to be able to save-scum in ironman regardless if you so wish.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:58:02 AM by Arakasi »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please add an option for Auto-Saves
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »

In normal mode, I do not want to game to autosave at all unless it I opt-in for that.  (I do not like games saving except exactly when I tell it to.)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »

You're in luck, there is a mod that reminds you to save. And it can also autosave if you want but many times the reminders are enough. You need to edit the options file in order to enable autosave though
The mod: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9748.0
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:55:43 AM »

You're in luck, there is a mod that reminds you to save. And it can also autosave if you want but many times the reminders are enough. You need to edit the options file in order to enable autosave though

Thanks for that, should be useful - however I think it should still be a vanilla option.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 08:52:15 PM »

Thanks for that, should be useful - however I think it should still be a vanilla option.
I HIGHLY doubt it will ever be vanilla just because of how long, and how many resources, SS takes to save
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 12:10:28 AM »

I HIGHLY doubt it will ever be vanilla just because of how long, and how many resources, SS takes to save

I'm not quite sure what causes people to say this - it takes me like 5 seconds, max, even with mods. But that's why it should be an optional feature, for people who would rather not be interrupted.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 12:53:27 AM »

I'm not quite sure what causes people to say this - it takes me like 5 seconds, max, even with mods.

Not everyone has a supercomputer.